• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The stupid hurts

on top of that, why aren't they mandating chamber flags for rimfire stuff?
lots of rimfire guns have a mag safety, make them put a chamber flag in at the line, and leave the god damn thing alone until you are on the line again.
if you are off the line and not at a safe table with no ammo and you are fiddling with a gun, you go home.
no excuses.

My Ruger has the mag safety. When the RO clears me I release the slide and bag the pistol. Done.

There is No need to insert a mag just to release the slide forward on a Ruger with the mag safety. All the mag safety does is prevent the hammer from dropping when a mag is not inserted.
No reason to ever put an empty mag into an empty gun unless you are specifically doing dry handling drills, and even then it would be better to have a mag with snap caps.
A lot of competitions make you drop the mag, release the slide, AND PULL THE TRIGGER to show clear. Whenever a gun with a mag disconnect is encountered, the procedure is for the shooter to show the RO an empty mag, insert it, drop the slide, pull the trigger, remove the mag, and holster. I have no idea how this match was run obviously.

on top of that, why aren't they mandating chamber flags for rimfire stuff?
lots of rimfire guns have a mag safety, make them put a chamber flag in at the line, and leave the god damn thing alone until you are on the line again.
if you are off the line and not at a safe table with no ammo and you are fiddling with a gun, you go home.
no excuses.

Chamber flags *are* mandated.
You come to the line with one, you load and make ready at direction of RO, you unload and show clear including re-inserting chamber flag before being "cleared" to leave the line.
This occurred at the tables behind the firing line after the shooter had left the line.

As I said - I do not know what our executive board will do.

A lot of competitions make you drop the mag, release the slide, AND PULL THE TRIGGER to show clear. Whenever a gun with a mag disconnect is encountered, the procedure is for the shooter to show the RO an empty mag, insert it, drop the slide, pull the trigger, remove the mag, and holster. I have no idea how this match was run obviously.
An earlier post touched on this. Some rimfire guns can be damaged with dry firing.

Our proceedure for centrrfire guns is drop mag show the ro a clear gun release the slide and pull the trigger toward the berm. With rimrifes drop mag show the ro a clear gun release the slide and bag the pistol. I know there are a small number of centrrfire guns that have mag safeties that prevent the hammer from dropping without a mag inserted. Other than the occasional browning high power I have never encountered another. In the case of a high power being used removing the mag showing clear and releasing the slide and bagging is ok with me when I'm ro

In the case of this ND on this post it sounds like the guy was handling his pistol at a rear table after he was cleared on the line.....which at the matches at my club is a problem. No fire arms are to be handled off the line. Once bagged they are either placed on the rear table or put into a range bag. We have a lane set aside for anyone that needs handle a gun (to work on it for example or to just show it to someone).

Didn't consider mag disconnect. Probably because I think it's an abomination. It would make zero sense to force a mag into a gun that can't fire without it. All you are doing is increasing the chances of an accident, not lowering it

Didn't consider mag disconnect. Probably because I think it's an abomination. It would make zero sense to force a mag into a gun that can't fire without it. All you are doing is increasing the chances of an accident, not lowering it

I agree with you on this point. On the other side of things though, a mag disconnect saved the life of a buddy of mine many years ago. I will not go into details on this, but will say it deals with a prisoner, ignorant/stupid medical staff and an officer getting attacked by said prisoner.

I like to apply an old martial arts concept, as few steps as possible. I can't see any reason to use more steps than necessary to show clear, or any reason to ever handle a firearm when I'm not on a line. Back into the holster or into the range bag where it stays. Extra steps only mean extra risk.

so I just started competing .22 pistol this year again after many years away from it. I know everyone does it differently and on a 41 a cable lock is kind of useless but less so I thing than a trigger lock. Well, at least it looks like I'm trying....lol

Anyway, because I always transport the gun and never cc this gun I always put a cable lock through with the slide locked back. I throw the magazines in the range bag.
Happens that way every time before I clear from the line. Stay that way until cleaning or next use.

All my guns leave the range without a magazine in the gun.

That's just my way. It seems to work.

The only gun that is exempt from this treatment is my carry firearm. That goes right back in the holster without pulling the trigger.

I hope it's nothing more than a bad bruise as described. I know the OP is pissed about it I can only imagine his buddy who was hit.
If he went ballistic on the mushroom he would be within his rights.

Back
Top Bottom