• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Rare MD on Our Side

I'm a physical medicine and rehab physician and i know plenty of people in healthcare that are not afraid of guns, like the media portrays. quite a few of them ask me to teach them about firearms and firearm safety.

i have encountered the anti-gunners as well, but not to the extent of crazy lunatics.

I'm a physical medicine and rehab physician and i know plenty of people in healthcare that are not afraid of guns, like the media portrays. quite a few of them ask me to teach them about firearms and firearm safety.

i have encountered the anti-gunners as well, but not to the extent of crazy lunatics.

Agreed, I work with a ton of docs that are pro-gun, although obviously the AMA is openly anti-gun.

It is really dangerous and blatantly unfair to stereotype people when it comes to attitudes about guns (or anything else for that matter). That the AMA and the American Academy of Pediatrics (and a few others) have all taken firmly anti-2A stances should not lead us to believe that the profession is overwhelmingly anti-gun. They are not. It is no different than assuming that lawyers are all anti-gun because the The Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence is an organization of attorneys.

I'll accept that criticism - there are indeed many in the medical and health professions that are avid shooters and supporters of the RKBA. They are a relatively silent minority from the professional perspective, as they risk ostracism for speaking out in professional context. While most of us would be similarly ostracized, if not fired, if we spoke loudly from a soapbox at work about guns and RKBA, we might not work in professions that are publically anti-gun (the medical profession, some government jobs, some teaching jobs, etc.)

I'm currently taking on an author on Forbes who is an MD speaking "as a physician" on guns as though gun-mediated injuries and deaths give her some superior position from which to speak. All she asks is that we stop having guns that fire lots of bullets quickly, keep accurate databases of mentally ill people and what people own what guns where, and fund research on gun violence without NRA interference in the public funding process. (banning semi-automatic firearms, register guns and gun owners and give money to anti-gun people to resume publishing junk science at taxpayer cost).

So I should have said: The Rare Medical Journal that will Publish other than Anti-Gun Papers

I stand corrected. Thanks for helping me sort my thoughts more clearly.

I have personally taken 3 doctors to the range and one subsequently became a multiple gun owner himself! Doctors of all people know stupid people and crazy people do stupid and crazy things!

It is really dangerous and blatantly unfair to stereotype people when it comes to attitudes about guns (or anything else for that matter). That the AMA and the American Academy of Pediatrics (and a few others) have all taken firmly anti-2A stances should not lead us to believe that the profession is overwhelmingly anti-gun. They are not. It is no different than assuming that lawyers are all anti-gun because the The Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence is an organization of attorneys.

Speaking as somebody who doesn't work in the healthcare field - I'm going to disagree with that.

The AMA and the American Academy of Pediatrics purport to represent ALL doctors and/or pediatricians. The Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence - is not The National Lawyer's Guild (or whatever association might nationally represent the entire legal profession)

The United States Government purports to represent all Americans. Therefore when the US Govt. goes and starts a war and starts killing people - if the country that they are killing people in decides to attack us with nukes - they're not going to take a poll first and see which Americans support the war effort - and which ones don't.

If you're an American - you're going to get nuked.

If the "profession" wants Americans in general to stop conflating the medical profession as a whole as being anti gun - then some of those who are pro-gun need to tell the AMA to go **** itself - loudly and in public.

I'll accept that criticism - there are indeed many in the medical and health professions that are avid shooters and supporters of the RKBA. They are a relatively silent minority from the professional perspective, as they risk ostracism for speaking out in professional context. While most of us would be similarly ostracized, if not fired, if we spoke loudly from a soapbox at work about guns and RKBA, we might not work in professions that are publically anti-gun (the medical profession, some government jobs, some teaching jobs, etc.).
Does all this apply to the law enforcement profession as well?

I'm currently taking on an author on Forbes who is an MD speaking "as a physician" on guns as though gun-mediated injuries and deaths give her some superior position from which to speak. All she asks is that we stop having guns that fire lots of bullets quickly, keep accurate databases of mentally ill people and what people own what guns where, and fund research on gun violence without NRA interference in the public funding process. (banning semi-automatic firearms, register guns and gun owners and give money to anti-gun people to resume publishing junk science at taxpayer cost).
I should have known dribble was to follow when I clicked on your link and was immediately greeted by a 1934 NRA logo for the...wait for it...New Deal "National Recovery Administration". [rolleyes]

Good job not allowing her to continue on unchallenged.

Silencing the Silence on Gun Research

There's some of those select MDs now... Kellerman still espousing the same BS that having a gun in the home increases the odds of homicide. This was debunked so many time over so many years, but the media still quote the study religiously.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom