The waiting begins...

After waiting almost 5 months since getting my license, I finally made a purchase. Went to Four Seasons yesterday on my lunch break and plopped down some cash for a 9mm Sig P226 two-tone. It's on order, and the guy said it could be in "in a few days or a few weeks." I can't wait! I'm almost officially a gun owner! [smile]

I'll be using the time to prepare...gotta get all the stuff I need (safe, range bag, cleaning supplies, etc.) and actually learn how to care for a gun (I've spent almost a year learning how to fire and handle them...but they were never mine, so cleaning and care was never my responsibility [grin]).

Any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated, but I plan on putting some serious wear on the search feature. [laugh]

This will be the best birthday present I ever gave myself! [rofl]

nice 1st purchase, you wont regret buying a Sig, they are top notch Sir! Ive fired quite a few Sigs (mother works at Sig so I can go at employee cost of ammo to shoot anything) and a few friends have them...I just made my 1st handgun purchase as well about 6-7 weeks ago. Bought a Walther P99AS .40, absolutely love it, but I have a Sig in my sights, just waiting get some more side money to make the purchase.

Did you get your Class A? I ask because you didnt mention having to buy any holsters.

nice 1st purchase, you wont regret buying a Sig, they are top notch Sir! Ive fired quite a few Sigs (mother works at Sig so I can go at employee cost of ammo to shoot anything) and a few friends have them...I just made my 1st handgun purchase as well about 6-7 weeks ago. Bought a Walther P99AS .40, absolutely love it, but I have a Sig in my sights, just waiting get some more side money to make the purchase.

Did you get your Class A? I ask because you didnt mention having to buy any holsters.

I've fired a lot of different pistols over the last year, and the P226 is the only one I keep going back to. I'm sure I'll find others I like and will buy over time, but this one made sense for a first purchase [grin]

My license is restricted, so no real need for a holster right now. [sad2]

I love my P226, a pleasure to shoot and takedown/cleaning is real easy.

I have bought and used almost every type of cleaning gear out there, hard to summarize but I will let you know what I use most.
I don't usually use the cleaning kits, but buy what I use separately. I use Dewey rods Tipton are great also. Definitely get a coated rod (or one of the carbon etc).
You need a good rod, jag (I don't like slot tips) patches and a solvent.(Hoppes 9). I also use the medical cotton tips applicators (like Q tips), and of course a good oil.
I also like boresnakes, they are really great for a quick pass at the range or when you get home but don't have time for a full cleaning.
Another option I started using (I use it for rifles...) is the Otis system. It is also a pull through system like the boresnake, but uses patches.

I am a big guy and I feel my 226 is a little big (thick especially) to conceal, but YMMV.

Good luck

I am a big guy and I feel my 226 is a little big (thick especially) to conceal, but YMMV.
I'm also a big guy, but with the restriction on my license, I won't be CCing any time soon. I'll cross that bridge if I ever come to it :)

Thanks for all the tips, too!

My carry gun is a 226 in .40 and I am real happy with it. Cleaning is a breeze. I think the advice that I would give is start stalkin the nearest Walmart for ammo. It's hit or miss so I stop every time I pass. They have by far the best ammo prices I have found unless you are willing to buy a case.

It's never to early to get some training and you will find a ton of great resources here. I thought I was a pretty good shooter until I took a close quarters course and the targets moved! You can tailor your training to your interests.

I would also think about getting a 22 conversion kit for your Sig. That way you can shoot all day for a few bucks and still be using your favorite handgun. If you plan on spending some time on the range the conversion kit will pay for itself and then some very quickly

I would also think about getting a 22 conversion kit for your Sig. That way you can shoot all day for a few bucks and still be using your favorite handgun. If you plan on spending some time on the range the conversion kit will pay for itself and then some very quickly

i somewhat disagree. here's why.

what type of pistol in .22 can you get for decent money?

how much is the conversion kit for the .40 to .22

its worth getting a second pistol.

i somewhat disagree. here's why.

what type of pistol in .22 can you get for decent money?

how much is the conversion kit for the .40 to .22

its worth getting a second pistol.

Yeah, the kit sells for +/- $300. Not cheap. Plus if you shoot a lot it's pretty easy to shoot 5000-10,000 rounds of 22 in a year. I'd rather beat up another gun with all that shooting rather than my Sig. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, the kit sells for +/- $300. Not cheap. Plus if you shoot a lot it's pretty easy to shoot 5000-10,000 rounds of 22 in a year. I'd rather beat up another gun with all that shooting rather than my Sig. Just my 2 cents.

However, if the OP's Sig will be used for self defense or competition, there is something to be gained from the .22 conversion: The mastery of one's DA/SA trigger pull for cheap money.

Either way from above posts, start stocking up on ammo, you will go through it quick once you start going to the range and having fun. Have you joined a range?

Either way from above posts, start stocking up on ammo, you will go through it quick once you start going to the range and having fun. Have you joined a range?

No, haven't joined a club yet. I'm looking at Braintree, since it's fairly close by, but I'm waiting on some folks to get their permits and some guns and we'll all likely join the same club. We've been frequenting AFS in N. Attleboro in the interim because they have rentals (even if the rentals kind of suck).

No, haven't joined a club yet. I'm looking at Braintree, since it's fairly close by, but I'm waiting on some folks to get their permits and some guns and we'll all likely join the same club. We've been frequenting AFS in N. Attleboro in the interim because they have rentals (even if the rentals kind of suck).

If your close I'd recommend Ames R&P in Easton. Great club. Kind of laid back and friendly.

Congratulations! You went first class on your first gun, which is just awesome.

When I first really got into shooting as an adult out of the military my 1st gun was a Ruger.45 auto. It weighed about 100 pounds and was as big as a Volkswagen beetle (OK, somewhat of an exaggeration[wink]) but I actually carried it as a CCW for quite a while because that was all I had.

I traded that gun to a cop friend of mine for his S&W 1076 which I really loved and also carried.

Wound up with my favorite carry gun I've ever had which was a Colt Officer's Model custom.

I remember drooling over the local CoP's SIG, but they were $800+ and there was no way I could afford it without dumping stuff I'd grown attached to. (The colt only cost me $700 and near broke me for a while.)

Congrats on the new gun. I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it. Welcome to the dark side!

p.s.Get ready to get a second job. I got the bug and soon found myself tending bar at night part time to pay for a Belgian Browning Hi-Power. It's a never ending addiction, but without the side effects of the shakes and sweats.[smile]

p.s.Get ready to get a second job. I got the bug and soon found myself tending bar at night part time to pay for a Belgian Browning Hi-Power. It's a never ending addiction, but without the side effects of the shakes and sweats.[smile]
+1
I think that's awesome you ACTUALLY took another job to afford a gun!

+1
I think that's awesome you ACTUALLY took another job to afford a gun!

When I was first getting back into shooting I'd had a run of incredibly bad luck and some equally bad business decisions on my part. I'd closed down my business, gotten divorced and given everything I owned except a computer and my clothes to my ex and was working as a reporter for $1500 a month, a LOT of which went to child support. I got into reloading because I couldn't afford ammo.

That job actually turned into a great gig. I made tons of new friends who all lived on the reservation (It was an Indian bar) learned a lot about a lot of things and made enough to buy that Browning and a few other things besides. all in all, I have to say those were some of the best years of my life. I didn't have a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out of, but I was rich as Salomon when it came to friends and lived in the finest little community anyone could ask for. -Good times.

You are in luck! I am offering a special right now on my "cleaning and care" classes. These classes are conveniently available on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, at my range or home.

Seriously though, congratulations! Just follow the owner's manual, and ask a few old timers about the cleaning. Keep your finger off the trigger, double check and triple check everything, assume it is always loaded, and keep it pointed in a safe direction. Maybe we'll see you out at the range one day.

Back
Top Bottom