The President of Federal, CCI and Speer is sick of the ammo shortage rumors.

Along with the spike in prices because of everything going on the price of copper is going up.
At one point I read CCI makes 4 million 22lr rounds a day....oh maybe back around 2010-2011?

It's not. And it's incredibly stupid and poor optics on their part. You can easily come out and explain everything without starting off like he did.
Seems a bit odd he did this ? Im not sure what drove him to do so.
A simple , "we are making it as fast as we can , thank you for your support"

it would not shock me one bit though if government subsidies came into play

It's not. And it's incredibly stupid and poor optics on their part. You can easily come out and explain everything without starting off like he did.

I disagree, I think he has every right to basically call people out for being f***ing retards, and there are a lot of them on the customer side in this industry. There was obviously enough
that it motivated him to do it that way.

Is there are a more friendlier, PC way to do it? Sure. But that doesn't quite square with reality.

I disagree, I think he has every right to basically call people out for being f***ing retards, and there are a lot of them on the customer side in this industry. There was obviously enough
that it motivated him to do it that way.

Is there are a more friendlier, PC way to do it? Sure. But that doesn't quite square with reality.
IDK I feel like when he walked through the factory explaining they are producing more than ever before it paints a complete picture.

Stupid people are stupid, hard to fix that.

so lack of stock everywhere and no deliveries from suppliers is a stupid customers fault?

It's stupid for them to not understand why, and to harass manufacturers and industry people about it. It's not a brain surgery kind of thing we're talking about here. Anyone who doesn't know why theres an ammo shortage (at this point) has basically been living under a rock for 9 months.

I'm with him on the number of people buying new stuff.

20 million plus new guns sold this year. At least 7 million of which were to new gun owners.

So if each person only bought 50 rounds, that's 1 BILLION rounds.

I can tell you I personally bought cases of ammo in Jan/Feb when I saw the rona coming down the pipe.

That said, bitching about your customers demanding more product is a stupid f***ing move and he came off like a whiny bitch.

Yeah Hornady did it better but I can imagine the frustration recieving calls all day from Fudds who are pissed they can’t go to their gun store and pick up their 1 pack of 30-30 every Sunday for range day.....

edit... not suppose to be a knock on the dirty firty. Love my Ted Williams model.

Meh. What we're seeing now has happened before. I would say the real issue is these companies don't seem to have contingency plans to deal with something that happens literally every 5-10 years. Coupled with most gun owners being giant skinflints on stocking ammo.

but I can imagine the frustration recieving calls all day from Fudds

With so many new shooters, these factories will be going on a 24-hr cycle forever. I think it's time to start building new factories...

By the way, did anyone else notice Hornady's subtle dig at Federal's "spare" factory? Nice, clean dig. Well done Hornady!

Meh. What we're seeing now has happened before. I would say the real issue is these companies don't seem to have contingency plans to deal with something that happens literally every 5-10 years. Coupled with most gun owners being giant skinflints on stocking ammo.

This is far worse than a 5-10 year event, IMHO. Also, it's capital intensive to make a contingency plan for something at this scale. Unless the plan involved having an extra billion rounds
of ammo just sitting around in warehouses that they never touched in case of a demand spike. Even that probably wouldn't have been enough.

If this was just something on the scope of another Obamascare the price of ammo would have probably just hopped up a bit and stabilized. This is on another planet. Remember the industry has tooled up big time since Obamascare 1, 2, and Sandy Hook.

During the 09-10 (I think?) ammo shortage I remember that there was literally next to no ammo coming from the distributors. And primers - forget about it.

What was going on at the time was during the shortage the ammo was going to what I guess is preferred vendors. Walmart being one of the heavy hitters. So while they were for sure making it, they were handing it out to their top customers and everyone else got scraps or zero, which created a really weird imbalances in ammunition supply. I remember shops going to walmart (pre limits on boxes) and buying $1,500 in pistol ammo and brining it over to their gun shop and marking it up 15%.

I agree the Hornady video was much better, but the man from federal/CCI dispelled "selling only to specific customers".
Anyone have any stats on how much of that ammo .gov is buying ???

I agree the Hornady video was much better, but the man from federal/CCI dispelled "selling only to specific customers".
Anyone have any stats on how much of that ammo .gov is buying ???

Plenty of business hate their customers. The trick is not to make that obvious, because sooner than later someone with thicker skin is going to come by and tell the customers he hates that he loves them. And said hated customers are going to shift over.

The Speer video was pretty cringe. Why even bother addressing trolls and conspiracy stuff? Is there a single person on Earth who thinks that said trolls/conspiracy people would even care or believe any explanation given to them that's not directly in line with what they want to believe? Addressing these people gives them credibility and feeds the beast. It doesn't sooth them and make it go away.

The 2nd video went about it a lot better. he also brought up more reasonable points, like are you busy making t shirts and shit or ammo? He addressed that. He said that they outsource that and don't make it in house. While it's a dumb gripe and they obviously don't have a print shop, it's a lot better of a point than what the dummy in the 1st video is ranting about.

We have these shortages usually every 5 or so years. How this keeps happening is a mystery to me. I suspect that these plants cut down production in between the huge shortages and then attempt to ramp back up when a new one starts. Probably no good middle ground there, as they don't want to make more than they can sell on average. But acting like the guy in the 1st video? Jesus Christ bro, in 2020 do you know how many f***ing business people would die to be in your shoes and here you are bitching about being bought out? Holy shit.

I would love to know what their profit margins are. Say they make a box of 50 9x19 and the MSRP is $11, how much did it cost to make? What's the manufactures profit after costs/distribution etc?

It will all settle out. Supply will catch up with demand, prices will fall.

These are for profit businesses operating on relatively thin margins. The carrying costs of inventory large enough to not inconvenience average shooters during any imaginable would probably add 10% to the retail price. Bottom feeders in this and other forums would not pay that premium in normal times. The rational decision would be to reduce production, sell that inventory and rebalance to demand. Same math in the cost of adding production capacity (adding a new plant).

If the consumer won’t pay a bit more for 9mm, why on earth would any investor pay more to make sure you are not inconvenienced? If you think you have a better way, feel free to raise the necessary capital and open your own ammunition business.

It will all settle out. Supply will catch up with demand, prices will fall.

These are for profit businesses operating on relatively thin margins. The carrying costs of inventory large enough to not inconvenience average shooters during any imaginable would probably add 10% to the retail price. Bottom feeders in this and other forums would not pay that premium in normal times. The rational decision would be to reduce production, sell that inventory and rebalance to demand. Same math in the cost of adding production capacity (adding a new plant).

If the consumer won’t pay a bit more for 9mm, why on earth would any investor pay more to make sure you are not inconvenienced? If you think you have a better way, feel free to raise the necessary capital and open your own ammunition business.

I have a very small ammunition business in my garage. It consists of two XL650's, one dedicated to 9mm, the other used for .38SPCL, .357Mag and .357Sig depending upon market demand.

Like many other small businesses these days, my primary problem is my supply line. Plenty of powder on hand, good quantity of bullets on hand with more coming in - but primers are scarce.

I only have two "customers", more properly defined as "consumers" - my wife and me. That's my "better way".

Edit: Cut out the first minute or so and it's a much better video.

I'm not seeing it. He said exactly what I would say if I were running the company. Stop believing the idiots on the Internet. Stop making up rumors about a government conspiracy. They could have had a few more employees working in the background for that video though. That was the fail.

I wonder if they will significantly tool up for much more production capacity? By the time they get it all on line with employees trained demand may be dropping? If it could happen fast enough to cash in on current demand then yes. I'm certainly not an expert on managing a manufacturing plant. Any thoughts?

He needs a better marketing department. Here's Hornady's video on the exact same subject. Now, THIS is how you message without insulting your customers.

Some "customers" NEED to be insulted! Just like the whiney bitches on NES crying about "gougers" because they didn't buy ammo when it was cheap!

I see nothing wrong with the first minute.

Looks like another NES thread trying to find something to get mad about.

All the dude said is he is tired of people lying and showing up to his factory. And it was a script, you can see him reading it.

There are billions of rounds of ammo out there.
Sorry, if you waited to buy till even the soby boy libtrards could see the writing on the wall and are now escared!
Open your wallet and you can buy anything you "need" it will just cost you two to three times what it did before the rona factory opened.

Put a want ad here and thousands of people will have that ammo you want sitting in their safe.
Maybe not at the price you want to pay. But hey, you need what they have. At the right price they will sell it to you!

Still want to shoot a thousand rounds at a time. That will cost you dearly. But still doable if you really feel the need.
You should have been buying by the pallet anyhows, so again your own problem.

For those that reload and can't find primers.
Why didn't you buy 50,000 when they were plentiful?

Money talks, and you obviously don't need it that bad if you say you can't afford it now!

The rounds you have in your carry gun are more than likely enough to protect yourself.
Based on your chances of actually using them to protect your life..

Back
Top Bottom