• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Wilderness Survival thread

So how many of you folks have an interest in or practice wilderness survival skills?

I've noticed NES has a Survival forum but it seems to be oriented toward natural or political disasters.

"Survival" encompasses many disciplines, though. Does anyone practice techniques that may apply if one is lost in the woods camping or hunting such as:

• design & use of personal survival kits
  • cordage making
  • shelter construction
  • fire by friction, or flint & steel, etc.
  • water purification
  • edible/useful plants
  • emergency traps & snares (where legal of course)
  • navigation by dominant object or improvised compass, stars, etc.
  • knots
  • other woodsman skills

Any interest in these things?

$19 is short money - sounds like a deal.

When is this class? Where is it? Who is teaching it? Do they have any credentials, aside from the interest and knowledge (which is enough in my book?) Is the a syllabus?

I'm def interested in the class, but i am more interested in testing the skills after the class in a more real scenario. Like some kind of camping trip w/ minimal gear for three or four days. Anyone else interested in that?

Training issues

Yeah, but toughest thing with that is getting space.

I organized a training class about a year ago and we did it in a state park. I tried to plan another one there, but when the Parks group found out about "the class," they wanted proof of a $10,000 bond/insurance.

That killed that idea.

A lot of folks don't offer the use of private land for the same reasons.

That was discussed. They still wanted proof of bond. I think its just a policy.

Oh well, I'll keep looking.

This stuff largely pertains to building shelters, traps, etc.

I did a generic survival & fire-starting class, which was OK if you don't go overboard with big knives and axes, haul in your own wood/tinder/etc. and use their firepits. They don't care HOW you start the fire, only that it's contained in the right spot. They also don't care if you have a audience. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom