• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Underground AK Book - Featuring Famous Shovel AK!

I just stumbled on this searching the interwebs and thought it was interesting. It also features the Son of Kalashnikov's Shovel Build on pg 6!

http://d3l1h3n4or6wo9.cloudfront.net/UGAR/product/undergroundak47buildmanual.pdf

Edit: I just finished reading it, it's a step-by-step guide to building a "bolt together AK". Some folks will frown on this, but it's still a pretty good read.

Edit #2: Here's another link for folks who can't access the first.
Another Link

Last edited:
It did work briefly...

So the AK in that manual is held together with screws and nuts. Does that actually survive, or will it shake itself to pieces under repeated firing?

It did work briefly...

So the AK in that manual is held together with screws and nuts. Does that actually survive, or will it shake itself to pieces under repeated firing?

You would think so since the stress applied to rivets are typically sheer and not tensile/compression. All the threads would have to do is "not back out" due to high cycling low force loading.

There is a great divide on "screw build vs rivet build" on AK building websites. Screw builds require less tooling and are cheaper to do. Rivet builds require a little more tooling, but are closer to "original design intent" on the rifle.

Given the fact that an AKM is supposed to be tough as nails and carry these characteristics with it's legendary reliability, I would be more inclined to say that a screw build can only take away from this characteristic, which is one of the rifle platforms attraction. It's no precision device. People use them and desire them because they're simple, tough mechanical devices.

A rivet takes minutes to hours of work with an angle grinder/dremel and a pry-bar to demill from an assembled rifle. A screw takes a screwdriver and a limp wrist.

caveat: for the purpose of this man's guide, a screw build is wonderful. "Common people" tend to have thread reamers, screw drivers, loctite, and a coordless drill. So this "guerrilla guide" is more for the layman.

Last edited:
You would think so since the stress applied to rivets are typically sheer and not tensile/compression. All the threads would have to do is "not back out" due to high cycling low force loading.

There is a great divide on "screw build vs rivet build" on AK building websites. Screw builds require less tooling and are cheaper to do. Rivet builds require a little more tooling, but are closer to "original design intent" on the rifle.

Given the fact that an AKM is supposed to be tough as nails and carry these characteristics with it's legendary reliability, I would be more inclined to say that a screw build can only take away from this characteristic, which is one of the rifle platforms attraction. It's no precision device. People use them and desire them because they're simple, tough mechanical devices.

A rivet takes minutes to hours of work with an angle grinder/dremel and a pry-bar to demill from an assembled rifle. A screw takes a screwdriver and a limp wrist.

caveat: for the purpose of this man's guide, a screw build is wonderful. "Common people" tend to have thread reamers, screw drivers, loctite, and a coordless drill. So this "guerrilla guide" is more for the layman.

Thanks. I watched a YouTube video on a third way, a weld build? What's the general consensus there?

Thanks. I watched a YouTube video on a third way, a weld build? What's the general consensus there?

Depends on the way you weld it.
I've seen one build the guy just stuck rivets in and welded the rivet head to the reciver. Seen others fill the rivet holes.
I wouldn't do a weld build. You just make a mess of parts If you need to take it apart.

I almost thought about using screws only for the rivets that get blocked by the barrel. I debated it cause I'm lazy and didn't want to pull barrel after setting head space .

Back
Top Bottom