1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

.......Then I Went Home And Changed My Pants

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zappa, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Joshua Packer

Joshua Packer

I appreciate your sympathies more than words, also to any and all who have lost in tragic events. Losing someone close to you, changes your life in ways that are hard to understand even after so many years. Thanks to all who give respects and I give mine to all. Life goes on for survivors and we do what we can to make the world a better place for each other.

clampett, Energizer, TLB and 4 others like this.
  2. fencer

fencer NES Member

Unfortunately, I have had to fight through the pain of loss more than I care to remember, but nothing compares to the loss of a child. I watched my father waste away from pancreatic cancer when I was 12, and saw some things in the Marines I wish I could unsee, but when my sister died in a car accident, telling my mom was far and away the hardest thing I ever had to do.

Joshua Packer and RHJJ like this.
  3. RHJJ

RHJJ

I could not imagine that, God love you.

Joshua Packer likes this.
  4. Joshua Packer

Joshua Packer

It’s never easy. Thanks for sharing and my utmost condolences to your losses, it’s all too difficult to really speak in words, but ruining ourselves is not what any of them would have wanted. Thank you for your service. I’m also serving, 15 years in the Army Reserve and going. While deployments are difficult, I still enjoy shooting on the ranges.

boilermaker and fencer like this.
  5. AHM

AHM NES Member

I am humbled to meet you, and grateful to hear from you;
    please take care.

Joshua Packer likes this.
  6. Joshua Packer

Joshua Packer

It’s a heart wrenching memory, one I can only read about myself as I was only 8yo at the time. I am grateful for you and all who remember my sister. Her passing was and is horrific, but her life will always be in our hearts as a treasure that never loses value yet always increases. Thank you, more than I can say in words, but thank you for keeping her memory alive...it means a lot to me.

AHM, boilermaker and fencer like this.
  7. fencer

fencer NES Member

I truly wish your arrival here had been brought about under more pleasant circumstances, but Welcome to NES.
    I found this place when my son got to be of the age that I wanted to teach him about firearms safety and shooting sports, and did a google search about Mass licensing, etc. I had been a gun owner all my life, but had never sought my LTC. I also felt a sense of urgency because of Obama being elected, and the very real threat that our rights were being systematically eliminated.
    With knowledge, and advice, I acquired here, I applied for my LTC, and when I discovered how unnecessarily difficult our politicians had made it to exercise our rights, I decided to get involved. Turns out, I was one of millions that Obama prompted to stand up and say " f*** this! This is still America!" To many people had fought for our 2a rights to sit idly by while some politician tried to take those rights away because he thought it politically advantageous.
    As luck would have it, the Chief of Police in my town, is a staunch supporter of the 2nd, and after months of waiting, I was given an unrestricted LTC. Once I made the decision to carry a firearm, I felt it was my responsibility to become proficient and to become familiar with all applicable, often ridiculous, state laws. All of this info can be found here on NES. Training, advice, legal guidance and more about firearm ownership.
    But I soon discovered great stuff about any topic you could think of from weather to automotive, cooking to current events. NES is my go to, because no matter the subject matter, there is someone here that knows about it.
    NES is like a big family. The good and the bad. We disagree, fight and sometimes get a little too passionate about stupid shit. But at the end of the day, are very supportive and are lucky to have some great people as members.
    So again Welcome to NES.This place is a whole lot more than just a gun forum. I hope you stick around a while.

whatluck, clampett, Energizer and 5 others like this.
  8. Noreaster

Noreaster

@Zappa , Dude glad you are ok. A bus like that is supposed to have a CDL driver, so the standards are higher, there is no reason that DB should have been that close to you. Holy F.

Fire up a go fund me. We are all going to buy you a fancy ass dash cam so we can get the plate numbers of a-holes like this. A cam wont save you, but reporting F_ckwits could save someone.

fencer likes this.
  9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

First - that move-over law is a PITA. It's slow down OR move over. You get these people that see lights and dive 3 lanes left and BRAKE LIKE THEY ARE GONNA HIT A BABY SEAL! ARGGHH!!!!

Second - I think it was AAA that did a study maybe 20+ years ago. Human nature is if you aren't paying attention to actually DRIVING your vehicle (which a lot of people do a lot of the time) AND you become fixated on an object, the natural tendency is to turn your body (ie: THE WHOLE CAR) towards the object you are viewing. Ergo, tons of accidents annually where a car on a hwy hits a parked car or something. Just SLAMS right into it. Driver never realizes they are doing it until they go BOOM!

So FWIW, if you need to stop - GET OFF THE HIGHWAY! If you break down, stay AHEAD of your car, not behind. It isn't good enough to be far away to the right of your vehicle. Be up-traffic of it as well. (Most folks stand down-traffic. And can get hit with flying debris/vehicles.)

SKumar likes this.
  10. falcon123

falcon123 NES Member

Should have emptied a full magazine into the bus.

fencer likes this.
  11. falcon123

falcon123 NES Member

Don't you have levers on both sides of the truck?

12. Joshua Packer

Joshua Packer

Thank you very much and I do plan to stick around.

fencer and AHM like this.
  13. fencer

fencer NES Member

My apologies for derailing Mr. Zappa's thread... Sorry @Zappa.

Glad you are still with us. Zappa threads are always a must read, especially anything lever gun related! Stay safe out there buddy! The rest of us are to cheap to get a news alert pager!

Zappa likes this.
  14. Deutsche_Dog

Deutsche_Dog NES Member

Scary shit! Glad you’re OK.

15. slap shot

slap shot NES Member

glad you lived to tell the tale, have to think cell phones are making your line of work more dangerous every day

16. capewalk

capewalk NES Member

If I had a dollar for every driver I pissed off by moving over and slowing down for for disabled vehicles, tow trucks, accident scenes and construction sites I could take that trip to the Netherlands I've always wanted. I drove for a towing company as my first trucking job. I've been slowing down and moving over for decades before it became a law. I'm glad you're OK. Keep your eyes on the traffic at all times.

17. AHM

AHM NES Member

Move over and slow down.

Because what better way to meet
    fellow drivers passing a stopped vehicle
    than to swerve into a travel lane and hit the brakes.

I hate this place.