• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Truth About Gun Safes Video

I can't watch the video right now, but we have discussed this before, and it is incredibly easy to get into even the most robust safes on the market, but that is only with the correct tools. The safes that most of us have are mainly safety devices to protect access from unauthorized people such as kids, and because it's the law. They are also a good deterrent to the opportunistic "smash and grab" type thieves who typically don't carry around the power tools necessary to defeat most safes. Nothing will stop a knowledgeable thief who is coming specifically for your guns, though, because that is a targeted theft, and the thief will know what to bring to get the job done.

The guy who would buy that Graffunder could probably also sprinkle a few decoy safes around for the thieves to spend their time breaking into. $11k, phew!

The safes that most of us have are mainly safety devices to protect access from unauthorized people such as kids, and because it's the law. They are also a good deterrent to the opportunistic "smash and grab" type thieves who typically don't carry around the power tools necessary to defeat most safes. Nothing will stop a knowledgeable thief who is coming specifically for your guns, though, because that is a targeted theft, and the thief will know what to bring to get the job done.

I agree with the idea that my gun "safe" is primarily to protect unauthorized access to my firearms. If a thief is coming in with enough tools to defeat the safe, I say let him have it. My gun collection is not worth that much in dollar value, although I can understand that others may have a lot of $$ in their collection.

Is there other liability I'm not thinking of, perhaps the thief using the stolen guns in a felony?

If a thief is coming in with enough tools to defeat the safe, I say let him have it.

A lot of times people help the thief out by having the required tools right there for them. a lot of us only have the space and/or load bearing for a safe in a place like the basement or garage which is also where tools like circ saws with carbide blades are usually kept.....

A lot of times people help the thief out by having the required tools right there for them. a lot of us only have the space and/or load bearing for a safe in a place like the basement or garage which is also where tools like circ saws with carbide blades are usually kept.....

Which is why such blades, and the cutting tips for torches, are most appropriately stored inside the safe.

I personally know the frustration of showing up for a handyman project and finding that there are no metal cutting blades in my Sawzall kit because I forgot to visit the safe before heading out with my tools.

^this. Just make sure the hoses on your cutting torches aren't long enough to reach the safe [wink]

I can't watch the video right now, but we have discussed this before, and it is incredibly easy to get into even the most robust safes on the market, but that is only with the correct tools. The safes that most of us have are mainly safety devices to protect access from unauthorized people such as kids, and because it's the law. They are also a good deterrent to the opportunistic "smash and grab" type thieves who typically don't carry around the power tools necessary to defeat most safes. Nothing will stop a knowledgeable thief who is coming specifically for your guns, though, because that is a targeted theft, and the thief will know what to bring to get the job done.

Good post!

My little 110v plasma cutter will get into any safe :)

Back
Top Bottom