• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"The Truth About Gun Control"

Preaching to the choir here, but some of you may find some new info or find this useful for those debates with ignorant statist friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was with him until he said that at gun shows background checks are not usually done (around the 3 minute mark)

He said "0.8% got them from a gun show, where background checks are usually not performed"

He probably should have rephrased that to "where background checks are not always required".

Either way, i hope you didn't give up at that point. The stats on murder vs poverty are particularly interesting, as they pretty much undermine the whole argument that violent crime is committed due to the economic plight of inner city minorities.

He said "0.8% got them from a gun show, where background checks are usually not performed"

He probably should have rephrased that to "where background checks are not always required".

Either way, i hope you didn't give up at that point. The stats on murder vs poverty are particularly interesting, as they pretty much undermine the whole argument that violent crime is committed due to the economic plight of inner city minorities.

No, I watched the rest, but given all the hubbub around guns hows and the dreaded "guns how loophole!", it doesn't help to have that error in there, never mind right at the beginning.

How about just not saying dumb shit about gun shows at all?

It's a private sale loophole, and his failure to specify that means he is yet another misinformed boob. The lie is so prevalent I've met other gun owners that believe the "gun show loophole" myth.

Full disclosure: I usually really like Stefan's videos, but he shouldn't be using anti-gun phrases.

That said, he has plenty of fantastic videos worth watching. His ones about single mothers is amazing.

Last edited:
How about just not saying dumb shit about gun shows at all?

It's a private sale loophole, and his failure to specify that means he is yet another misinformed boob. The lie is so prevalent I've met other gun owners that believe the "gun show loophole" myth.

Full disclosure: I usually really like Stefan's videos, but he shouldn't be using anti-gun phrases.

"Gun show" is an anti-gun phrase? At no point did he specify the "gun show loophole".

The point of the video is to address the lies/myths of gun control...criminals getting guns from gun shows is one of those lies.

He addressed that fallacy by saying that only .8% of criminals claim to get their guns that way so clearly it is not a significant source of illegal firearms.

You can't create a video addressing the lies of gun control without addressing one of the most prevalent pieces of misinformation out there.

Edit: I'll have to check out the single mother one, i saw that pop up recently but havent watched it yet.

He probably should have rephrased that to "because background checks are not required during private sales, nor can they be run since NICS is not available to the general public".

Last edited:
"Gun show" is an anti-gun phrase? At no point did he specify the "gun show loophole".

The point of the video is to address the lies/myths of gun control...criminals getting guns from gun shows is one of those lies.

He addressed that fallacy by saying that only .8% of criminals claim to get their guns that way so clearly it is not a significant source of illegal firearms.

You can't create a video addressing the lies of gun control without addressing one of the most prevalent pieces of misinformation out there.

Edit: I'll have to check out the single mother one, i saw that pop up recently but havent watched it yet.

I'm very familiar with Stefan Molyneux, but that quote about gun shows not always having background checks performed is misleading, regardless if he used the antigun phrase "gun show loophole"

Just mentioning a gun show to an anti makes them think it's a criminal free-for-all. That's how pervasive the "gun show loophole" myth is. That quote you suggested he rephrase with your own phrase still doesn't address the private sale issue or explain WHY sales can occur at a gun show without a background check. What he said immediately makes people think of that mythic phrase

Antis are thoroughly convinced you can just walk in and get anything there just because it's a gun show, without fully understanding that it is only private sales that don't require checks. They think FFLs are exempt as well. :/

Last edited:
I'm very familiar with Stefan Molyneux, but that quote about gun shows not always having background checks performed is misleading, regardless if he used the antigun phrase "gun show loophole"

Just mentioning a gun show to an anti makes them think it's a criminal free-for-all. That's how pervasive the "gun show loophole" myth is. That quote you suggested he rephrase with your own phrase still doesn't address the private sale issue or explain WHY sales can occur at a gun show without a background check. What he said immediately makes people think of that mythic phrase

Antis are thoroughly convinced you can just walk in and get anything there just because it's a gun show, without fully understanding that it is only private sales that don't require checks. They think FFLs are exempt as well. :/

Exactly.

You know I have been listening to him today and I find Stefan Molyneux and nutnfancy both talk just to hear themselves talk. I get it you have an opinion on something but it shouldn't take 25 minutes to explain basic concepts.

Back
Top Bottom