the things iv learned on my first day of MA shotgun deer hunting

My neighbor shot a big 15-pointer from a kids tree fort and the deer died in the neighbor's driveway. Dressed at #184.

His prep consists of putting on the blaze jacket and hat that sit outside for a day. No scent killer etc.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

Same here. I don't buy 50 pieces of designer gear, scents, yadda yadda. I never have an issue. Even if you don't know the area, you should be able to look at a topo and figure out where they are.

Piss jug? [rolleyes]

Part of that is based on the local does. I have been in two areas the last two days and I have seen more scraping than I have all season so far. The rut is really disjointed this year for lack of a better term.

I rarely use scents now and when I do I try to stay to the less common stuff. The way I see it is that the usual over the counter stuff gets used by everybody and IMO a lot of it gets contaminated with human scent by hunters that are not as careful as I am. I even spray down the scent bombs I used to use with scent killer because they are handled at the factory. Once the deer associate a scent with a human smell you will not fool a mature buck (for the most part). JMO, JME There is no always or never in the deer woods.

If I have a doe tag I will never use doe in estrus pee as most does will go the other way if they are not in heat as they do not want to be bothered by a horny buck.

This muzzleloader season will be a great season to put out food based scents IMO though.

You have an excellent routine. Keep at it you will score.

That and food. Unless a deer hunter lives under a rock he/she knows that deer love acorns and the whites above all others. There are not a lot of acorns this year so what else to they eat??? That is the real question this year.

I am convinced that one of the reasons that "no one" is seeing deer is that we have had 7 years of decent acorn crops and the hunters have fallen into their own patterns about where they like to hunt based on past years successes.

It is all about where they can sleep undisturbed and what they are eating at the moment.

As always this is just my opinion and it is worth what you paid for it. LOL

Bob
I see lots of deer. Given ive only gotten 2 this year Ive passed on many. And have seen more then 10 in a single night. Iuse scents every time i got out! Wheather I use them for attraction or cover scents. I dont buy junk crap from a store. I get mine collected bottled ad shipped to me the same day.

Last edited:
I see lots of deer. Given ive only gotten 2 this year Ive passed on many. And have seen more then 10 in a single night. Iuse scents every time i got out! Wheather I use them for attraction or cover scents. I dont buy junk crap from a store. I get mine collected bottled ad shipped to me the same day.

I think that that makes all the difference in the world. I have seen far less deer this year than I usually see but some years are like that for me. I took an 8 point and a turkey with the xbow in Connecticut and a 5 point with the gun in Mass so far this year.

Bob

Saturday should b a great day low of 32 and high of 44.
My freezer it prety full rite now I want to hunt but realy dont need any more meat. Not sure what Im gona do.

I think that that makes all the difference in the world.

I do the same, I buy fresh estrus urine from a deer breeder in Ohio.

I'm working in Warren and West Brookfield today. Are these folks hunting with AA12s? A lot of strings of multiple shots. Haven't heard any singles or doubles.

I can tell it's deer hunting season because on all the motorcycle forums riders are complaining about deer in places they usually don't see deer.

Do they have calenders or something?[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom