• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The question that has plagued mankind since time began.

So why do people flock to the "designer" 1911's, and the S&W and Ruger and Sig ones, and talk down about "mil-spec" ones such as RIA or Auto-Ordnance?

Because, for starters, the sights on GI replica 1911s are usually garbage. I think at least one company (RIA)? Sells a USGI type gun that has less retarded sights in it, though. USGI sights are the worst sights on the planet. Do they work? Sure... but they're pretty vague and hard to see well. That and that f***ing arched MSH. That thing is awful unless you have gorilla hands.

A LOT of soldiers have hit A LOT of enemy soldiers over the years using nothing but factory parts and irons.

"Shoot that gun well" is subjective. But if you think that tendency is bad here, OP, stay away from guitar boards. People buy $1,000 US Strats and order $300 worth of replacement tuners and pickups the same day. It's crazy.
Every single one of my WWII surplus Mausers has a nicer trigger than any new handgun you can get in MA. (I don't have any WWII handguns).

OP, the springs needed usually cost less than $20 and take 5min to replace. Totally worth it.

Every single one of my WWII surplus Mausers has a nicer trigger than any new handgun you can get in MA. (I don't have any WWII handguns).

OP, the springs needed usually cost less than $20 and take 5min to replace. Totally worth it.

Lol there aren't even that many guns with "intentionally f***ed up for MA" triggers left. Smith is probably the only one doing it (and only in the Menstruation and Pee guns) the only other one that comes to mind is the ill fated Mass Compliant Sig P250... I dry fired one of those the other day and I was like "HOW ABOUT NO". That thing was... shitty mc shit land. Must be a 15 lb DAO pull. [rofl]

So after letting my thoughts congeal on this from latest range session here is where I am with this....
I have 2 guns that are somewhat similar
Both have red dots
The one with the full on Gray Guns kit in it you put the dot on the target, boom shots away, no muss no fuss, good hit.
The one with the stock trigger, and it doesn't totally suck by the way, you put the dot on the target and then you have to really concentrate on holding it there while you fire the gun.

By the way...one of the things that is becoming more apparent to me with the dots is the ease which you call your shots, and track the sights around whilst jerking the shit out of the trigger.

i managed just fine with stock glock triggers for 25+ years. but i also changed out all my triggers, trigger bars and springs last year on all of 'em except my home defense pistol. even on my old gen 2 g19 i bought new in '92?? and shot very well with it. why? i don't know...cause i could maybe.

There are a lot of shitty 1911 triggers out there....
thats a fact. a lot of 1911's are what i'd call "gritty". oddly, of the dozen 1911's i currently own, the best trigger out of the box is my lowest cost one, a smith e series full size. if smith did it this one time with my pistol, on a skinflinter yet, why is it not the norm rather than the exception.

A pistol with the factory trigger and trigger parts still in it, is it possible to shoot that gun well, or is it necessary to immediately order a bag of springs and stuff?
Older S&W revolvers have factory triggers that are close to perfect. I have a CZ rifle which came with a 4.5 lb trigger with almost zero creep and over travel. Probably the nicest factory trigger I've ever tried. I couldn't say if all CZs come this way, but mine did.

Older S&W revolvers have factory triggers that are close to perfect. I have a CZ rifle which came with a 4.5 lb trigger with almost zero creep and over travel. Probably the nicest factory trigger I've ever tried. I couldn't say if all CZs come this way, but mine did.

A lot of CZ rifles also have a set trigger, you push the trigger forward until it clicks, breaks at like 2 lb or so, or so it seems!

Older S&W revolvers have factory triggers that are close to perfect.

You can say that again. I was having a big-bore day once at the range, a couple of Webleys and a .455 Colt (all made before 1920) and my new-to-me ratty looking Brazilian contract model 1937. I like Webley SA triggers, and the Colt felt like the old-school Colt that it was, but that Smith trigger put them all to shame.

Yes is the short answer.
I've done some "Clean ups" on a couple of stock triggers but never have gone full out replacement triggers.

Back
Top Bottom