The Unofficial Discussion Thread about the Pre-Ban Glock Giveaway!!!

I got rid of my 22's a couple of years ago. A nice gesture by NES. Not going to participate, but it's rare for me to participate in the give-aways anyhow.

First free gun give away I didn't opt into..... I had a G22 and it was the only gun I ever sold. I liked enough but decided that .40 was not going to be a caliber I reloaded and it had to go.

For some reason I shoot better with my 23. The 22 capacity is nice. I can shoot fleas off of ticks with my 21. Theres still a sense of nostalgia for me though remembering shooting a 22 for the first time in 1990

My plan, when the inevitable questions arise from Mrs. Pipes, is to just carelessly say, pfft - it's JUST a 22.

I'm not a caliber snob (but not above making a boom-boom joke when the occasion arises). Hey, didn't we used to have a hand grenade emoji?

In!
as my 19 is a basket case right now and I have a bunch of 40 from all of the 40s I sold off.
And I have not had a 40 in 5+ years.

For some reason I shoot better with my 23. The 22 capacity is nice. I can shoot fleas off of ticks with my 21. Theres still a sense of nostalgia for me though remembering shooting a 22 for the first time in 1990

The G23 is my favorite of all my Glocks. Fits my hand, my carry and my ability perfectly...

The G23 is my favorite of all my Glocks. Fits my hand, my carry and my ability perfectly...
And that's what's interesting about Glocks. The 23 was my first purchase in Mass. It was (and still is except for my love of .45) my do all gun. I'm good with it and it fits well. The 21 is bigger and isnt as comfortable and yet I can outshoot any other striker gun. I let others shoot it as well and we have the same results. The 22, I dont know. I can shoot well enough with it. Anecdotally I dont know anyone who prefers the 22

I agree. I can shoot very well with my Gen2 G21, but it is huge and is my HD pistol with an ample supply of 13-round magazines.
I will on occasion also carry my Gen3 G30 with a 10-round mag with Pearce pinkie extension and a hot-tube, and use those 13-rounders as my spare mags. It is a pocket "freight-train".
37 rounds of .45acp goodness...

I was laughing when I saw the giveaway post, I figured the .40 bullies would be out en mass. they recognized the hand that feeds them, no?

Bullies? Just because we think the caliber is pointless doesn't mean we lose sight of the fact that:

-It's a gun
-Guns are useful. Even .40's.
-A free gun is a VERY generous contribution - who the hell would complain about that? (regardless of what it is, or what its chambered in)
-Whoever the guy that wins it will still be enriched by winning it, even if it is a .40 .
-It's possible the winner might be a guy that hasn't bought many guns yet, and for a new LTC holder, the more the merrier, the better to feel their way around with.

There's way more than that but you get the idea.

-Mike

I just don't get the whole Glock love thing

Depends on your POV and your value system WRT guns. I like guns that don't f*** up a lot and don't need a ton of maintenance, and are well supported- so that's why 80% of the handguns I own are Glock products. I have a couple 1911, a few CZ, etc, too. All decent guns, but Glocks are simple and they work... and in the odd event that they don't work, I can either fix them myself
or get someone else to fix it with a minimum of grief. And usually after the issue is resolved, the gun never f***s up again and I don't have to worry about it, absent occasional maintenance.
Plus they are cheap enough that you can add more utility for relatively short money. Then you get cool stuff like holster cross compatibility etc.

And I was one of those morons that refused to buy one for several years because I was more gullible and partially fell prey to all the bullshit. Then on a lark I bought a 19 (and learned how the guns worked) and that changed all of that.

That said I understand why some people can't stand them- IMHO there are ergonomic issues with polymer framed handguns that make people tend to favor one brand over
another. For example while I like the craftsmanship of HK products I can't run most of the newer ones because the ergos f*** with my natural point of aim. If I pick a glock or a 1911 up blind on the range, and open my eyes, the sights are more or less where I expect them to be. If I do that with an HK P30 or something, the sights are usually pointing at the ground. [rofl]

This is why I tell people stuff like handle a bunch of different guns and "actually shoot them before buying, you might save yourself a lot of coin".

It's also worth knowing, though, that when you watch handgun shooters, the really, really good ones... are not crippled much by anything. I know guys where I could hand them a crippled
as f*** M&P .45 sanitary napkin pistol with a 900 lb mass trigger in them, and those guys could still easily beat me at something like a bowling pin shoot with it, because their skills are so good
that it offsets a lot of platform deficiencies. As long as the gun isnt a total piece of shit, (function issues, etc) the guy pulling the trigger is always 1000 times more important.

-Mike

Drop in a Storm Lake conversion barrel, which is a higher quality option than others and price is still decent. Basically you'll have a bull barrel 9mm. As others mention, you need a 9mm mag.

I had a 23 that I would swap back/forth between 9/40. You probably don't really need dedicated 9MM mags if it's just a range toy. I used the 40 mags for months shooting 9 without any issues. It a Glock...just works...even with the wrong mags ;-)

I like most calibers and still have a couple of 40's, although I own more 9mm's and 45's than I do 40's, I have no intention of getting rid of them for a bunch of reasons.
If the recent ammo shortage were to reemerge, more caliber choices is a good thing.
Both my 40's are big heavy guns (226 & 229). If you stay away from 185grn ammo, you really can't tell the difference between 40 & 45. I have some 135grn jhp that shoots like a dream.
There are pros and cons to every caliber. 40 hits harder than 9mm and penetrates better than 45. It has it's place. Yes, I have seen the ballistic gel tests, and I am not convinced or persuaded. When shooting at plates or pins, the difference is very obvious and in the real world, no one is shooting at a big block of jello. Unless the Blob attacks.
Finally, I have high quality conversion kits for my 40's to shoot 9mm, that work great. I rarely use them because I have plenty of 9mm guns, but will swap calibers when teaching a newbie to shoot. 9mm through a 226 feels like you are shooting a 22 and preban mags in 9mm were much easier to find although preban 40's are out there and I have scored plenty of them with some patience.
40 sucks in little guns, like the Sheild or PM40 etc. It's fine in big guns like the Glock 22. One of the few calibers that I really think is useless is 380. You just don't gain anything with it. Sure, it is better than nothing, but it offers no advantage in capacity, recoil, price, or availability.
45 is my favorite.

Bullies? Just because we think the caliber is pointless doesn't mean we lose sight of the fact that:

-It's a gun
-A free gun is a VERY generous contribution - who the hell would complain about that? (regardless of what it is, or what its chambered in)
-Whoever the guy that wins it will still be enriched by winning it, even if it is a .40 .
-It's possible the winner might be a guy that hasn't bought many guns yet, and for a new LTC holder, the more the merrier, the better to feel their way around with.

-Mike
you're preaching to the choir. i've never had a problem with the .40, own several and not ashamed. i've always thought it funny that the first mention of .40 on this forum and the ".40 bullies" come out. and lately i've been pointing it out. it's hilarious...and then there's a pig pile. i want the membership to know there's one person here who'll go against the grain of popular opinion and jab at the bullies when they give him a chance. i'm not apologizing to the bullies if a nerve was struck. and like them, i'm not afraid to voice an opinion.

i've never said a disparaging thing regarding the monthly give-a-ways. did you think thats what i was doing here? hmmm...i will choose my words more carefully in the future. i agree it is generous. my post was, again, a jab at the infamous, as i call them, "40 bullies."

.40 And Proud!

iu

Last edited:

-It's a gun

-Mike

This is why I'm in. The good doctor is describing me.

-It's a gun

-Mike
Stop being so logical

Back
Top Bottom