1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

The President Trump Megathread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by IvIax, Jun 16, 2015.

1. jpk

jpk

I wish that were only true though......

Manufacturing of various things has consolidated into fewer and fewer providers which results in all of us being held hostage in a way.

The one that concerns me most is phamaceuticals........we get a very large amount of drugs from china and we all know the QC is frequently not good.....and federal law doesnt require labeling of country of origin which imho is simply retarded......its a concession to big business.

xjma99 and Varmint like this.

2. jpk

jpk

I expect things to get more expensive but the chinese imho f***ed up and over extended their hand........uncharacteristically chinese.......

Typical chinese strategy is to not enguage in conflict until all of the pieces on the board have been played and no matter what the opponent does it will result in fail because its already "Check Mate" if you will

Chinese effed themselves up badly on this one by pushing things this far.......I think they believe that they have too many powerful people/families in congress in their pocket.......

China cant feed itself.....not that it really cares if a million or so starve to death but it will nonetheless be a huge loss of face.

I suspect they believe they can weather the next 6+ years of trump OR maybe influence the next election sufficiently that trump is defeated in 2020......I wouldnt count on that but

Choctaw, 10thSFFD and Waher like this.
  3. mibro

mibro NES Member

Yes, at this point we have a real cliff-hanger.

May you live in interesting times.

Choctaw likes this.
  4. jpk

jpk

Isnt that a chinese curse?

5. mibro

mibro NES Member

Yes, but not directed at you. I just thought it was appropriate for current events.

jpk likes this.
  6. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Forum Curmudgeon NES Member

I wonder if this will affect the price of PC Boards I buy from China?

I would like to buy from an American company, but let's face it....this is business.

I have a 6 layer board that would cost me $200-280 in the states, and I only pay $36 from China......that is one hell of a difference!

(Oh, and the low end price in America is just some company that orders it from China anyway.....)

Flame me if you want, but it is what it is.

7. Waher

Waher NES Member

8. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

9. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Are you implying we're gonna do a food embargo on China? Cause Trump is putting tariffs on imports, not restricting food exports.

China may think they can wait on a 20% US stock market correction and Trump will give in. He won't have to though, since the Fed has already bowed down to Trump and will step in to prevent stock market corrections.

10. Waher

Waher NES Member

China is threatening tariffs on US food imports and or to not buy US foodstuffs. China has failed to do anything to get their agricultural sector resembling anything uniformly modern and they are still dependent on importing sufficient food so that the country doesn't starve. A lot of China is mountains and deserts and they have far less acreage per capita of arable farmland that most industrialized countries. If food runs out or the prices go up while Chinese factory workers are out of their wages from a lack of exports, there will be massive unrest.

This is why China has been trying to stockpile staple crops the past few months and ramping up social credit schemes. If there's a prolonged trade war they are going to have real problems because of food supply/prices and factory workers being out of work.

11. Bfatz

Bfatz

12. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

China put some tariffs on US agriculture to try to hurt the farm vote, they're certainly not going to harm themselves. The Chinese government has even been buying Soy and selling it - circumventing their own tariffs.

13. Bfatz

Bfatz

14. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

My gut says China will roll over for a belly rub.

15. exodious

exodious

They need a way to offer something to compromise while maintaining face. It’s all about appearances.

Choctaw and Jason Flare like this.
  16. mibro

mibro NES Member

HTS code 8534.00.0020 Printed circuits Plastics impregnated, not flexible type: Having a base wholly of impregnated glass: With 3 or more layers of conducting materials

Subject to the 25% tariff.

17. Bfatz

Bfatz

18. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

All drugs should be free and Biden's son was a pioneer who was punished by the imperialistic military. ;)
    Handling personal issues is in! Acknowledging vices is in! Show your liberal voters that you are just like them and they will vote for you!

View: https://youtu.be/VLcVVq1QDto

Bfatz likes this.
  19. jpk

jpk

If China wants to play hard ball then why wouldnt we consider a selective embargo on products that would cause them the most pain

And use some of the tarrif money to compensate the US producers that lose sales.......and then donate that food to a starving country with big "Made In USA" signs on it

20. Jason Flare

Jason Flare NES Member

He said, “Everyone deserves a second chance.”

I’m thinking a second term for Donald Trump.

BUMPA01603, Waher, jpk and 1 other person like this.
  21. mibro

mibro NES Member

22. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

This seems familiar. Oh ya.

[​IMG]

23. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

An embargo won't work unless other countries join in, which they won't. They can get food elsewhere - they've been buying Soy from Brazil.

Think Trump announced the 2nd part already.

24. jpk

jpk

I believe you're assuming that there are other countries that have excess capacity to supply millions of people in china AND could do so at a price that is competitive.....I dont think thats the case

10thSFFD likes this.
  25. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

I go with your assumption. Even Russians are now smuggling potatoes from Turkey. ;)
    China is taking over Africa but that project may not be working for them as they have designed it.
    America Is Blessed With Many Things and we should not allow da hauz to destroy our country!

F commies in China! Never forget it, China is a hard core communist system which was allowed to play in the capitalist world where they cheated and have stolen more than you can imagine! We did not care for decades. Time to care is now!

djbradles, ASHDUMP and mibro like this.
  26. Waher

Waher NES Member

Africa is going to start charging China more for exported resources. Those countries know they have China over a barrel now that they aren't buying those resources from the US.

27. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

China exports like $30 billion in food a year. So they stop exporting it and eat it if they need to. Half of what they import from the US is non essential - tea, spices, soy for farm animals etc.

28. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Africa is up to its eyeballs in debt to China, I'm not sure how much hardball they can play, or would want to, since the West isn't offering them the infrastructure loans they want.

29. Waher

Waher NES Member

A lot of the food they export is food which was imported as raw material to be processed for sale in other countries.

As far as Africa, you don't think many of those countries are going to take advantage of the situation to get their debts written off?

This is the biggest challenge to their economic strategy of export colonialism every and based on what I understand from natives I work with, the ruling party is arrogantly overreaching and going to create massive unrest.

30. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Just as people shouldn’t underestimate Trump, we shouldn’t underestimate China. I think they know one way to deal with unrest is to rally the country against a perceived Western bully. Chinese are very nationalistic, and will rally together if they feel they’re at war.

Maybe both Trump and China think a recession/depression is coming and each need a scapegoat - each other, lol.

Trump is not like typical Washington politicians who have very one dimensional thinking. Trump thinks many moves ahead, I’m convinced.

Fixxah likes this.