• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The worst kind of Poser!

I dont know what some of you guys are talking about. I got care packages from the Stoughton VFW ,when in country.. I joined the post in the early 70s,maybe 74,then became a Life member.

I was heading home from Camp Edwards one day back in the summer of 2002 and there were a bunch of demonstrators protesting the war in the Falmouth commons. As I am waiting at a traffic light some hippy chick sees my uniform and yells "babykiller" at me. I thought it was kind of funny because it was such a throwback from the 60's. In a moment of inspiration, I yelled back something to the effect of "I never killed a baby in my life. How many abortions have you had, you liberal c*nt?"

Thanks for your service guys. I never saw any combat, though I did 8 years in the Guard as an 11-B and was called to active duty for 2 years after 9/11. I also can't stand when people lie about the nature of their service. It is enough for me to take pride that I wore the uniform and went where the Army sent me. It was not glorious, but someone had to do it I guess! Hate the war if you must, but always support the troops.

Last edited:
I dont know what some of you guys are talking about. I got care packages from the Stoughton VFW ,when in country.. I joined the post in the early 70s,maybe 74,then became a Life member.

You were fortunate. Many VFW's, Legions etc., during those years were not Vietnam Vet friendly and I suspect many are now suffering from the numbers game. That is unless they're like your Stoughton VFW.

Last Thursday at the Manchester, NH airport, I was waiting for Southnarc's flight.
While I was waiting, I noticed a young soldier waiting for his baggage.
Within a few minutes of his arrival at baggage claim a line formed (I got in line, but stopped counting when the line got to 40 people)
One by one each person in the line approached the soldier, shook his hand and said something to the effect of "Thank you for your service"
BTW, the young soldier was very embarrassed by the whole affair

This is one of those moments that make you proud to be an American.

Understood. I'm just pointing out that not everyone is/was like that. I'm younger, and so yes, growing up heard only of bad things that happened over there, and so grew up thinking that Vietnam was a mistake (I have continued to grow up, and now realize that I am not capable of judging something of that magnitude). Regardless of my thoughts on the war, or the politics of the war, I always supported the troops - even as a kid. And so did/does every single person I know. I'm sure that they exist, I've just never come across people who would admit to calling people baby-killers or acting like that. It's shameful. I do hope things have changed, and changed completely. Most everyone I know, of every political stripe, has total respect for the people like yourself who went thru things that would have completely destroyed us. I know where my head was at at 18-20, and I doubt I could have lived thru a month over there.

Bottom line: I was just trying to distract you from those memories, for Memorial Day. For a moment or two...

I grew up with VietNAm and enlisted early 80's. When I got my orders to go to Berlin( Iwas fresh out of AIT) I had to travel in my class A's. I still got nasty looks for wearing the uniform. It wasn't until hubby and I were coming home on leave and after the Beirut bombing that the tides turned towards the military. It was the first time coming home through customs that we ere thanked and welcomed home and the fastest we had ever gone through customs. It felt weird cause we were just coming home on leave.

I never had anyone spit at me, but I had people give me thumbs down, one finger salutes, holler at me and look me in the face, with a mean look on theirs, look at the floor, shaking their head and walk away, disgustedly. No one ever tried to pic a fight, they probably thought it wasn't a good idea.

This is one reason whenever I see an active duty guy/gal, I ALWAYS try to greet them and say thank you for what they're doing.

When I see a WW2 or Korean vet, I do the same.

No GI will be mistreated if I'm around to prevent it.

Same here. [wink]
Even when we do events with our jeep we always thank the vets for their service. No matter when they served.

I'm pretty sure that most government employees, including Customs folks, were always with us. When I returned to the States by air in 1969 and went through Customs, one of the routine questions was something about guns. I said I had three, he asked if I had required paperwork on them, I said yes, and I was on my way. Unlike leaving Subic Bay, where it was the same except that the PC wanted to shoot the breeze a bit about guns until the other bus passengers became slightly impatient.

I never had anyone spit at me, but I had people give me thumbs down, one finger salutes, holler at me and look me in the face, with a mean look on theirs, look at the floor, shaking their head and walk away, disgustedly. No one ever tried to pic a fight, they probably thought it wasn't a good idea.

This is one reason whenever I see an active duty guy/gal, I ALWAYS try to greet them and say thank you for what they're doing.

When I see a WW2 or Korean vet, I do the same.

No GI will be mistreated if I'm around to prevent it.

+1 Pilgrim My trip home was uneventful. When going through the airports, I kept my eyes straight ahead and didn't make eye contact with anyone. No spitting or name-calling. In Chicago the stewardess (they were still called a stewardess then) moved me to first class for the short hop to Ft. Wayne and gave me a free drink. I had the good fortune to be from Indiana, where being conservative and appreciating veterans is always in style. I did notice that most people would not initiate talking about Vietnam with me - too uncomfortable for them, or afraid it would trigger some reaction, I guess. That talk only happened with others who went. Like someone else mentioned, I remained pretty quiet about my service for many years. Now, it's okay to be proud of my service and openly grateful to those who continue to serve.

Back
Top Bottom