• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The South is rising again: Gun Bill in Missouri Would Test Limits in Nullifying U.S.

"Could make criminals out of the law enforcement officers." OMG! I wonder what that's like--one day you're toting a gun legally and the next you're an enemy of the sate [rolleyes]

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/29/u...ullification-boundary.html?src=me&ref=general

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. — Unless a handful of wavering Democrats change their minds, the Republican-controlled Missouri legislature is expected to enact a statute next month nullifying all federal gun laws in the state and making it a crime for federal agents to enforce them here. A Missourian arrested under federal firearm statutes would even be able to sue the arresting officer.

The law amounts to the most far-reaching states’ rights endeavor in the country, the far edge of a growing movement known as “nullification” in which a state defies federal power.

The Missouri Republican Party thinks linking guns to nullification works well, said Matt Wills, the party’s director of communications, thanks in part to the push by President Obama for tougher gun laws. “It’s probably one of the best states’ rights issues that the country’s got going right now,” he said.

The measure was vetoed last month by Gov. Jay Nixon, a Democrat, as unconstitutional. But when the legislature gathers again on Sept. 11, it will seek to override his veto, even though most experts say the courts will strike down the measure. Nearly every Republican and a dozen Democrats appear likely to vote for the override.

Richard G. Callahan, the United States attorney for the Eastern District of Missouri, is concerned. He cited a recent joint operation of federal, state and local law enforcement officials that led to 159 arrests and the seizing of 267 weapons, and noted that the measure “would have outlawed such operations, and would have made criminals out of the law enforcement officers.”

Last edited:
"Could make criminals out of the law enforcement officers." OMG! I wonder what that's like--one day you're toting a gun legally and the next you're an enemy of the sate [rolleyes]

You did not get the memo that making criminals out of citizens who did not harmed anybody is OK, but prosecuting criminals that happen to work for the government is not cool?

Massimo-DAlema.jpg

Good for them.

Btw , speaking of State's Rights : where exactly does the Federal Government assume power to enact a national ban on anything gun related ? I know about the '34 NFA , but what's the general legal stance on a national ban on anything. Never saw that clause in the Constitution .

Since when is Missouri "The South"?

dam you and your historical facts [smile]

so yeah, MO was not a confederate state but I just thought the south rising title seemed appropriate given the federal vs. states rights

Aren't most states south of the "Hub of the Universe", Boston [rolleyes]

Like when I talk to my friends in Maine I say, "everything is fine in the lower 47!"

Back
Top Bottom