• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The question that has plagued mankind since time began.

A LOT of soldiers have hit A LOT of enemy soldiers over the years using nothing but factory parts and irons.

"Shoot that gun well" is subjective. But if you think that tendency is bad here, OP, stay away from guitar boards. People buy $1,000 US Strats and order $300 worth of replacement tuners and pickups the same day. It's crazy.

I've had no problem with Factory triggers, for the most part. Two exceptions: TGI Hungarian AMD65 with no takeup, and about a half pound trigger pull, and much more recently, a Rock Island .380 Baby Rock, with what seems like a 10 pound pull. Had other problems with it, out of the box, mag would drop every time I fired, so I sent it back on warrantee, figuring they would correct the problem, and mentioned the horrendous trigger, and the sent me a NEW one, and said that they bumped the pull up from 6# to 9# because it was a pocket pistol!

My SIG SP2022 has a great trigger right out of the box. I was told that there was an aftermarket trigger made for it that would make it even better. I bought, installed it, removed it and returned it. Nope, the stock trigger was way better though it has a fairly long take up which took getting used to. It's probably a matter of taste. I also love the trigger in my CZ75-PCR, right out of the box. Clean break and reset is awesome.

The stock trigger in my series 80 1911 is pretty nice too but it didn't start out that way. It took several thousands of rounds to break it in.

Not if it's an M&P with a 10lb trigger.

Good luck taking a class after 1000 rounds.

Get a Glock and never look back.

A pistol with the factory trigger and trigger parts still in it, is it possible to shoot that gun well, or is it necessary to immediately order a bag of springs and stuff?
@FPrice is spot on. For example with my Glocks I always end up buying trigger parts and connectors but I also have a couple of CZ p10's and there's no way in hell I'm ever changing the trigger because it's basically perfect to me out of the box.... I like my striker-fired triggers to be right around 4 to 5 lb.... the P10 comes that way out of the box....

Its true for everything except a 1911, which by definition has a perfect trigger pull by design. And I cannot for the life of me understand
why factory Ruger Mark IV triggers suck so very badly.

Bingo. My mantra is: Learn to shoot with the aim of being able to shoot ANY gun well.

If/when that day ever comes, it may not be your favorite customized handgun in your hands.

Totally agree. I try and shake it up when shooting and switch guns. Safety, no safety, can use the slide lock, can’t use it. Knowing how to manipulate (under pressure) several guns is a good idea.

ETA: (under pressure)

Not necessarily - all of my pistols and shotguns have the stock trigger, but a couple rifles have upgraded triggers. Between pistols there may be a brief lapse in remembering the characteristics or nuances of each trigger, but nothing so radical that it doesn’t come back to me within two or three shots.

I am intimately familiar with the three or so pistols that I rotate carrying, so no issues there. The shotguns have countless rounds through them over the years, so I‘m quite comfortable with those too.

The rifles that have upgraded triggers were my own builds anyway, so they were a blank slate to begin with. I had/have other similar rifles with stock triggers so I at least had a baseline when I built those.

Its true for everything except a 1911, which by definition has a perfect trigger pull by design. And I cannot for the life of me understand
why factory Ruger Mark IV triggers suck so very badly.

So why do people flock to the "designer" 1911's, and the S&W and Ruger and Sig ones, and talk down about "mil-spec" ones such as RIA or Auto-Ordnance?

That said, my Ruger MkII works just fine with the stock trigger.

Its true for everything except a 1911, which by definition has a perfect trigger pull by design.

There are a lot of shitty 1911 triggers out there, sometimes the sears are rough and poorly made, thankfully there are a lot of people around that can fix that either by replacing the sear or just giving it an action tune.

Back
Top Bottom