The term “Gun Violence”

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
It took me a while to understand why the term “gun violence” was being used, rather than “gun crime.

Suicides by gun. Even The Atlantic agrees.https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/12/gun-deaths-city-murders-suicides/578812/

If gun suicides were removed from the total of gun homicides, gun deaths would be half the social problem, and most of those concentrated among big city gangs and other criminal uses.

And: “In 2017, there were an estimated 1.4 million suicide attempts and more than 47,000 deaths by suicide, making it the tenth leading cause of death in the United States. Firearms were involved in half of all suicides, and there were more than twice as many deaths by suicide than by homicide.”

Suicide isn’t a crime. And gun suicides are behind hanging and drug overdoses (called “Poisoning”) are a much bigger problem in MA.

Attachments

• 91D3DA6A-FC79-47AC-8690-C8622092F8E0.jpeg
    91D3DA6A-FC79-47AC-8690-C8622092F8E0.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 6
Suicide was a crime. Only within the last sixty or so years has suicide become decriminalized. In the legal world, that's a blink in time.

But yeah, fudging the numbers is entirely their goal. Even "gun crime" is a term I dislike and avoid because all gun laws are unconstitutional.

It took me a while to understand why the term “gun violence” was being used, rather than “gun crime.
It's called propaganda. Control the language of the non-debate to control the outcome.

Firearm prohibitionists set about to make the term gun synonymous with violence. It's part of their playbook. Same with "gun deaths" in that they push the narrative that gun equals death. The goal was to make guns inseparable from violence and death in the American psyche.

You might have noticed "killed by guns" in the subtitle of the article whose URL you provided. That is intended to convey guns perform killings, as if of their own volition. More propaganda.

Even people on this site rigidly adhere to the language and definitions of the firearm prohibition lobby. It's demonstrative of the many small in ways in which firearm prohibitionists are winning.
Suicides by gun. Even The Atlantic agrees.https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/12/gun-deaths-city-murders-suicides/578812/

If gun suicides were removed from the total of gun homicides, gun deaths would be half the social problem, and most of those concentrated among big city gangs and other criminal uses.

And: “In 2017, there were an estimated 1.4 million suicide attempts and more than 47,000 deaths by suicide, making it the tenth leading cause of death in the United States. Firearms were involved in half of all suicides, and there were more than twice as many deaths by suicide than by homicide.”

Suicide isn’t a crime. And gun suicides are behind hanging and drug overdoses (called “Poisoning”) are a much bigger problem in MA.

Of deaths perpetrated via the use of firearms, the proportion of suicides to homicides is widely known, so nothing is new there. But firearm prohibitionists lump them all together when convenient for propaganda value.

So if i commit suicide due to loosing everything I've ever worked for because of the covid shut down is that gun violence or covid related or one in each column?

I have always wondered why "gun violence" is worse than any other kind of violence? (spoiler: its not!) You are right, its all about controlling the language. No matter what tool was used to commit violence against a person, its still bad. Calling it "gun violence" is simply a tool for demonizing gun owners.

Take the fact that more people are killed (according to FBI crime statistics) with fists than with ALL rifles each year, yet nobody seems to be calling for an end to fist fights. Twice as many people die each year (according to the CDC morbidity statistics) of alcohol related causes than by all guns, suicides included, and yet nobody wants to go back to prohibition. Gun control is not now, nor has it ever been about making the population safer. If it were, they could just be saying "violence" ... but that does not further their agenda to disarm the people.

“Gun violence” and “Gun crime” are propaganda terms used to both scare the sheep and to support a false narrative.

The gun prohibitionists use this term to create their own set of statistics that show that more guns lead to more gun crimes.

They need to do this because they can’t prove the same against overall violent crimes. In fact the stats are against them on this.

More guns lead to less violent crime. But they can’t have people thinking that they are more safe if they are armed or live in a state where they can actually protect themselves

Drunk driver kills, do we call it vehicle violence?

Texting Driver runs over 3 on bicycles killing 1, do we call it cell phone violence?

Someone is stabbed with a knife, do we call it knife violence?

Guns are violent they say eh.....this makes it very hard on me as to when I open my gun safe I need to figure out very quickly which ones are the violent ones.....you know...before they get violent...

Gun Violence, Illegal Gun, Unlicensed Gun, Illegal Magazine, High Capacity Gun.... <---= They all transfer the problem to, "THE GUN" and never consider the fact that it is, =---> "THE PEOPLE". This is mental transference to a thing instead of people.

From my Sig line below. "You cannot legislate morality nor make laws that prevent bad people from doing bad things." Smokey-Seven

So they transfer it from people to a thing. They can pass laws against things.

Violent criminals commit violent crimes no matter what weapons they use. Singling out firearms is the ruse on which the propaganda is based.

Back
Top Bottom