The Survival Doctor Site

Doc, thanks for creating the site and posting a link here. Haven’t done too much surfing but I’m impressed with what I have seen. My friends will soon be getting an e-mail with the link to your site. Thanks for putting in the work!

I have a couple of posts up about radiation. One is how to deal with nuclear power plant meltdown threats. Another is on pros and cons of taking potassium iodide. I would love to know your thoughts. www.TheSurvivalDoctor.com

Did I miss the one on iodide, or has it not been posted yet? Looking forward to reading it, thanks for posting!

Yo Doc, I noticed you didn't mention Poison Ivy vines. I didn't know it you new it or not but these vines grow right up trees. I have seen people use it as cordage, lashing, and use it as tinder to start fires...(bad idea)
Also how did you get jewelweed soup. I have made it but never heard of anywhere to buy it.

Yo Doc, I noticed you didn't mention Poison Ivy vines. I didn't know it you new it or not but these vines grow right up trees. I have seen people use it as cordage, lashing, and use it as tinder to start fires...(bad idea)
Also how did you get jewelweed soup. I have made it but never heard of anywhere to buy it.

We get Burts Bees at CVS and there is someone that makes it at the local farmers market.

We get Burts Bees at CVS and there is someone that makes it at the local farmers market.

Thanks, Coastie.

Poison Ivy vines are really poison oak. I mentioned in my post that I stay away from vines unless they have leaves on them and the leaves definitely aren't "of three." I think Burt's Bees poison ivy soap has jewelweed but I don't know how much. In the post sidebar link is the place we buy our jewelweed soap.

- - - Updated - - -

jmjkd. You're welcome.

Anyone ever hear of a zeer pot? Easy cold storage when there's no electricity. http://www.thesurvivaldoctor.com/2012/06/19/insulin-storage/

THe hard thing with zeer pots is they need low humidity to work. We have tried them a couple of times with very little success because of the high humidity here.
Small packages could be stored in a well. Our well is about 150 ft deep and the water is always in the low 50s out of the tap. Probably a little cooler in the well as it doesnt sit in the pipes.

Another option might be a spring house of sorts. It would not have to be very big. We used to keep stuff cold at a friends camp with a half a 55 gal drum buried in the spring. Rocks were piled all around it and it had a plywood lid. It kept our milk and drinks cold by submerging them and things like veggies and eggs on a little rack right above the water.
Also for colder areas you could cut and store ice in the winter for summer use. That is a long term solution but it worked for a long time before refrigeration.

Anyone ever hear of a zeer pot? Easy cold storage when there's no electricity. http://www.thesurvivaldoctor.com/2012/06/19/insulin-storage/

THe hard thing with zeer pots is they need low humidity to work. We have tried them a couple of times with very little success because of the high humidity here.
Small packages could be stored in a well. Our well is about 150 ft deep and the water is always in the low 50s out of the tap. Probably a little cooler in the well as it doesnt sit in the pipes.

Another option might be a spring house of sorts. It would not have to be very big. We used to keep stuff cold at a friends camp with a half a 55 gal drum buried in the spring. Rocks were piled all around it and it had a plywood lid. It kept our milk and drinks cold by submerging them and things like veggies and eggs on a little rack right above the water.
Also for colder areas you could cut and store ice in the winter for summer use. That is a long term solution but it worked for a long time before refrigeration.

Yes they are also called swamp coolers as coastie points out the high humidity in the north east makes them kind of impractical but they do work

I have a couple of new posts on saving someone from drowning. First is how to get them out of the water without endangering yourself. Second is on the differences on CPR of a near drowning victim vs CPR of someone who collapses on dry land.
Does anyone have any experiences to share?
http://bit.ly/NcprEK

I have a couple of new posts on saving someone from drowning. First is how to get them out of the water without endangering yourself. Second is on the differences on CPR of a near drowning victim vs CPR of someone who collapses on dry land.
Does anyone have any experiences to share?
http://bit.ly/NcprEK

I've done my fair share of water rescues, and CPR on a fisherman who had fallen into the water. The fisherman was too far gone, but when there is a hysterical crowd around, you have to work them.

Back
Top Bottom