1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. NES Life memberships are now available, click here for details.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

The watering down of Patriots' Day history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SERE, Apr 15, 2018.

1. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

Semi-stuck in the house with the TV on in the background. It seems that on the local stations all you hear is about the 'marathon day', the new holiday 'one Boston day' and maybe, if they haven't run out of time, Patriots' Day named for the battles of Lexington and Concord.

With the annual ceremony that the Red Sox usually have being postponed this year, due to rain, it appears Patriots Day will be a second thought.

I guess we won't know much until tomorrow, the holiday observance to the actual date of the 19th, if they intend to call it what it is. Soon it will get no more mention than St Patrick's day/Evacuation Day watering down.

It is such a shame what the media is doing to history of our forefathers, mothers and country. [angry]
    [​IMG]

Battles of Lexington and Concord
    Battles of Lexington and Concord - Wikipedia

Patriots' Day
    Patriots' Day - Wikipedia

Battler Road: Commemorating the Battles of Lexington and Concord, April 19, 1775
    Battle Road - Lexington and Concord

The year is 1775. Unrest has been growing in the colonies. The Boston Massacre that took place just five years earlier is fresh in the memories of many. The protests regarding taxation reached a new height in the form of the Boston Tea Party. Colonists are clamoring for the right to run their own affairs, some going as far as to call for independence from the mother country. The stage is set for an historic conflict.

The Crown decides to put a stop to this. Early in the morning of April 19, 1775, a long column of Regulars starts its march to Concord. Their orders are to destroy muskets, powder, cannon, and other provisions being stockpiled by the rebels on Colonel James Barrett's farm.

More: Battle Road - Lexington and Concord

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018

2. DitchDigger

DitchDigger NES Member

It’s part of the plan

Gidge and Nikos like this.
  3. xtry51

xtry51 NES Member

Its harder to repeat history (tyranny) when you teach about it. So they stop teaching.

4. TheGreekFreak

TheGreekFreak NES Member

Why would the statue ever need that gun to hunt?

CK30, xjma99, oldguy68 and 2 others like this.
  5. lowbuckbob

lowbuckbob NES Member

It's an assault musket!!!

2-old-4-this and Nikos like this.
  6. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    All holidays are watered down, these days.

7. Greg

Greg NES Member

Patriots day only exists in like 2 states right(MA,RI),where just about all the .gov employees have the day off ? To me it's just another .gov hack holiday that .gov hacks give themselves for yet another paid day off,like Bunker Hill Day.

Gidge and Aaron[MA] like this.
  8. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Hoping for ice and snow for the runners. I wish it would be run on a Sunday.

oldyankee likes this.
  9. Waher

Waher NES Member

Too soon?

TheGreekFreak likes this.
  10. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

Fine, don't treat it as a hack holiday. Still teach the history with the same enthusiasm of the middle/late 20th century. It never was a 'big' holiday. It doesn't need to be. But it shouldn't be shamed, either.

The holiday was originally celebrated on April 19, the actual anniversary of the battles (fought in 1775). Since 1969, it has been observed on the third Monday in April in Massachusetts[3] and in Maine[4] (which until the Missouri Compromise of 1820 was part of Massachusetts). The Monday holiday creates a three-day long weekend. It is also the first day of a vacation week for public schools in both states and a school holiday for many local colleges and universities, both public and private.

The day is a
    public school observance day in Wisconsin.[5] Florida law also encourages people to celebrate it, though it is not treated as a public holiday.[6] Connecticut begins observance in 2018.[1]

Picton likes this.
  11. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias

Teach the history?

You are lucky if Freshmen in college can mention the first 2 Presidents.

Schools don't teach history anymore.

Oldarmy likes this.
  12. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

don't ever point your gun at something you do not want to kill

13. Bernietech

Bernietech NES Member

I think the term is "revisonist history" . You look at things not as they happened, but through rose colored glasses...

14. Picton

Picton NES Member

Not really.

There’s an agenda, but this kind of thing happens anyway as memory recedes farther into history. The Romans would have been amazed we don’t celebrate Lupercal anymore.

All the more reason why it’s so important we maintain Patriots Day, but that ship sailed awhile ago. It ought to have been like a Remembrance Sunday in Britain and Canada: a real national day, with a nationwide moment of silence and everyone wearing poppies and a suit. They still do that properly over there, but that’ll fade too; one day, it’ll be nothing more than One London Day.

Sad, but it’s what happens.

15. igrace7092

igrace7092 NES Member

I predict by the end of the day this there will a news outlet claiming this as a racist observance.

xjma99 likes this.
  16. mothybee

mothybee NES Member

Ma. and Me.

17. mothybee

mothybee NES Member

White male with a gun? Protest against gun confiscation? I feel the need for a hug and a safe space.

18. Andy in NH

Andy in NH NES Life Member NES Member

They don't even teach cursive writing anymore, which means they can't read it either - ergo; they can't read the original writing in the Constitution.

19. AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Not all. Anything traditional, white and Christian yes, run through the PC meat grinder.

20. Talon3

Talon3 NES Member

The state abolished bunker hill day and evacuation day holidays under cadillac Patrick, back in 2011 iirc.

21. rocket500

rocket500 NES Member

I'd be surprised if it even is a holiday anymore eventually- it's barely above Flag Day or Arbor Day in the pecking order (the holiday, not the history). We can cover it on the 4th of July.

22. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades

Well, this morning on WGBH it was:

Marathon, marathon, weather, marathon, Boston bombing, marathon, 243 years ago colonists opened fire on British troops committing an act of treason, marathon... I believe there may have also been something about traffic issues in Hopkinton.

23. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

The only definition of Patriots that the next two generations of kids will know is that of a football team.

24. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

Even if they could read it, they wouldn't understand any of it, nor much if any of the history that followed up to the present day.

25. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias

That's why I only write cursive. I might be the only person under the age of 70 writing that way.

I did get compliments from a couple of gay college professors. [laugh]

Mesatchornug likes this.
  26. JimF

JimF

I wonder when someone is going to realize the root of Holiday is Holy Day and want to stop using Holiday as a word.

27. hbennett

hbennett

Read "Bunker Hill - A City, A Siege, A Revolution" by Nathaniel Philbrick, and you might change your mind.

I lived in the shadow of Dorchester Heights for almost 9 years and didn't understand the significance of that landmark.

Getting guns on that hill more than likely saved Boston from being burnt to the ground. General Gage agreed not to burn the city if the colonists held their fire during the evacuation.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  28. Picton

Picton NES Member

True. But it didn’t become a Boston holiday until 1901. Irish demographics peaked in the years leading up to that, and it’s not a coincidence. The State followed in the 1930s.

So, somehow, MA managed to go about 160 years without honoring Knox’ achievement. It was always about the St Patrick’s parade, not the guns.

29. hbennett

hbennett

Having lived in Southie for nearly a decade, I am well acquainted with the local customs and culture. The fact that both events occurred on the same date is purely a coincidence.

That Boston Irish-American politicians would use an event of historical significance as a ruse to promote a cultural or semi-religious event as a paid holiday is clearly a stretch of the imagination. They certainly lacked that kind of clout. Any Boston politician could tell you that.

30. Picton

Picton NES Member

I’m assuming that’s sarcasm... though, my detector hasn’t been working well today.