The Wait

jbos6

NES Member
So, I just (finally!) submitted my LTC-A application this morning. The Records clerk who took it looked it over to be sure there were no problems or omissions, and seemed satisfied. I also asked her off the record "Do you know if this town generally issues Class A licenses?" and she nodded emphatically "Oh yeah, definitely!" Fingers crossed!!

Now, the wait. I would bide my time doing research on my first purchase, but I think I've done all I can short of actually holding or shooting something new!! Tell me, what did *you* do to pass the time? Anyone else waiting to hear if you've been approved?

I posted here, visited shops to handle different things and ask questions, and I went to S&W and MFL to rent things to try. Best of luck on the unrestricted class A

Patience is a virtue Grasshopper.

Pass the time by researching a few off the "I want list", find the club your looking to get involved with and start meeting some of your local shooters.
Become a green member here and spend some more time on the site :)

At this point simply put it out of your mind. If you obsess on how long it takes, you'll drive yourself crazy.

Here in MA, it's going to be a good wait. I'm guessing 10 to 13 weeks.

One of my family members is in week 9.

One of my family member is in week 9.
?!? Wow. Where is the hold up? Mine took 2.5 weeks, interview on 2/07, issue date of 2/11, received it two days ago... so the staties are moving fast. If the state is handling the background check, what else is there for the town to do?

... and spend some more time on the site :)

Oh, please don't encourage me to spend more time on this site ... I sometimes have to go elsewhere just because I've already read all of the threads in which I'm interested here!

BTW, I had thought about posting the name of the town I applied in this morning, but I've noticed some folks are skittish about posting their towns. Not to hijack my own thread, but do people care what town it was in? How would one find fellow NES'ers in their town without posting? (I'll definitely post to the "What Color Is Your Town" thread once I get my answer back from my town on my LTC!)

?!? Wow. Where is the hold up? Mine took 2.5 weeks, interview on 2/07, issue date of 2/11, received it two days ago... so the staties are moving fast. If the state is handling the background check, what else is there for the town to do?

I can only assume incompetence, or malicious intent to delay.

mine took about 8 weeks in Worcester.

I'd recommend calling in about 6 weeks. When i called to inquire, it was magically there. I sincerely doubt that it just happened to show up that morning. All i did was ask if my LTC had arrived, and provided my name. They said yes and told me i could pick it up anytime they were open.

I had another friend that applied in a much greener town than me, and it seemed to be the same thing. It was ready to be picked up, but they hadn't let them know yet.

Not sure if these two incidents are coincidences, or if they don't call you right away to let you know it's arrived.

Anyways, just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I didn't even go into a gun shop while I was waiting for mine (I figured it would be to hard on me). I knew I was going to be shooting a lot at first so I decided to get a 9mm (ammo is cheap) and a .22lr just doesn't go bang enough for me. Read up, go to multiple sites and see what other people get for their first purchases. Look into holsters, hearing protection, eye protection etc.. The accessories get expensive too.
I ended up with a Beretta 92FS to start (I like full size metal guns). If you have the money a Sig would probably be a better option. I got my carry piece later on.
Be safe.

Well, I am still waiting for mine but it has not been long yet, only 20 days so far, and I have been "window shopping" reading reviews, and kind of generally "getting ready" , the wait is definitely the worst part I am finding out! ;)

I did my best not to think about it figureing the days would go by faster and i would be surprised when I got the call that it was in. lol that lasted about a week. i became a regular window shopper at all the local gun stores. went over my friends house to play with his stuff. and shot a lot of bb's in my back yard. I mean a lot. then after 2 months it came and I bought my first gun that day. that day was the 4th of july. well worth the wait to make my first purchase on that date.

At this point simply put it out of your mind. If you obsess on how long it takes, you'll drive yourself crazy.

It depends on how slow your town is. Because of the "let's sit on the guys permit" factor, it can be any where from 2-15 weeks depending on how bad the issuing authority is.

The good towns will get you a permit in under a month, every time. The not so hot ones will take forever. The really bad red towns will often sit on it and not give it to you until you pester them enough
about it.

-Mike

I feel for you man, but now is the time to do your research and get the list of things you want to try going.

Go to shops to look at stuff, maybe go to a shoot or lub to try others stuff, and look into saving some money saved for some training.

they gave me a deadline of 3-6 weeks, i called at 6 weeks wasn't there 8 weeks wasn't there finally i went it at 9 weeks the finger prints were bad i guess they got an email from the state but they didn't get it. Most people will tell you to not bother them i say bother them just to make sure every thing is right.

theres a gun show coming in march in west springfield,at the BIG E location,its something to look forward to,
So, I just (finally!) submitted my LTC-A application this morning. The Records clerk who took it looked it over to be sure there were no problems or omissions, and seemed satisfied. I also asked her off the record "Do you know if this town generally issues Class A licenses?" and she nodded emphatically "Oh yeah, definitely!" Fingers crossed!!

Now, the wait. I would bide my time doing research on my first purchase, but I think I've done all I can short of actually holding or shooting something new!! Tell me, what did *you* do to pass the time? Anyone else waiting to hear if you've been approved?

Dude, that is AWESOME! I had never seen that and enjoyed it immensely.

Don't let your wait get to you. It took 13 weeks for my LTC-A to come in, but when it did it was RESTRICTIONS - NONE. So it was worth it. I spent that time renting and trying hand guns and different calibers.

I picked up my license from my PD at 6:30 pm on a Friday and at 9:30 am was at Four Seasons in Woburn and I left with a Sig 226 in .40, a Smith and Wesson 686 - .357 magnum, and a Henry Golden Boy .22 for my Son for Christmas. Assorted holsters, cleaning kits, targets, safety stuff and about 1000 rounds of ammo to practice with.

There have been many additions since, but those two are still my favorites and someday they will be my Son's, because I will never sell them. I got back into shooting because my Son was getting to the age where he needed to be taught but I had forgotten how much fun it was, and now waste entirely to much money on it!

Best of luck!

Yep, that's one of my favorite all-time groups of artists on one stage!

Fingers crossed that I have the same restrictions you did, fencer. I think my first purchase will be a Sig 239, but I might go for a 3rd Gen S&W (with perhaps a .22) ... gonna depend on my budget. :-D Cannot wait, so I'm trying not to think about it. At what age did you teach your son? My kids are both under the age of 5, so I know I've got a good number of years, but have been wondering about that.

Do NOT wait that long...

I suggest familiarizing yourself with MGL C.140 S.131

(e) Within seven days of the receipt of a completed application for a license to carry or possess firearms, or renewal of same, the licensing authority shall forward one copy of the application and one copy of the applicant's fingerprints to the colonel of state police, who shall within 30 days advise the licensing authority, in writing, of any disqualifying criminal record of the applicant arising from within or without the commonwealth and whether there is reason to believe that the applicant is disqualified for any of the foregoing reasons from possessing a license to carry or possess firearms. In searching for any disqualifying history of the applicant, the colonel shall utilize, or cause to be utilized, files maintained by the department of probation and statewide and nationwide criminal justice, warrant and protection order information systems and files including, but not limited to, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System. The colonel shall inquire of the commissioner of the department of mental health relative to whether the applicant is disqualified from being so licensed. If the information available to the colonel does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity firearm by the applicant would be in violation of state or federal law, he shall certify such fact, in writing, to the licensing authority within said 30 day period.

Furthermore...

The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing; provided, however, that no such license shall be issued unless the colonel has certified, in writing, that the information available to him does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity firearm by the applicant would be in violation of state or federal law.

If you have not received a reply in 40 days and want to apply pressure to the local PD or the State, cite the law to them.

Back
Top Bottom