The September 11, 2001 Boatlift

Between the Cajun Navy and boating and swimming deaths posts, I thought of this video and figured it needed it's own place.

It's coming up on the anniversary soon, anyhow.

(My favorite line: "At that point, the Coast Guard said, 'Not how many people are you allowed, how many people can you fit...' ")

Twelve minutes, with no emphasis on horribly graphic images.

Last edited by a moderator:
"...more evacuated and in shorter time than Dunkirk..." Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Like Mr. Rogers once said, quoting his mother, "When things are scary, look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping."

(My favorite line: "At that point, the Coast Guard said, 'Not how many people are you allowed, how many people can you fit...' ")

Coast Guard is REALLY good at smashing headlong through the red tape when the situation calls for action. I can't think of any other government agency or branch of the armed forces that promotes on-scene initiative and pushes decision making DOWN the chain to the extent they do.

Coast Guard is REALLY good at smashing headlong through the red tape when the situation calls for action. I can't think of any other government agency or branch of the armed forces that promotes on-scene initiative and pushes decision making DOWN the chain to the extent they do.

Agreed. Well said.

At the time I was an 'intern' for the philly district USACE and we sent every boat we could up there. I couldn't go due to only being a intern but pretty much all the field people went up.

I was there. I was on the Jersey City side helping. Had a friend working on one of the boats. For days he volunteered ferry people out from pier 11 and later remains into Bayonne. He was really traumatized by it all, but he did his part, as most all of us did. I had never seen so many people come together to help each other out. It truly was a testament to the human spirit and American patriotism. As many jokes as everyone makes about Jersey, myself included, and I was raised there, Jersey came through when it counted. The docks of Hoboken, Jersey City, and Bayonne where overflowing with boats of all sizes ferrying people off the island. It was a surrealistic experience.

I'm always impressed that when the USCG does anything and then talks to the press about it, they usually send out junior enlisted guys to handle the media. They always do a good job with it, too; shows they trust their EMs.

It's always fun when Channel 7 tags some BM2 as a "Coast Guard Spokesman."

Buddy of mine is an ex-Coastie and at the time was a NPS LEO for the New York Harbor parks. As soon as he let his boss know about his background he was working the boatlift.

Back
Top Bottom