There are 3.2M AR-15's in civilian hands in the US

When I started to read the statement I though about the NICS check and thought to myself that was a check on whether you were a PP and as far as I remember no mention of type a firearm was mentioned during the check.

Last edited:
Probably used the same methodology that these shitheels used (it's Slate, so take it for what it's worth).

In 2009, in a declaration made as part of the court case Heller v. District of Columbia, which challenged D.C.’s assault weapons ban, NRA research coordinator Mark Overstreet reported that, from 1986 to 2007, at least 1,626,525 AR-15-style semi-automatic rifles were produced and not exported from the United States. Overstreet suggested that you could use trends in NICS background checks to project future sales of AR-15-style rifles. As of Nov. 30, 2012, the total number of NICS background checks increased by 50.4 percent since the end of 2007. If the number of AR-15 rifles increased similarly, then that means there are at least 2,446,294 AR-15 rifles currently available in the United States.

That “at least” is an important caveat. These data only include firearms manufactured in the United States. In his declaration, Overstreet notes that, since 1986, “U.S.-made firearms have accounted for roughly three-fourths of all new firearms available on the commercial market in the United States.” So if you increase the above number to account for foreign-made, AR-15-style rifles, you get 3,261,725 total rifles.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/20...many_assault_rifles_are_there_in_america.html

read an article yesterday that one online shop sold 30,000 AR15s in the days after Orlando. I'll see if I can track that down.

EDIT

Here it is

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016/06/19/gun-shop-sells-30000-ar-15s-in-week-following-orlando-attack/

He's trolling [rofl]

SmSc0bM.jpg

cHfxXXr.jpg

ZvFdcjW.jpg

XIKmcGY.jpg

SrqsFuA.jpg

nVvmzFY.jpg

BWllf7N.jpg

http://www.gunshopstatecollege.com/

Last edited:
The ATF knows how many where manufactured how many where sold to US citizens, well that's the part we don't know ? IIRC the US manufactures combined built 2 million AR 15s between 2000-2010 so I don't think the 3 mil number would be low.
As much as the AR might be popular on a daily basis its not the most sold and or produced rifle out there.

I have 10 friends I call gun people 3 have ARs of some sort. All of them have a 10/22 8 of them have marlin model 60s. 5 of them have revolvers of some sort.

Of all the people I know that have purchased a firearm in the last 3 years have been handguns or 22s

I will throw this out there also. I know more people that have purchased a M1 garand in the past 3 years than a AR15.

that's just me though? average age of most people I am in contact with that are gun friendly 40s

NH doesn't do NICS checks on stripped lowers.. the checks go the State Police. So anyone in NH building a rifle in NH isn't on that list. I suspect this could be the same for a number of other States. So add one more, and maybe a couple more later this year to the total number.
Actually, NH dealers go to the NH Dep't of Safety for handguns and to the FBI (NICS) for long guns and "others". Jack.

The ATF knows how many where manufactured how many where sold to US citizens, well that's the part we don't know ? IIRC the US manufactures combined built 2 million AR 15s between 2000-2010 so I don't think the 3 mil number would be low.
As much as the AR might be popular on a daily basis its not the most sold and or produced rifle out there.

I have 10 friends I call gun people 3 have ARs of some sort. All of them have a 10/22 8 of them have marlin model 60s. 5 of them have revolvers of some sort.

Of all the people I know that have purchased a firearm in the last 3 years have been handguns or 22s

I will throw this out there also. I know more people that have purchased a M1 garand in the past 3 years than a AR15.

that's just me though? average age of most people I am in contact with that are gun friendly 40s

2012 was a very good year! [smile]

Production of handguns rose 32 percent to four million in 2012, as compared to 2011, including a 36 percent increase in pistols and an 18 percent increase in revolvers. Production of the AR-15, the most popular rifle in America, more than doubled in 2012, to over 825,000, not counting the large numbers made by Remington, Bushmaster and Sturm, Ruger. Total rifle production rose 38 percent, to three million, while shotguns rose 18 percent to 900,000.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...-in-2012-ar-15-production-up-over-100-percent

Several states are exempt from NICS if you meet certain requirements. As an example, if you have a concealed weapons permit in AZ, you just fill out the 4473 and call it a day, no NICS check. That potentially means that number is REALLY underestimated.

Back
Top Bottom