The Powderhorn, Hyannis, MA

IN A POST 10 MONTHS AGO I SHARED A STORY ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE AT THE POWERHORN ....................
From what I hear your bud was trying to string the bow backwards.[laugh]

I was at the Powderhorn yesterday. Bought some Brenneke slugs for deer season, a new mag holder and a couple bore brushes and son #3 picked out a new pocket knife.
I never have any problems in there. They recognize me when I walk in and always have a pleasant hello . Perhaps they know I am not there to kick tires and waste their time. Ive been thinking about joining a club or range on the Cape, due to the lack/non-existence of a range on Nantucket and they were very helpful with their advice and suggestions.
Several customers came in while I was looking around and as far as I could tell they were all treated well.
I asked for a few suggestions about mag. holders and Jerry helped me with a couple models that I wasn't sure would work for me.
He allowed me to take them out of the package, give them a try and even got a M&P mag out of the case so I could make sure they fit and retention was good. I left happy.

Thats my experience, FWIW.

I see these posts all the time. I don't get it. I've been in the store a dozen times -- mostly killing time on the way to the Depot, and never had a problem myself or saw it with anyone else.

Then again, the type of person who posts in ALL-CAPS is probably the type of person who a store owner might find abrasive.

Just a heads up about Powderhorn. Not to friendly of a place. Mindset is on making a buck and not willing to do much more. I live and work in the area been there many times to look and still feel like I wasted my time there. I will continue to go off cape to look and buy... Just my 2 cents

Powder Horn Outfitters

I didn't see any reviews for this place so i thought i would share my thoughts.
I purchased my first gun from them about 7-8 weeks ago. I found the guys there to be very patient and informative with me considering i know very little.
The only negative i would say is they are a bit pricey which i would expect considering there isn't a whole lot of competition around them. Unlike a few other places i have gone to, they did not talk down to me or ignore my questions. They have a pretty good selection of hand guns, riffles and plenty of cleaning supplies and accessories. I hope this is helpful to someone.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I very nearly stopped in there on Friday. I was staying at a hotel in Yarmouth during Thanksgiving, and I rarely get down that way. Unfortunately I got off to a late start and couldn't make it. Next time, though.

I did stop at Sandwich Antiques Center on the way home, and ogled an awesome array of antique firearms. I always wondered what a blunderbuss looked like up close.

I see that Powderhorn's owner got a nod from Mike Yacino in the December Outdoor Message.

This shop has gotten a lot of negative revues. I did business with them once and will never do so again.

I went there Sat. for the first time. The place was busy, but after a couple of minutes I was approached and offered assistance. He was very pleasant and accommodating.

I will not shop there again, however, because the prices are beyond high. I believe in capitalism and they absolutely have the right to charge what they want. More power to them if people are willing to pay those prices. I am not.

I will not shop there again, however, because the prices are beyond high. I believe in capitalism and they absolutely have the right to charge what they want. More power to them if people are willing to pay those prices. I am not.

I had occasion to swing through there a month ago. Prices were way too high, higher than I remember when I used to frequent the place years ago. I guess he is playing the "only game on this side of the bridge" routine.

The Powderhorn

Wow.........some tough words regarding the Powderhorn. FWIW, and perhaps not even .02, I have pretty much nothing but good things to say about it. Saying that, I will say there are a couple guys who work there who are somewhat gruff and not necessarily friendly toward new faces..........not good. There are, however, several people who work there who are very knowledgeable and very helpful. Whereas I haven't had the opportunity to shop at any other gun stores other than M & M's Plimoth Trading Post, I don't have much to compare price-wise.

I limit myself to dealing with a guy name Gerry or Jerry and the owner Mark Cohen. Both are knowledgeable and one thing that as gun owners we should favor is the fact that Mark Cohen works endlessly to push for gun owners' rights to the point where he lobbies some of the state big wigs. His efforts should be greatly appreciated.

Saying that, if anyone should read this, I'd suggest giving them a try if you're in the area and if you live on the Cape in particular, support a local business that may be, in the future, extinct, without our support. Things don't look good in my opinion for the rights of gun ownership and all the Second Amendment stuff.

New Gun Shop on the Cape?

Wishful thinking. How many new gun shops have popped up on the Cape in the last 25 or 50 years? I doubt there is a likelyhood that that statistic will change a whole lot during these times particularly over the course of the next 8 years!

I've not felt welcome here in the past. But to give the devil their due I was in there yesterday and the two guys there were very friendly and helpful. Did a firearms transfer and talked a bit. I still find their prices on new guns way too high however.

The sooner the Powderhorn is extinct, the sooner we can get a decent gun shop on the Cape. Good riddance.
I went into the Powderhorn for the first time this past week and thought it was one of the nicer little gun shops I've seen, and I've seen most of the gun shops in the eastern Masachusetts. I also liked the fishing side of the shop, I wish I lived closer.

jkelly

I'm glad that you had a good expierence.

Go back through this thread and see the number that had the same expierence I did. The more you spend, the worse you will feel when the true colors come out.

It's surprising you found it such a good shop (excluding the personalities). Frequenting the place for years, I rarely saw stuff that I would want to own - never mind pay their price. Most of the guns were mid to lower grades that were not cared for the way I keep my guns. I bought allot of ammo.

Good Luck - Be Careful

Mark is hard at work when it comes to gun owners rights, but that does not excuse his hissy-fits. Mark need to get a grip . If he was always friendly and helpfull, he would triple his business.

To be fair, I have heard about him working hard on gun rights.

Some people, although their intentions may be good, still bring a dark cloud with them.

Without exageration, I have seen a couple of near brawls in that shop. They just pissed the customers off that bad. Not just Marc either. I saw the older guy demo a high power flash light by shining it in a customers eyes. Another time a spanish guy was denied info about a bb gun because he didn't have a FID card. I've seen Custmers pushed out of the way and yelled at. Now he's got video cameras in there. Maybe they drink in there after hours and laugh at videos showing who pulled the biggest customer abuse of the day.

Where there's smoke, there's fire. I've got a safe full of really awesome guns. When I go to Four Seasons Carl always makes it a point to say hello and shake my hand. M&M in Plymouth, I get treated VERY WELL. Why would I want to put up wit that Bull and be treated like crap by a bunch of wakos like those in Hyannis?

I have always been treated well by them and yes their prices are high but so are the prices of everything else on the Cape.

I've only had good experiences here. The prices can be a little high, but I suppose I'm used to paying a little more for everything after growing up on Cape Cod. Everyone who works there has always been really helpful from the day I took the course there until my most recent trip there.

I'm taking their firearms safety course in a couple weeks there..they all seem like good guys, I'm also interested in joining BRGC, since I live a minute away.

I will be completely honest. I rarely will ever go to give Powderhorn my money. Mark is usually not the nicest. Makes you feel very stupid. I live about 7 miles from them, and will travel off Cape just to buy ammo.

D-

Just my .02

Last edited:
I tried to buy a Smith 1911PD from them last year but their price was just about $150 more than another Mass dealer. Politely asked if they wanted to work with me on the price so they could get the CASH sale. They said go buy it at the other shop. Have not been back since.

I've been going there for two years, ordered my Sig there and bought my Ruger there, and have never had a bad experience - or seen any at the Powderhorn. The staff has always been friendly when I was there, and Marc was always helpful when I asked questions (apparently I didn't ask any stupid questions, being a newbie to shooting). Based on my experiences there, I would recommend them, and I will still go there.

I live close to the Powderhorn and I have been in a few times. I would say that it appears like Marc has a bipolar disorder (in my own un-informed opinion). I went in once the day after I got my LTC and was treated great (shied away from purchasing after checking all of the prices..). Went back in a week later to get accessories and ammo and got the "let's abuse the customer" treatment. I looked him in the eye as put back $175.00 in ammo back on the shelf, left the rest of my cleaning supplies on the counter and walked out.
I now plan on road trips to restock and make new purchases. Too bad, his location was very convenient.

Interesting posts. Some of the negative ones sound almost too far out to be believable, but note the use of the word "almost." I am a regular customer there, and, while I don't buy new guns very often, I have gotten some VERY good deals on used ones. And Mark stands behind the guns he sells, new or used.

Anyone who knows Mark knows that he occasionally has a wild hair wherever. He also usually does not suffer fools or BS artists gladly, or even at all, or even people he mistakenly thinks are one of those. And once he gets an attitude, it ain't gonna change right away. Nevertheless, most people get along with him just fine, and vice versa.

Mark does not hand over a gun to anyone without seeing an FID or a permit. I wouldn't particularly expect him to. Mark is, overall, the most knowledgeable person in the store, and he sets prices on used and consignment guns. Jerry and Dave (the fortyish one) are very knowledgeable, and Jack is very helpful, too. The older Dave (seventies?) pointed a rifle at me once. I won't be around for that again, but I think he works only on Mondays and Tuesdays. I manage not to be there then.

Mark teaches the juniors at Bass River, teaches a State class for LTC, and I believe is still on the State firearms board. He has done a lot for gun owners in this state.

I have patronized his store for about 22 years, and will continue to do so. However, you should take my words with a grain of salt - I like the guy in the store on 28 in Middleboro, too!

I live close to the Powderhorn and I have been in a few times. I would say that it appears like Marc has a bipolar disorder (in my own un-informed opinion). I went in once the day after I got my LTC and was treated great (shied away from purchasing after checking all of the prices..). Went back in a week later to get accessories and ammo and got the "let's abuse the customer" treatment. I looked him in the eye as put back $175.00 in ammo back on the shelf, left the rest of my cleaning supplies on the counter and walked out.
I now plan on road trips to restock and make new purchases. Too bad, his location was very convenient.

I live on Cape and have not been their because of all these reviews just like this one. I did call to get a price on a M&P and it was $110 more than FS. I took the ride to FS, gas was $30. If he was $550 I might have gone their. He has a right to charge what he wants but I also can chose not to buy at those prices. I still want to check the place out as it is close, but these reviews ( 98% posts here are bad) keep me away.

Stopped into The Powderhorn for the second time yesterday. Probably won't waste my time stopping there again. 210 Barnstable Rd, Hyannis, MA 02601, 508-775-8975.

The front of the store is mostly fishing equipment, the back room is mostly/all guns and hunting gear.

The owner, Marc Cohen, wasn't in so I asked one of the people working there a couple of questions and they couldn't answer me. They told me that I'd have to speak with Marc personally. That plus some input from Jim Conway on the place leads me to believe that there are no bargains to be had there or easy ability to get things ordered as special orders.

Looked at what appeared to me to be a used S&W 1911, priced $799! Looked at some of the lightweight triggerless (WHOOPS! Make that "hammerless") S&W revolvers, prices seemed to start at $679. I recall seeing some similar model revolvers at Four Seasons and Collectors in the under $360 range.

Lots of old hunting rifles, some Ruger pistols and a some S&W revolvers in the new pistol cases. Some used handguns, nothing that jumped out at me at the prices asked.

Edited to correct a major goof! Correction bolded. Shouldn't post this stuff when tired! [roll]

i dont know about the rest of you. but the powder horn has done nothing wrong to me..has always been there when i need anything. granted there are a few older employees there, you might have seen them is you went to the shop on the weekend. mark has done me no wrong but i prefer to deal with jerry.

and about that "used" s&w1911. i held the same gun today and saw minimum scratches on the barrel. this is most likely caused by the fact that it is a floor model, and is handled by everyone and there brother 6 times a day. if you took the time to get to know the shop before you judge you might have different feelings about them

oneton, do you realize that you quoted my OP that started this thread FIVE YEARS AGO?

The prices for back in 2005 were very high . . . although they are within range today. If you handled the same 1911 today that I saw back in 2005, I guess the price didn't impress anyone enough to buy it over the last 5 years! [rofl] [laugh2]

Back
Top Bottom