The Problem With Smart Guns

Smart guns will mean .gov requires a kill switch that they control.

Right on the nose.
You don't really think that the people responsible for turning murders and rapists loose on the street daily, have our safety and welfare as a primary concern?

New Jersey has a law that was passed in 2002 that mandates that once a "smart" gun is sold anywhere in the US, New Jersey gun owners have 3 years to swap out their traditional firearms for "smart" guns.

I saw it on the news last night.

I would also add that this younger generation of criminals are more tech savvy then the people making the laws, I'm sure a teenager will learn how to hack the gun before it even hits store shelves

Probably have an app for it on his phone

Wouldn't be surprised in the least... Of course, the makers would also need to have a way to send out patches as that happens, which means some way to connect the gun up to a computer. Which opens up even more security holes.

IMO, until the guns are using electricity as part of what's being shot, "smart-guns" are a really stupid idea.

How about we get the working tech the way we have with a LOT of things... Let the military use it, get it perfected, deploy it to troops for 10+ years, THEN open it up to the civilian market... Have LEO's use it for at least a few years before civilians get them too. IF the tech isn't shit canned along the way then it just MIGHT be worth looking at. Then again, I'd rather have a purely mechanical firearm.

The old F-150 I had wouldn't start if I forgot to remove the 6 keys that were attached to the other end of the security chipped key on the keychain. I don't think I want to worry about a watch, ring, bracelet, near by plumbing, or a car preventing me from defending myself.

"simple guns" are better than "smart guns"

New Jersey has a law that was passed in 2002 that mandates that once a "smart" gun is sold anywhere in the US, New Jersey gun owners have 3 years to swap out their traditional firearms for "smart" guns.
Not swap out, the "Childproof Handgun Bill" only makes it illegal for retail dealers to sell or transfer any handgun that isn't "smart" enough for New Jersey. I believe private sales are registered but don't have to pass through a dealer, so people can still privately buy and sell existing "simple guns"?

C.2C:58-2.5 said:
Sale of personalized handguns, inapplicability.

4. a. On and after the first day of the sixth month following the preparation and delivery of the list of personalized handguns which may be sold in the State pursuant to section 3 of P.L.2002, c.130 (C.2C:58-2.4), no person registered or licensed by the superintendent as a manufacturer, wholesale dealer of firearms, retail dealer of firearms or agent or employee of a wholesale or retail dealer of firearms pursuant to the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-1 or N.J.S.2C:58-2 shall transport into this State, sell, expose for sale, possess with the intent of selling, assign or otherwise transfer any handgun unless it is a personalized handgun or an antique handgun.

b. The provisions of this section shall not apply to handguns to be sold, transferred, assigned and delivered for official use to: (1) State and local law enforcement officers of this State; (2) federal law enforcement officers and any other federal officers and employees required to carry firearms in the performance of their official duties and (3) members of the Armed Forces of the United States or of the National Guard.

c. The provisions of this section also shall not apply to handguns to be sold, transferred, assigned and delivered solely for use in competitive shooting matches sanctioned by the Civilian Marksmanship Program, the International Olympic Committee or USA Shooting. The Attorney General may promulgate rules and regulations governing the scope and application of the exemption afforded under this section. The Attorney General, by rule and regulation, may require, at a minimum, that a person acquiring a handgun pursuant to this section submit valid proof of participation in these sanctioned shooting matches.
New Jersey Senate Majority Leader Loretta Weinberg (D-Teaneck) was one of the original backers of S 573 (formerly S 890) in 2002, and is currently offering the current devil's bargain to the NRA...

So...if the only "smart gun" is a handgun, will all NJ duck hunters have to "swap out" their 12 and 20-gauge shotguns for "smart" handguns? Makes no sense, since handguns are much more heavily controlled in anti-gun states (like NJ), as opposed to traditional rifles and shotguns.

And yet they had no problem banning .22 rifle rounds and mags over 10 this week. That kind of tells the story of what they are really going for!
So long HENRY's!

I don't have a problem with smart guns.

I don't have a problem with manufacturers of smart guns.

I don't have a problem with FFL's that want to sell smart guns.

I don't have a problem with people who choose to buy smart guns.

What I have a problem with is clueless politicians telling me that if I want a new gun it needs to be a smart gun to comply with proposed moonbat laws suggested by moonbat AG candidates.

What I have a problem with is the constant bombardment of attacks on my second amendment rights which has been proven time and time again to NOT reduce crime.

What I have a problem with is politicians and the media finger-pointing at legal law abiding citizens as the problem to crime and murder.

What I have a problem with is their lack of acknowledgement that criminals commit crimes.

What I have a problem with is their fear of criminals and their obvious cowardice.

What I have a problem with is their PC agenda to keep,based on race, career criminals out of prison and their ability to let career criminals out of prison to re-offend all for the mighty vote.

But what I really have a problem with is the idiot residents of this stupid commonwealth that keep voting these useless POS pols back into office without any consideration of accountability of their actions while in office. I swear people in this state get dumber by the day.

I don't have a problem with smart guns.

I don't have a problem with manufacturers of smart guns.

I don't have a problem with FFL's that want to sell smart guns.

I don't have a problem with people who choose to buy smart guns.

What I have a problem with is clueless politicians telling me that if I want a new gun it needs to be a smart gun to comply with proposed moonbat laws suggested by moonbat AG candidates.

What I have a problem with is the constant bombardment of attacks on my second amendment rights which has been proven time and time again to NOT reduce crime.

What I have a problem with is politicians and the media finger-pointing at legal law abiding citizens as the problem to crime and murder.

What I have a problem with is their lack of acknowledgement that criminals commit crimes.

What I have a problem with is their fear of criminals and their obvious cowardice.

What I have a problem with is their PC agenda to keep,based on race, career criminals out of prison and their ability to let career criminals out of prison to re-offend all for the mighty vote.

But what I really have a problem with is the idiot residents of this stupid commonwealth that keep voting these useless POS pols back into office without any consideration of accountability of their actions while in office. I swear people in this state get dumber by the day.
I think this has all been pretty much covered in every "smart" gun thread. No one fears the tech, but none of us wants to be forced to use it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure others have mentioned it but the military isn't going to use this cause an EMP would render all their guns useless.
Should not be a problem for police since they only _think_ they are in the military.

I think this has all been pretty much covered in every "smart" gun thread. No one fears the tech, but none of us wants to be forced to use it.

- - - Updated - - -

Should not be a problem for police since they only _think_ they are in the military.

I know. I kind of went off a bit. I apologize. [smile]

If I was the AG and wanted to get smart guns adopted I would have a very clear plan.

1) Ask Glock to create a variant of each gun they make with a finger print lock embedded. (or whatever BS I as an AG think makes it a smart gun)

2) Give said 1 Glock to each MA resident who can present a valid LTC.

3) Request a testimonial 1 yr. later from each person who accepted a Glock.

4) Anyone who complains "Well you said you wanted a glock and I gave you one, why are looking a gift horse in the mouth?"

5) Take a nap.

Please note 2 relevant parts.
a) At no point was I taking guns away or restricting what people could buy.
b) Free Guns!

What I have a problem with is every politician thinking they are solving your non existent problems,

It also seems they believe that all criminals were law abiding citizens at one point turned criminal, so in there minds anyone is potentially a criminal, except them of course, and they plan there laws accordingly

But what pisses me off the most is haveing a politician making laws that will make law abiding citizens criminals for no reason, or laws no one can truly interprit, so some poor fool getsbaged for a technicality

Last edited:
My main problem with smart guns is that most of them are based on RFID, and RF (radio frequency) is easy to jam with a million and 1 jammers on the market. Some of the jammers are pretty small to.

Is that a smart gun jammer in your pocket? hope you didn't want to have kids!

My main problem with smart guns is that most of them are based on RFID, and RF (radio frequency) is easy to jam with a million and 1 jammers on the market. Some of the jammers are pretty small to.
While there are a lot of RF jammers on the market, it's actually quite difficult to randomly jam active RFID when the transmitter and receiver are within inches of each other. GPS and Cell phone jammers only work because the interfering transmitter is so much closer to the receiver than the authentic transmitter.

More likely issue is that production models have a backdoor 'remote kill switch' and the details leak to Anonymous.

I say let whoever wants to sell them or buy them go for it. Just leave my choices alone. In Mass it will be a smart gun locked in a smart safe along with a c dumb childproof lock seperate from the smart ammo. Perp kicks in your door and now guess who the dumbass is....

Sent from the blind

I don't think there is a smart gun that will ever be made that I could not disable and make a manual gun out of in less than 30 mins. So that is a self defeating solution to a nonexistent problem.

I believe the gov has a kill switch right now, for all these so called smart guns.
Actually, I don't think the government is stupid enough to do this.

Just assume they did implement a "kill switch" in the ARMATIX iP1, yet this "feature" is not disclosed to the buyer. Unless they're doing something insanely clever, I can assure you that there are some very smart reverse engineers out there who will buy an iP1, tear it down, and if they discover anything that even smells like a government "kill switch", will crow about it from the rooftops. Guys like TAMPER labs use tunneling electron microscopes and differential power analysis to break black box security all day long, ARMATIX would be a fun afternoon's work for them, if that.

The discovery of a secret kill switch would kill any chance of smart guns ever getting market share outside of New Jersey.

Just assume they did implement a "kill switch" in the ARMATIX iP1, yet this "feature" is not disclosed to the buyer. Unless they're doing something insanely clever, I can assure you that there are some very smart reverse engineers out there who will buy an iP1, tear it down, and if they discover anything that even smells like a government "kill switch", will crow about it from the rooftops. Guys like TAMPER labs use tunneling electron microscopes and differential power analysis to break black box security all day long, ARMATIX would be a fun afternoon's work for them, if that.

The discovery of a secret kill switch would kill any chance of smart guns ever getting market share outside of New Jersey.

Yep, things like this never work well when the people investigating the implementation are smarter/more savvy than the people trying to make the technology.

I'm pretty sure the manufacturer already admitted the kill switch was part of the technology or at least doable.
Wish I could find the article.
Can anyone think of any other reason this is being pushed so hard by anti gunners?
The same people who get wood hoping for another school shooting to finish us off?
They want us disarmed, not safer.
Now it could be done at the push of a button.
Kind of like King O's internet " kill switch".

I'm pretty sure the manufacturer already admitted the kill switch was part of the technology or at least doable.
Wish I could find the article.

BREAKING: Smart Gun Maker Filed Patent for Remote Kill Switch
By Robert Farago on May 18, 2014

An alert reader emailed TTAG central with news that Armatix GmbH - makers of the iP1 “smart gun” – filed a patent application that included a remote kill switch for the firearm. Click here to view patent EP 1936572 A1, dated 2006. (Not a bug; a feature!) I’m not a patent attorney or an electrical engineer, but as far as I can tell this is the bit (translated from the original German) that indicates remote disabling . . .

Preferably, the inventive device is designed such that the device or the activated identification medium authenticated in response to a signal transmitted from a remote station to the device wake-up and request signal, whereupon the remote station a logical and / or physical access or access to one and allows or prevents a target device . . .

Preferably, the apparatus of the invention can be controlled remotely, for example via satellite and can send information to a satellite.

This would be a good time to point out that TTAG’s been trying to get ahold of a iP1 for some time, so that hi-tech members of our Armed Intelligentsia could develop a jamming device. Thank goodness we didn’t! We could have been sued!

You may recall that New Jersey’s “smart gun” mandate goes into effect the moment a single example is offered for commercial sale anywhere in the United States. Three years later, The Garden State would ban the sale of non-”smart guns.”

Gun rights advocates fear that it’s a short step from a ban on the sale of “dumb guns” to a ban on their ownership. At that point, New Jersey gun owners would be at the mercy of criminals or government agents - who could possess “dumb guns” and “smart gun” jammers, such as the one described in the patent application.

If the New Jersey mandate spread to other states or went federal, well, that wouldn’t be good. For anyone. Save the aforementioned German gunmaker, criminals and tyrants.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...rt-gun-maker-files-patent-remote-kill-switch/

Last edited:
A smart gun is like a smart hammer. Neither a gun nor a hammer needs any sort of lock or computer. Stupid idea. I'd bet a hundred bucks that they won't be able to make it reliable, at least at a reasonable cost.

everyone is skirting the real issue. What happens when these "smart guns" become self-aware???

BREAKING: Smart Gun Maker Filed Patent for Remote Kill Switch
By Robert Farago on May 18, 2014

An alert reader emailed TTAG central with news that Armatix GmbH - makers of the iP1 “smart gun” – filed a patent application that included a remote kill switch for the firearm. Click here to view patent EP 1936572 A1, dated 2006. (Not a bug; a feature!) I’m not a patent attorney or an electrical engineer, but as far as I can tell this is the bit (translated from the original German) that indicates remote disabling . . .

Preferably, the inventive device is designed such that the device or the activated identification medium authenticated in response to a signal transmitted from a remote station to the device wake-up and request signal, whereupon the remote station a logical and / or physical access or access to one and allows or prevents a target device . . .

Preferably, the apparatus of the invention can be controlled remotely, for example via satellite and can send information to a satellite.

This would be a good time to point out that TTAG’s been trying to get ahold of a iP1 for some time, so that hi-tech members of our Armed Intelligentsia could develop a jamming device. Thank goodness we didn’t! We could have been sued!

You may recall that New Jersey’s “smart gun” mandate goes into effect the moment a single example is offered for commercial sale anywhere in the United States. Three years later, The Garden State would ban the sale of non-”smart guns.”

Gun rights advocates fear that it’s a short step from a ban on the sale of “dumb guns” to a ban on their ownership. At that point, New Jersey gun owners would be at the mercy of criminals or government agents - who could possess “dumb guns” and “smart gun” jammers, such as the one described in the patent application.

If the New Jersey mandate spread to other states or went federal, well, that wouldn’t be good. For anyone. Save the aforementioned German gunmaker, criminals and tyrants.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...rt-gun-maker-files-patent-remote-kill-switch/

That's the one.
Thanks for posting it.

Back
Top Bottom