• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Springfield Armory XD-E line is Dead......

Honest question, what do people not like about the grip safety? I have an XDS 3.3 and the grip safety doesn't bother me at all. I mean, I'd rather not have it but it's there and hasn't caused me any issues.
A couple times at the range when drawing from the holster, I had a firm enough grip, but had to choke up a little on the grip to get it to fire. Just another possible point of failure.

A couple times at the range when drawing from the holster, I had a firm enough grip, but had to choke up a little on the grip to get it to fire. Just another possible point of failure.

Yeah, I can see that. I know my sister-in-law had issues with it when I let her shoot it one day at the range, but she has really small hands/fingers and somehow her grip did not fully depress it. I shot it a few times in IDPA matches in Bug division and never once had an issue, but I have pretty meaty hands, I guess.

Honest question, what do people not like about the grip safety? I have an XDS 3.3 and the grip safety doesn't bother me at all. I mean, I'd rather not have it but it's there and hasn't caused me any issues.

The grip safety makes it harder to claim "it just went off" when you shoot someone and try to make look like an accident, and then file a lawsuit against the manufacturer.

FWIW, I think Baker's analysis is spot on. The XDe 9mm 3.3" is a very reliable gun, but it looks and kind of feels like somebody put a normal-size gun in a hydraulic press and flattened it a bit. Even so, it isn't effectively as thin as it could be because of the safety. Take that same idea, scale it right for 9mm, give it a slightly wider grip with a staggered 10-round magazine, replace the safety/decocker with a decocker-only that doesn't make the gun wider, and I'd probably buy it. Who was going to carry it 1911-style, anyway?

The penchant for the XD's grip safety (and myraid other parts) to break and render the gun completely inoperable is well documented. Stop buying shit guns.

FWIW, I think Baker's analysis is spot on. The XDe 9mm 3.3" is a very reliable gun, but it looks and kind of feels like somebody put a normal-size gun in a hydraulic press and flattened it a bit. Even so, it isn't effectively as thin as it could be because of the safety. Take that same idea, scale it right for 9mm, give it a slightly wider grip with a staggered 10-round magazine, replace the safety/decocker with a decocker-only that doesn't make the gun wider, and I'd probably buy it. Who was going to carry it 1911-style, anyway?

It was a carry gun explicitly targeted at nervous boomers/fudds, the “bweah I gutta habwa manuel safety” thing is a hard stop requirement for that archetype. I’m guessing that market is pretty saturated though, lol.

The penchant for the XD's grip safety (and myraid other parts) to break and render the gun completely inoperable is well documented. Stop buying shit guns.

Well documented? That link itself acknowledges the "data" is anecdotal. But thanks for the input.

Ltt xde option is pretty nice. Takes a bit getting used to reminds of shooting a high bore axis sig 226. nice To have da - decocker as an option.

Ltt xde option is pretty nice. Takes a bit getting used to reminds of shooting a high bore axis sig 226. nice To have da - decocker as an option.
I wonder how much better Langdon makes the SA trigger. As a DA revolver shooter, I don't have any problem with the DA, but the SA trigger is a little mushy. It doesn't move far before it breaks, but after take-up and if I really try, I can make it move slightly a couple of times before it breaks on the third. That doesn't really matter for self-defense, but I like to see what I can do at the range, marksmanship-wise.

Just my novice take, but hammer/polymer guns just seem like an odd choice in today's market. Plus, I'm betting they have a lot of sku cannibalism in sales. Hellcat eating into XD sales and Hellcat and XD eating into XD-E sales. Cut the fat and concentrate on the most popular models.

It would be easier to justify a DA/SA design if the SA trigger obviously outclassed striker triggers, as a good 1911 trigger does. But what you really get, in my experience, is a lighter SA trigger (versus typical striker) that isn't all that great. In order to shoot my XD-e accurately in slow fire mode, I treat it like a short and light DA trigger.

I heard the xde stock is horrendous

the ltt really changed my mind. I love mine.
i carry one in the chamber hammer down and have done some drills with double taps first shot da and it’s great. I don’t think I’d say the same with a stock xde. they are hard to come by and I saw this deal and couldn’t pass up.

Just my novice take, but hammer/polymer guns just seem like an odd choice in today's market. Plus, I'm betting they have a lot of sku cannibalism in sales. Hellcat eating into XD sales and Hellcat and XD eating into XD-E sales. Cut the fat and concentrate on the most popular models.

hellcat with optic ready makes the xde useless. i like the xde single stack for easy concealment and +1 on mags w extension so I can get 10+1.
i won’t win the masses but I love the ltt version of the xde.

The XDE was not built for you. It was built for.... this guy...

fuddish.png

"I only carry guns wit a hammah and a manuel safety. Them striker guns are from the devil. "

hellcat with optic ready makes the xde useless. i like the xde single stack for easy concealment and +1 on mags w extension so I can get 10+1.
i won’t win the masses but I love the ltt version of the xde.

This is going to be a weird, unfounded, and controversial statement, but I personally don't like hammers on polymer guns. Hammers on full metal guns: good. Hammers on Glock-like guns: no bueno. I have no math to show as backup. Just my take, but I feel like I can't be the only one.

This is going to be a weird, unfounded, and controversial statement, but I personally don't like hammers on polymer guns. Hammers on full metal guns: good. Hammers on Glock-like guns: no bueno. I have no math to show as backup. Just my take, but I feel like I can't be the only one.
Meh, HK has done hammers on plastic guns since the 90s. They're fine, but dumb marketing idea for someone not a strong player....

I heard the xde stock is horrendous
I'm not sure because I try to adapt, if possible. While not target grade, the XD-e didn't seem terrible to me, though for some reason it took me several hundred rounds of practice before I had it sorted out. I think it had more to do with where it was breaking (closer to the palm than I would like) than it did with any other aspect of the trigger. Using the pad of the finger closer to the tip and pressing straight back instead of hooking the trigger and pulling as I would with a DA revolver seemed to fix it.

Meh, HK has done hammers on plastic guns since the 90s. They're fine, but dumb marketing idea for someone not a strong player....
Very true. Dumb of me for forgetting about HK. I'd give them a pass there, but I'd also give them a pass on goofy euro mag releases as well, where I wouldn't with other manufacturers. They're a special class in my mind I guess. Not sure they deserve to be, but iconic for sure.

Back
Top Bottom