The sad new way kids play school

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My 6 and 3 year old daughters love to play school. When I got home from work Friday I went up to see them and I found this lesson plan on the desk

image.jpg

It really made me sad to see they play lock down now. I guess it's the new normal for kids these days.

Fixxah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
It will help when the SIP order is given.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Considering that kids are more likely to be killed by school violence than fire, its a good thing that these drills are being practiced regularly. That said, it's a sad state of affairs when this is what our country has become....

NorthShore

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Considering that kids are more likely to be killed by school violence than fire, its a good thing that these drills are being practiced regularly. That said, it's a sad state of affairs when this is what our country has become....
wow - is that a new stat " kids are more likely to be killed by school violence than fire"? I have not heard that before and it's certainly disturbing.

frenchman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have them practice "get the fugg out and far away from the school really fast". You want them alive, don't you?

sieveboy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
We used to drill monthly, exiting out into the hallways, kneeling down and clasping our hands behind our necks in anticipation of a megaton nuclear conflagration.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow - is that a new stat " kids are more likely to be killed by school violence than fire"? I have not heard that before and it's certainly disturbing.
Something doesn't sound right about that statistic...

In my very limited research, the number I see thrown about often is that any given child has about a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of being killed by "school violence". Of course, what do we mean by "school violence". Let's assume we are talking about some sort of news making, mad man with a weapon sort of event, not some sort of one on one thing.

The worst calculated number I saw was 1 in 141,463.

I am not sure what the odds of dying in a fire at a school are, but using 2009 numbers for the general population we still have the most unlikely event in the summary (lightning) at 1 in 126,158.

Even using the worst numbers I have seen for odds of being killed in a school, you are still more likely to be killed by lightning, storms, dogs, and legal execution than a mad man with a gun in a school.

If you want this in percentages... being killed by:

Violence At School (best) - 0.0001%
Violence At School (worst)- 0.0007%
Lightning - 0.0007%
Storms - 0.0007%
Dog - 0.0008%
Legal Execution - 0.001%
Firearms Discharge - 0.01%
Fire - 0.07%
Assault by Firearm - 0.2%
Motor Vehicle Accident - 0.9%
Intentional Self Harm - 0.9 %
Cancer - 14%
Heart Disease - 14%

These kids are literally 1000 times more likely to kill themselves than to be killed at school.

Yes, there are some apples to crab apples comparisons here, but it is the best I could do.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
The point is that the last fatal school fire in this country was in Chicago in 1958. It killed 92 kids and there haven't been any since. I think that's what Hush meant; schoolkids don't die by fire as often, anymore, as they die by gunmen.

Lots of teachers, and not just me, question the fact that there are state-mandated fire drills anymore. Four a year, in fact. Lockdown drills aren't required.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
If you TRULY want to keep your kids alive maybe it's time to start thinking about not sending them to a victim concentration center in the first place.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you TRULY want to keep your kids alive maybe it's time to start thinking about not sending them to a victim concentration center in the first place.
You're right. They should be at home at all times.

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Kids are much more likely to die in a car accident coming or going from school than anything else. If these stupid schools put
as much effort into safety lessons on that, it would pay off by about 100X in terms of expected injuries. Idiots.

Something doesn't sound right about that statistic...

In my very limited research, the number I see thrown about often is that any given child has about a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of being killed by "school violence". Of course, what do we mean by "school violence". Let's assume we are talking about some sort of news making, mad man with a weapon sort of event, not some sort of one on one thing.

The worst calculated number I saw was 1 in 141,463.

I am not sure what the odds of dying in a fire at a school are, but using 2009 numbers for the general population we still have the most unlikely event in the summary (lightning) at 1 in 126,158.

Even using the worst numbers I have seen for odds of being killed in a school, you are still more likely to be killed by lightning, storms, dogs, and legal execution than a mad man with a gun in a school.

If you want this in percentages... being killed by:

Violence At School (best) - 0.0001%
Violence At School (worst)- 0.0007%
Lightning - 0.0007%
Storms - 0.0007%
Dog - 0.0008%
Legal Execution - 0.001%
Firearms Discharge - 0.01%
Fire - 0.07%
Assault by Firearm - 0.2%
Motor Vehicle Accident - 0.9%
Intentional Self Harm - 0.9 %
Cancer - 14%
Heart Disease - 14%

These kids are literally 1000 times more likely to kill themselves than to be killed at school.

Yes, there are some apples to crab apples comparisons here, but it is the best I could do.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering that kids are more likely to be killed by school violence than fire, its a good thing that these drills are being practiced regularly.
The chance is still extremely remote. They're more likely to be killed in a car wreck, but we don't have drills for that, do we?

The drills aren't for safety. They're for compliance.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Is it bad that I would want my kids to play that scenario out? with an active shooter and teach them to take the mother****er out?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Have them practice "get the fugg out and far away from the school really fast". You want them alive, don't you?
This one always starts an argument with my wife. I say we need to teach our oldest daughter to get out and away from her school if something happens. She says a 6 year old shouldn't/can't be running out on the street alone, which I kind of agree with but I'd rather that than have her hiding behind a curtain in her classroom!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point is that the last fatal school fire in this country was in Chicago in 1958. It killed 92 kids and there haven't been any since. I think that's what Hush meant; schoolkids don't die by fire as often, anymore, as they die by gunmen.

Lots of teachers, and not just me, question the fact that there are state-mandated fire drills anymore. Four a year, in fact. Lockdown drills aren't required.
Fair enough... I couldn't find any information on deaths in fires in schools probably because the last event was so long ago.

If the last fatality in a fire in a school really was 1958, then, yes, it really is more probable that a child will die in a school at the hands of a mad man.

I doubt that the last fire in a school was 1958. The fact that there have been no fatalities in a school fire since then may very well be that there have been fire drills.

With a fire, survival means not being where the fire is. Knowing the escape routes and moving away from the fire will save lives. Drills (ideally) make sure that when panic sets in the right things happen.

Unlike a fire, a guy with a gun has a longer range and is less predictable, but similar rules apply. Don't be where he is. Know your escape routes. I have my doubts about the effectiveness of sheltering in place in either case.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Unlike a fire, a guy with a gun has a longer range and is less predictable, but similar rules apply. Don't be where he is. Know your escape routes. I have my doubts about the effectiveness of sheltering in place in either case.
It's a tough thing, and I grapple with it all the time. From my classroom, though, I can only see out into the immediate hallway; during the 5 minutes or so during which a school shooting event is likely to last, there's no way I or anyone else can possibly have enough situational awareness to know exactly where the shooter is. Unless we go into the hallway and look down it, and I'm not that fond of becoming an unconcealed target.

I, too, believe that SIP is self-defeating, and that the right move is to get the kids out fast, fire-drill style. But if I send them into the hall, even if it's to a nearby fire exit, I could well be setting up a shooting gallery from an unseen sicko just down the hall. Or, anticipating my move, he could be hanging out at the bottom of the stairs; I'd have no way of knowing, and by the time anyone could possibly let me know, the whole thing would likely be over. I've got no desire to send my class out to get killed due to my mistake.

I think, if it were to actually happen in my school, I'd encourage kids to jump out the windows and damn the broken ankles. But again, what about the kids who won't jump or are too scared to move? You need to remember that even my high-schoolers are not Ranger-trained ninjas, and that most of them will be in absolute shock. I could never leave them behind, of course, so what's the alternative?

Clearly, we all agree it would make more sense to let me and other like-minded and experienced teachers carry in the schools for exactly these reasons. Until states decide to go that way, SIP is what we're forced to live and die with.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
And why is it that? Could it be that schools now are built with less fire prone materials and that they have smoke detectors as well fire suppression systems. Maybe if we did away with "GFSZ" we wouldn't be having the mass shootings. Maybe we could not make the perp of these crimes famous. You are most certainly too young to Remember the criminals that popped up in the 20-30's as a result of the media portrayal being flattering, Bonnie and Clyde, Pretty Boy Al Cappone etc... And the media wants to glamorize them because it plays into their gun control agenda, they didn't go on an on about who this most resent killer was out in CO maybe they should do that for all of them.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a two year old, and I dread the moment she'll have to go to school.
All safety issues aside. Schools, ESPECIALLY in MA, are nothing more the indoctrination centers. My kid listens to me and her mom, and she's great to be with. I have no doubt, holding the opinions my wife and I hold, that we have hard times coming with her, later on in life.
I see/ read what they teach kids in schools here, and it makes me sick. I don't know how they come off deciding to teach that (well, I have a few guesses).
Only good think for now.. that I have years to get ready and GTFO of MA when time nears.
Remember, Liberals do believe they know how to raise YOUR kids , better than you do. Be it a coincidence or not, they raise them just like THEY want them to be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom