• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The unwashed having night-vision gear "a problem"

Do the flir/thermal optics have any specific use or maintenance requirements, or are they pretty durable?
Uncooled thermal imagers are pretty durable, assuming you're fine with accuracy of +/- 5 degrees C or 5%.

If you're using a sensor in an industrial/commercial application, you may need to send it back to the factory for traceable calibration every few years, but for basic alive/dead differentiation, absolute temperature calibration is overkill.

You sacrifice life expectancy with filmless for preformance.. but for most of us.. myself included will go through more hours of use forgetting to turn them off or having them turn on in storage..another reason to remove batteries..but my no setups and rifle just use too many batteries to take out every time.. and the worry of cross threading the battery caps

"Night vision equipment is “not the tool of sportsmen,” Everitt said. “It’s the tool of people who are seeking to kill as many people as possible in as short amount of time as possible.”

Or people who have A reason to see at night lol

there is no good reason to see at night unless you are working the night shift felling trees for motherland. Normal people should sleep, so you got to be up to no good.

Just the mere thought of you wanting these means that you are up to no good. [laugh]

If I get a weapon mounted FLIR device can I use it to go around and do home energy audits on the side, to help pay for it? Having it mounted on a rifle would seem to really help with image stability.

I think the extra 1000$s are so you can see each individual hair on your prey before you white/black mist their brains out of their face at 100 yards...
That ridiculous. The Flir PTS233 I posted pics and video from was under $2500.

If I get a weapon mounted FLIR device can I use it to go around and do home energy audits on the side, to help pay for it? Having it mounted on a rifle would seem to really help with image stability.
I really though my thermal would be good for that...from the exterior of my home I was shocked i wasn’t loosing heat...

Interestingly if you needed to see where the wires are run in your home.. they are clear as day like X-ray vision through the Sheetrock

A friend of mine has a PVS-7, I got to play with it a few times.
Even though it's old tech by todays standards (made by Litton in 1989), it's pretty impressive and they still command some high prices. I remember watching someone smoking a cigarette about 100 yards away, and through the NV it looked as bright as a highway flare. We used it once during duck season to find our spot and set out our decoys before sunup. I took it in a pitch dark bathroom to see how well it worked, the built in IR source looked like a flashlight in the mirror. Also, you can see the light when you push a button on a TV remote control.

PVS-7-1_800x.jpg

Yes, all well and good......but that IR source can be seen by your opposition using any cheap IR scope off the shelf too.

Night vision is really worthless and even a hazard unless it is completely passive and emits nothing for the enemy to see.

A simple light gathering and amplifying scope is much safer.

Yes, all well and good......but that IR source can be seen by your opposition using any cheap IR scope off the shelf too.

Night vision is really worthless and even a hazard unless it is completely passive and emits nothing for the enemy to see.

A simple light gathering and amplifying scope is much safer.

You don't need the IR light turned on most of the time, only in complete darkness, which is actually a very rare condition in the natural world, unless you're in a cave. Starlight, moonlight or even reflected glow from a city is usually enough light to be able to use them effectively. I know they have much better stuff now, but it was pretty damn good for 1980's technology.

"Night vision equipment is “not the tool of sportsmen,” Everitt said. “It’s the tool of people who are seeking to kill as many people as possible in as short amount of time as possible.”

Or people who have A reason to see at night lol
So, it is the government's goal to "kill as many people as possible in as short amount of time as possible"? Otherwise why is the govt allowed to have such lethal technology?

Jesus, they make it sound like night vision goggles are friggin nuclear weapons! What a bunch of propagandists!

Seems like price wise, they are the sameish.

With Flir, you tan look through glass? and NV not at all.

Nv better resolution of objects, though an emitter might need to be used and Thermals, emitted not needed but images not as well resolved.

Does that sound about right?

Seems like price wise, they are the sameish.

With Flir, you tan look through glass? and NV not at all.

Nv better resolution of objects, though an emitter might need to be used and Thermals, emitted not needed but images not as well resolved.

Does that sound about right?

Not quite but close. NV, the light amplifier type, can see through glass. FLIR can't see through glass (but it can see through a black trash bag go figure). Glass is transparent from the longwave ultraviolet (the blacklight type) down to 2 microns (2000 nm) depending on glass and coatings. FLIR sees 8 to 14 microns roughly, so glass looks opaque. So if you need to look in automobiles, NV is the way to go. With NV you can use an IR illuminator or 850 nm aiming laser, it's harder to get a FLIR aiming laser. "Near" IR is 5-7 microns and won't see through glass, but has better contrast than 8-14 um.

Back
Top Bottom