The Top 10 Greatest Handgun Cartridges of all time

NES Member
I'm not sure I agree with everything stated, but he does make a good argument. The fact that he left .40SW out and had 10mm in is a big plus.

The Top 10 Greatest Handgun Cartridges of all time | Gun Nuts Media

#3 – .45 ACP
The .45 ACP coming in at #3 will either make people nod their heads in agreement, or howl in indignation that it’s only #3. The .45 ACP was a return to our large caliber roots in the military, replacing a slew of less effective .38 cartridges that the military deemed insufficiently powerful. From its adoption in 1911 until being phased out in favor of the 9mm, the .45 ACP traveled the world and killed interesting people. It’s as American as apple pie and punching hippies.

[rofl]

I'm surprised that .22lr didn't make the list, unless it is truly considered a "rifle caliber" and would be on that list.

I was thinking about that myself. If considered pistol, it's easily a top 3 caliber. It's obviously not the greatest carry caliber, but has made it's mark in history. But with it being .22LR (long rifle) I could see why it had been omitted.

"It’s as American as apple pie and punching hippies."

That's more than enough reason, right there. They did leave out "blowing shit up" though.

I really enjoy using my 1911 style pistol(s), in .45 ACP... Can hardly wait to get the holster for my wide-body 1911 so that I can carry it better.

The 38 S&W makes the list and the 40 S&W doesn't? Pure silliness. It's been out for more than 20 years and is the most popular LEO cartridge.

If the author wanted to get creative he could have gone with the 0.5-0.7" lead ball over black powder, as that was the dominant handgun load for hundreds of years.

Pretty sure Franz F was shot with a 32 ACP, not a 380, for what it's worth.

The 38 S&W makes the list and the 40 S&W doesn't? Pure silliness. It's been out for more than 20 years and is the most popular LEO cartridge.

If the author wanted to get creative he could have gone with the 0.5-0.7" lead ball over black powder, as that was the dominant handgun load for hundreds of years.

Pretty sure Franz F was shot with a 32 ACP, not a 380, for what it's worth.

I agree. The .40 haters will be along to tell us how stupid and worthless it is I'm sure. [grin]

looking for .500 S&W or .50 AE for "badass factor". left disappointed. they had good reasons to pick what they did though.

As someone who loves shooting and reloading the .500 magnum and also an avid DEagle fan, I'm not surprised or disappointed that they didn't make the list. They are still relatively new compared to those on the list, and have little to no historical impact. Yes the .500 is the most powerful production handgun cartridge ever made, but it's only 10 years old and there are only a handful of different guns made in the caliber. The .50 AE has been out for over 20 years and still hasn't taken off much. Again, only a handful of guns were made that fire that round and is rarely referenced anywhere.

it's the truth though

Ditto. But in all seriousness, the 40 is no groundbreaking cartridge. While you can argue whether the 10mm should make the list, there is little doubt that the 40 should not. I didn't get the 380 either. Lastly, I am no 45 lover but seems to me it should have been #1.

Ditto. But in all seriousness, the 40 is no groundbreaking cartridge. While you can argue whether the 10mm should make the list, there is little doubt that the 40 should not. I didn't get the 380 either. Lastly, I am no 45 lover but seems to me it should have been #1.

didja catch the part where it was the caliber used to kill franz ferdinand and start WWI?

i'd say it's noteworthy.

Except that it wasn't:

Princip had used the Browning .32 ACP cartridge,[31][32][33] a relatively low-power round, and a pocket-sized FN model 1910 pistol.[34
Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

snap. ty for correction.

back to feeling less of a man packing a .380 today. [sad]

You can man up again atilla! [laugh] Here's another Wikipedia article that states a .380 was used to off the Duke:

"An FN M1910, serial number 19074, chambered in .380 ACP[1] was the handgun used by Gavrilo Princip to assassinate Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria in Sarajevo on June 28, 1914, an act that arguably precipitated the First World War.[2] Numerous previous sources erroneously cited the FN Model 1900 in .32 caliber as being the weapon Princip used. This has led to confusion over the caliber of the pistol actually used."

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...04HYDw&usg=AFQjCNFdbKigYFMErRX1562xte4oy5gSdw

You can man up again atilla! [laugh] Here's another Wikipedia article that states a .380 was used to off the Duke:

"An FN M1910, serial number 19074, chambered in .380 ACP[1] was the handgun used by Gavrilo Princip to assassinate Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria in Sarajevo on June 28, 1914, an act that arguably precipitated the First World War.[2] Numerous previous sources erroneously cited the FN Model 1900 in .32 caliber as being the weapon Princip used. This has led to confusion over the caliber of the pistol actually used."

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...04HYDw&usg=AFQjCNFdbKigYFMErRX1562xte4oy5gSdw

Here's an interesting story on what happened to the gun.

Infamous Weapons. - Neatorama

After his trial, the pistol was presented to Father Anton Puntigam, the Jesuit priest who had given the archduke and duchess their last rites. He hoped to place it in a museum, but then he died in 1926 the gun was lost ... for almost 80 years. In 2004 a Jesuit community house in Austria made a startling announcement: they had found the gun (verified by its serial number). They donated it to the Vienna Museum of Military History in time for the 90th anniversary of the assassination that started a war that would eventually kill 8.5 million people. Also in the museum are the car in which the couple were riding, the bloodied pillow cover on which the archduke rested his head while dying, and petals from a rose that was attached to Sophie's belt.

Back
Top Bottom