• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The public schools suck thread.

There are good teachers and bad, and I saw way more of the bad when son was going through the school system. I always said if I had another kid to put through the public education system...I WOULD NOT DO IT. I would either find a private school or home school.
As far as teachers keeping their political thoughts to themselves, well I can't tell you how many don't keep it to themselves,and are way to biased.
It hasn't changed much cause I also hear my friends bitch about teachers plenty.
The public school system needs a major overhaul.

This... As a college student this is extremely true. The scariest part of it is the students around me who have been programmed not to question what professors say, and take statements of opinion and register them as facts. All they know how to do is memorize and have no critical thinking skills (a symptom of the Public school system).

It makes it much more difficult when over 70% of your grade is based on writing assignments, essay form tests, and class participation that is graded on a subjective scale determined by the professor who does not appreciate you questioning the ideology that he/she is preaching. But makes it all that much more rewarding when you do get good grades.

I have made it a point to try to take as many classes with associate professors(part time professors) who have other jobs outside of the College. I avoid PHd in Educations professor morons like the plague.

PS: Parents make sure you are reading your kids text books and homework assignments you might be shocked at what is being put in your children's heads.

Disclaimer: I have had great great teachers in my years and by no means am I condemning all teachers I am condemning a system that is based on personal politics and not results. An organization with little or no accountability, incentives nor reprimand breeds mediocrity.

My children sometimes come home with crazy points of view from their text books and classroom lessons, but we have always had discussions about morals and politics since they were little. When asked their point of view about something they always answer the way that they believe, but when handing in an assignment or taking a test they always answer with the information that the teacher or book gave. It would be futile to do otherwise. The important thing is that they are very well read and informed and an indoctrination of liberal points of view won't make a dent.

...When asked their point of view about something they always answer the way that they believe, but when handing in an assignment or taking a test they always answer with the information that the teacher or book gave. It would be futile to do otherwise. The important thing is that they are very well read and informed and an indoctrination of liberal points of view won't make a dent.

Excellent. You're a true American.

My children sometimes come home with crazy points of view from their text books and classroom lessons, but we have always had discussions about morals and politics since they were little. When asked their point of view about something they always answer the way that they believe, but when handing in an assignment or taking a test they always answer with the information that the teacher or book gave. It would be futile to do otherwise. The important thing is that they are very well read and informed and an indoctrination of liberal points of view won't make a dent.

Just because I'd like to be informed how badly some of my peers are behaving, could you please provide some examples?

Just because I'd like to be informed how badly some of my peers are behaving, could you please provide some examples?

Class assignment last year was to write a letter to President Obama and tell him how good of a job he was doing and to present a question or idea for him for his presidency. The teacher was not thrilled about the pro 2a stance my son took

I took a class on "leadership and diversity" my junior year of high school. I was openly told that my life was "invalid" because I spent a large part of it outside the United States, and therefore any views I had on race were irrelevant. We were also told time and time again that whites ought to feel guilty for the vast majority of problems that blacks see today, reparations ought to be given to the ancestors of those enslaved, etc. There are countless such horror stories from my time at Newton North.

Class assignment last year was to write a letter to President Obama and tell him how good of a job he was doing and to present a question or idea for him for his presidency. The teacher was not thrilled about the pro 2a stance my son took

[puke]

That reminds me... in 5th grade we had to write President Clinton about, well, anything, but one of the suggested topics was crime. I don't think the teacher gave any prompting about the subject matter after that. I bring it up because I think that was in 1994... coincidence?

Last edited:
Thank you so far for the examples, and keep them coming. The difference between my experience as an educator, and those from these teachers, is that I will bring these examples up with my fellow department members and we'll complain together. Even my department's resident lib would mock these.

Newton, Lexington, and other communities physically, philosohically, and economically far from the 'burbs are looked on by most every teacher I know as to be so far out on the ledge as to give the rest of us a bad name.

My own example: ten years ago I had the chance to visit China but had to take a week-long course over the summer in preparation. The lectures by the Chinese professors were excellent and informative, but the Western instructors were less than objective. One lesson I felt imparted a clear and simple concept involved the class standing and reciting songs and slogans extolling the virtues of Mao, followed by a discussion on how this brainwashing negatively affected the Chinese people. After the lesson, two Chinese educators were brought to tears they were so upset their "great father's memory" was being soiled. Instead of ANYBODY besides me speaking up to point out the obvious truth of the lesson, the rest of the group (led by Lexington teachers) were about ready to lynch the "insensitive" BU prof who made the lesson.

Back
Top Bottom