The sportsman den Quincy ma

Sir,

The person that was working with you was the owner. And I work part time there and happen to stop in and was helping out when you were there. First off if you had taken 2min to call ahead and check what you had needed to do the trans, you would have had your Pin with you when you showed up to the shop. So how is you not having your Pin our fault? And you were waiting on two people to show up for a good while before you even were ready to be helped.

And yes there were people doing sales and paperwork ahead of you when your party got there so you had to wait. 2nd you have done your 4 personal transfers for the year and you needed to go throw a dealer. The law is the law no dealer can do the transfer without your Pin.

I know for fact this is the first time you have even been in the shop seeing the owner has never seen you before. The whole case comes down to you were told something that you didn't like and you didn't came with the things you needed to do the trans. None of which our fault as much as you don't like to hear that. I was there the whole time and the owner spoke to you in a normal tone and informed you he couldn't do it simple as that.

The owner even told you to try and call your local police department and normally they would give you the Pin over the phone. You got on your phone and try to contact them, again if they were not in the office that does not have anything to do with the shop. If you don't want to come back to the shop I am sorry to hear that, but I think if you really look back at what happened and are honest with yourself of the facts, none of this had a thing to do with anyone treating you badly.

Thank you.

Stopped in there today with another NES member who was buying my Sig 1911 and we were going to have the transfer done at the Den; they gave me attitude right off the bat and said it would cost $50 and we needed to wait until they processed all of the paying customers first.........we waited while one of the guys filled out a form with one customer who must have been a bit slow and then we were finally ready. The crabby SOB behind the counter announced that he needed our LTC's AND my pin#!!! He said the regulations changed last year and he had to process us via eFA form and he needed my pin number which I don't keep with me and they refused to do the transfer....complete a**h***s running that place today and I will never walk in there again..........they are not willing to help fellow gun owners so I refuse to give them any business, ever!!!!!

Last edited:
Sir,

The person that was working with you was the owner. And I work part time there and happen to stop in and was helping out when you were there. First off if you had taken 2min to call ahead and check what you had needed to do the trans, you would have had your Pin with you when you showed up to the shop. So how is you not having your Pin our fault? And you were waiting on two people to show up for a good while before you even were ready to be helped.

And yes there were people doing sales and paperwork ahead of you when your party got there so you had to wait. 2nd you have done your 4 personal transfers for the year and you needed to go throw a dealer. The law is the law no dealer can do the transfer without your Pin.

I know for fact this is the first time you have even been in the shop seeing the owner has never seen you before. The whole case comes down to you were told something that you didn't like and you didn't came with the things you needed to do the trans. None of which our fault as much as you don't like to hear that. I was there the whole time and the owner spoke to you in a normal tone and informed you he couldn't do it simple as that.

The owner even told you to try and call your local police department and normally they would give you the Pin over the phone. You got on your phone and try to contact them, again if they were not in the office that does not have anything to do with the shop. If you don't want to come back to the shop I am sorry to hear that, but I think if you really look back at what happened and are honest with yourself of the facts, none of this had a thing to do with anyone treating you badly.

Thank you.

This is simply your opinion and the other member agreed with me. The owner was rude and charging us $50 for a simple transfer is ridiculous, second he did not need my pin number and could have done the transfer without having that information.

There are many other good gun shops that will help gun owners and we will complete the transfer elsewhere today.

This shop lost two potential customers yesterday and that all there is to it. Other members on here can make up their own minds and shop wherever they feel free to do so.

Well good luck with that. And legally the only way is online with Ur Pin so cut and dry u are wrong sorry u can't admit that. Have a good day.

Well good luck with that. And legally the only way is online with Ur Pin so cut and dry u are wrong sorry u can't admit that. Have a good day.

Quick question on your two statements above.

When did they do away with the fingerprint reader? Or is the shop fingerprint reader non-functional?

AFAIK, transactions in shops are done with the fingerprint reader and only if the fingerprint is unreadable do you need the PIN. Is that no longer true?

I ask the above to be properly informed. I take no position in the original complaint other than to fully agree that it is our responsibility to always have the PIN available to us if needed.

Lens,

New sales are done with finger print reader. And doing the trans u have to use your PIN that is how the state has it currently setup. There has been talk about just using PIN for all, but as with anything with the state its just talk and rumor mill right now.

Quick question on your two statements above.

When did they do away with the fingerprint reader? Or is the shop fingerprint reader non-functional?

AFAIK, transactions in shops are done with the fingerprint reader and only if the fingerprint is unreadable do you need the PIN. Is that no longer true?

I ask the above to be properly informed. I take no position in the original complaint other than to fully agree that it is our responsibility to always have the PIN available to us if needed.

If you go onto mass firearms registration you will see a pin is required to do an EFA10 transfer, being a dealer we must have your pin number to transfer to the shop, the state will not accept an FA10 unless it has been provided by the CHSB. If you doubt this or have any questions you can call the the CHSB at the following number 617-660-4782, there is a lot of misinformation going around on this site and because someone on NES did not like what we had to say about the state required procedure they decided to give us a bad review, you as consumers can judge for yourself by looking at all the previous reviews, as you can see there is only 1 bad review by this particular NES member.

interesting comments.....just got back from another shop in Middleboro where they handled the transfer professionally and with a smile for $30 and no pin was requested or needed. Did they transfer the gun properly, yes they filled in the federal and state forms did the computer work and called for approval....maybe they are just more experienced. Regardless, now Roger owns a Sig 1911 and I picked up a shiny new S&W 1911Pro 9mm while there......

Lens,

New sales are done with finger print reader. And doing the trans u have to use your PIN that is how the state has it currently setup. There has been talk about just using PIN for all, but as with anything with the state its just talk and rumor mill right now.

Thanks for the explanation. I always assumed that the FFL puts it on their books and then transfers it the same exact way they would do a retail sale. That's how a few were done when I bought a gun from an NES'r at a dealer (however it was before I had the cc LTC, so no PIN and no print). I've only had the new style LTC for a bit over a year now.

If you did not get a copy of a numbered FA10 or a copy of the EFA10 then they did not do the transfer from you to the shop correctly, as for doing the federal and state forms that is done after the the firearm has been transferred to the shop, then it is transferred from the shop to the new owner, you apparently don't know what you are talking about. Call the above phone number and talk to the chsb directly, they are the ones that set the policy, just because the dealer you apparently went to did it differently does not mean he did it correctly.

I chnged my mind. Going to visit your shop if I get to the area with a little time to spare.

Seems you are on the up and up to me.

Lets not confuse transfer to new owner and transfer from original owner to the shop, transferring your weapon to the shop is a different procedure than transferring to the new owner, we put it in our book as as acusition and goes out as a dispositon if you trade in a weapon to a shop without getting either an EFA10 copy or an FA10 paper copy then where is your receipt from the shop for your trade in or transfer? if you just hand your firearm to someone without getting a receipt IE: FA10 then you are a fool because you have no idea if the dealer logs your firearm into his books or not.

If you did not get a copy of a numbered FA10 or a copy of the EFA10 then they did not do the transfer from you to the shop correctly, as for doing the federal and state forms that is done after the the firearm has been transferred to the shop, then it is transferred from the shop to the new owner, you apparently don't know what you are talking about. Call the above phone number and talk to the chsb directly, they are the ones that set the policy, just because the dealer you apparently went to did it differently does not mean he did it correctly.

OK, I think I know where you are coming from now, and this procedure falls in line with Jason Guida's interpretation that ALL transfers to a DEALER MUST create an FA-10 form to get it out of the name of the prior owner (Note: His interpretation includes transfers thru out-of-state dealers as well). Jason told me that when he tells dealers this most of them laugh at him and almost none are doing it his way. Yes, it makes sense, but just isn't widely followed. You may be the only dealer in MA doing this. [wink]

As I told Jason, NO gun that I've ever sold to a dealer/put on consignment (and was subsequently sold) has ever given me "paper" indicating such a transaction. [NOTE: Having sold only a handful of guns in 30+ years, this happened a long time ago wrt dealer sale for me.] I have bought a handful of guns from NES'rs over the past 7 years where a dealer did the transfer and in NO CASE did the seller get an FA-10 form from the dealer!

If we as dealers do not do an FA10 or EFA10 transfer we are in violation PERIOD, I don't know what else to say other than that, if I traded in or transferred a firearm to a shop without get some sort of paperwork than shame on me.

Just one more thing go onto the massachusetts firearms registration and transfer system, click on personal transfer and you will see the seller information as well as the buyer, look at the bottom and you can clearly see it has a spot for dealer license number this is how we are supposed to do person to dealer transfers, there is no debate here on this look at the facts. So for our friend that says we have less experience than the other shop I believe it to be the other way around, if anyone here has any questions about this please feel free to give me a call,

Ron 617-770-3884

I have been here twice. Both times the owner took the time to give everyone his full attention. The last time I was there, I didn't buy anything but he still took the time to answer any questions and didn't get aggravated with my newbie questions. I will definitely stop in again.

interesting comments.....just got back from another shop in Middleboro where they handled the transfer professionally and with a smile for $30 and no pin was requested or needed. Did they transfer the gun properly, yes they filled in the federal and state forms did the computer work and called for approval....maybe they are just more experienced. Regardless, now Roger owns a Sig 1911 and I picked up a shiny new S&W 1911Pro 9mm while there......

Ditto - I have never been treated so badly at any store. Just have to add that There's no exaggeration on Herdbull's part.

I would like to add that everyone here has always treated me and several of my friends who go here very well. They've always taken the time to answer our questions even when we weren't buying anything from them. When I have purchased they've taken all the time I needed to talk about the purchase. I always enjoy going into the shop whether I'm browsing or buying the guys are a pleasure to deal with. Thank you for running such a great shop so close to my house!

I have never been to this store, so I do not have a good or bad feedback for them, but I do have to say $50 for a transfer is just to much.

I've stopped in a number of times and they have done a number of transfers for me.... My experience has always been great......

I would like to add that everyone here has always treated me and several of my friends who go here very well. They've always taken the time to answer our questions even when we weren't buying anything from them. When I have purchased they've taken all the time I needed to talk about the purchase. I always enjoy going into the shop whether I'm browsing or buying the guys are a pleasure to deal with. Thank you for running such a great shop so close to my house!

Ditto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This shop has been my go to shop for everything for the last 2 years. Never had anything but a great experience. I even buy my fishing stuff there. Sorry you had a bad experience. Just do yourself a favor and stay away from that shop in weymouth.

as a business owner, a customer's perception of a transaction is all that matters. Could have been a bad day down there, who knows, but i love that place and they truly are very nice guys.

so, one bad experience. chalk it up to lesson learned on both ends. a pissing contest on the forum isn't going to change either's perception.

Just wanted to thank the owner for helping me out with my 1911. I was having an issue (that was my fault) and he took the time to walk me through exactly how to prevent it and keep the gun running properly. Great service especially considering it was a busy day!

Guy's,

Just want to thank you for all the kind words! Speaking for myself when I work the shop I am all about you guys the customers, love talking about the product and just talking to you all in general. I know the owner and the rest of the guys are the same way.

Jrjr hit it on the head with what he had to say in his post! Again thanks and happy shooting...

Nothing but good things to say about Sportsman's Den. Got my LC9 there and almost picked up a Sig P226 from them the other day. Unfortunately no 9mm versions were in stock.

Back
Top Bottom