The proposed Executive Orders

mikeyp

NES Member
The second Joe Biden suggested that the White House might enact "executive actions, executive orders" on guns, the gun lobby smashed the glass and hit the alarm. The Drudge Report illustrated Biden's quote with portraits of Joseph Stalin and Adolf Hitler, who (among arguably worse things) restricted gun rights. There were surprisingly few questions from Republicans about what the executive orders might actually be.

Here's the list, via the White House. (I did not engage in complication reporter-fu to get this. It's the general fact sheet.)

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.​
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.​
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.​
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.​
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.​
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.​
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.​
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).​
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.​
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.​
11. Nominate an ATF director.​
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.​
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.​
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.​
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.​
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.​
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.​
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.​
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.​
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.​
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.​
And these are the legislative ideas -- i.e., the ones the president wants to push through Congress, starting with the more pliable Senate.

Require criminal background checks for all gun sales. (a.k.a. closing the "gun show loophole.")

Reinstate and strengthen the assault weapons ban.

Restore the 10-round limit on ammunition magazines.

Protect police by finishing the job of getting rid of armor-piercing bullets.

Give law enforcement additional tools to prevent and prosecute gun crime.

End the freeze on gun violence research.

Make our schools safer with more school resource officers and school counselors, safer climates, and better emergency response plans.

Help ensure that young people get the mental health treatment they need.

Ensure health insurance plans cover mental health benefits

Time will tell how judicious these EO's are construed by the executive branch.

This one:

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

is gonna get someone who has their gun stolen charged with a crime.

Last edited:
makes me sick.
Join the club, but he appears to have been VERY careful with this EO - many of the headline things like "banning FTF" are not actually enacted, rather it appears (per my comment from the other thread) that he wants ATF/FBI to allow FFL's to violate the current terms of service for NICS which preclude sharing the result of a NICS check with anyone other than the buyer to facilitate FTF sales.

He at least seems to understand he would not be permitted to blatantly legislate from his office. There is some less blatant legislation which is now subject to review and defunding by Congress of course, but...

- - - Updated - - -

I am gratified (probably too strong of a word) that he did not unilaterally try and impose an AWB by way of EO. At least someone in his administration must have said that would be cause for war/impeachment.
Yes, he generally seems to have been more wary than usual of legislating via EO. There are still some expenditures which were not authorized by Congress, but far from declaring bans on either FTF sales, Magazines or rifles outright.

I am gratified (probably too strong of a word) that he did not unilaterally try and impose an AWB by way of EO. At least someone in his administration must have said that would be cause for war/impeachment.

At this point does it really matter?

He is so fcking far beyond the point of treason it isn't even funny.

He hates this country, hates the Constitution, hates the notion of speration of powers and pisses on the very notion of the rule of law.

He's a traitor, a domestic enemy of the state, and should be charged for high crimes and punished by death.

if i'm waiting to pay off my ar-15 at the gun store did i just loose it? and if not when do these orders take effect?

How many read #'s 7, 12, 13, & 19 and thought, well, DUH!!! Hmmm... teach gun safety? teach how to respond to emergency situations? prosecute gun crimes?

At this point does it really matter?

He is so fcking far beyond the point of treason it isn't even funny.

He hates this country, hates the Constitution, hates the notion of speration of powers and pisses on the very notion of the rule of law.

He's a traitor, a domestic enemy of the state, and should be charged for high crimes and punished by death.

The timing matters. If he had done that today, then SHTF would be imminent. I don't have enough M80 ball yet.

It was executive actions, not orders. I really think the SCOTUS needs to step in, seriously wtf. But I am not scared too much, #8 is scary a little bit, but MA has the craziest laws with storage.

#7 oughta be good "Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign."
Can't wait for a government gun [STRIKE=propaganda]propaganda[/STRIKE] safety program.

Hopefully since he said the magic "10 round limit" number, MA won't get even worse with a push for 7 round limits. Hopefully...

I am getting sick to my stomach reading how several million law abiding gun owners are soon to be several million criminals. Just by exercising one of our Constitutional rights.

The only training they'll provide for teachers is to teach them how to cower and beg for their lives. This president is not going to provide firearms training to them.

Back
Top Bottom