• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The things you overhear...

Running errands this afternoon, I find myself in a waiting room with a few other folks.

A woman brings up in conversation that she's learning to shoot at Smith & Wesson and will be applying for her permit shortly. A gentleman chimes in that she should make sure to put down "Target and Hunting" for her application and not "Personal Protection," because they can't deny you for T&H but they can for PP.

I chose to keep my mouth shut. Perhaps I shouldn't have...?

tough call.... I might have told her the correct answer though because I feel it's better to have more unrestricted licenses out there...who knows, she might have tried to CCW if she had the license for it (why not, right?) and then we would have one more in our corner for RKBA

I'd have dropped and rolled out of the room and called the popo...that would have scared the chit out of me with ppl talking about gu..gu..guns!!

or

maybe

I would have butted in and said something, possibly directed them towards GOAL or even here. To help back up what I would tell them.[wink]

when i applied for mine 8 yrs ago i intended on only using it for hunting and target and applied for it that way, the chief of police asked me to change my app. it to high cap all lawfull purposes.

It was in the middle of the waiting area and I had a representative from the business working with me intermittently. I had thought about leaving the room to catch the woman on the way to her car and rectify what this guy had told her, but I was concerned about screwing up my errand.

I ended up next to this fellow for the next few minutes, playing dumb and asking open-ended questions pertaining to licensing. Nice enough guy, but trying to follow his stream of consciousness was difficult.

"Yeah, the license is good for three years, $100. It's gonna be $200 next year, they keep going up."

"They run a background check, then they run another background check, so it takes a while."

"I just put down 'Target and Hunting,' I have family that own jewelry stores and they get 'Protection/Concealment' cause they carry jewelry, but I wouldn't get that since I don't so I just went for 'Target.'"

I expect that he does have a permit, but needless to say, his information isn't what I would call accurate. I just remained polite... only so much conversation would do in that scenario.

He is the type of a**h*** who spreads bad information, but thinks he knows way he is talking about. I would have corrected him.

It was in the middle of the waiting area and I had a representative from the business working with me intermittently. I had thought about leaving the room to catch the woman on the way to her car and rectify what this guy had told her, but I was concerned about screwing up my errand.

I ended up next to this fellow for the next few minutes, playing dumb and asking open-ended questions pertaining to licensing. Nice enough guy, but trying to follow his stream of consciousness was difficult.

"Yeah, the license is good for three years, $100. It's gonna be $200 next year, they keep going up."

"They run a background check, then they run another background check, so it takes a while."

"I just put down 'Target and Hunting,' I have family that own jewelry stores and they get 'Protection/Concealment' cause they carry jewelry, but I wouldn't get that since I don't so I just went for 'Target.'"

I expect that he does have a permit, but needless to say, his information isn't what I would call accurate. I just remained polite... only so much conversation would do in that scenario.

He's probably a BFS Instructor. [devil2]

I would have tried to engage her in conversation and mention that it couldn't hurt to apply for ALP and if they refuse she still gets a restricted.

Since she was already on our side, I would have chimed in - loudly.

Usually I keep my mouth shut when it comes to educating the masses about anything other than guns.

Of course, I was once in a parking lot and the guy next to me (Obama sticker, peace sticker, coexist sticker and other moonbattery) saw my shotgun in my trunk. He told me kind of conversationaly that "I hope you have a permit for that", and I "corrected" him to let him know you only need a permit for handguns, they changed the law about 5 years ago. Hope I wrecked his weekend with fear.

BillB has relatives in the jewelry business ?

The guy wouldn't have believed you anyway because you would have confused him with the facts.

You cannot win in a situation like that. Hopefully the lady will get good advice at S&W, and depending on where she applies, she might luck out and get a licensing officer who will explain the real deal.

Don't beat yourself up about this.

Last edited:
BillB has relatives in the jewelry business ?

The guy wouldn't have believed you anyway because you would have confused him with the facts.

You cannot win in a situation like that. Hopefully the lady will get good advice at S&W, and depending on where she applies, she might luck out and get a licensing officer who will explain the real deal.

Don't beat yourself up about this.

this

i would have MMOFB as well.... this reminds of that "things said at the gun store" thread. [laugh]

I'd have chimed in. Even here, we have people referint to a Mass LTC as a "CCW Permit".

Details, like clips and mags; bullets and cartridges; etc. matter. Moreso when you have a new-to-the-sport person.

We have trained professionals to handle this sort of deatil, and referring them to GOAL is a good idea.

I only refer to ammo as "gun food" when talking to people that know that I know the propper term.... [laugh]

You should have just lifted up your shirt showing your IWB holster with a big black grip sticking out and say that you cant carry this with Target and hunting! [grin]

Last edited:
Has anyone actually ever been denided when applying for ALP? I thought it was just routine for those CLEOs to put the restrictions on -- never denying and requiring a re-application.

--jcr

Has anyone actually ever been denided when applying for ALP? I thought it was just routine for those CLEOs to put the restrictions on -- never denying and requiring a re-application.

--jcr

This is a distinction without a difference.

Back
Top Bottom