The Powderhorn, Hyannis, MA

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Stopped into The Powderhorn for the second time yesterday. Probably won't waste my time stopping there again. 210 Barnstable Rd, Hyannis, MA 02601, 508-775-8975.

The front of the store is mostly fishing equipment, the back room is mostly/all guns and hunting gear.

The owner, Marc Cohen, wasn't in so I asked one of the people working there a couple of questions and they couldn't answer me. They told me that I'd have to speak with Marc personally. That plus some input from Jim Conway on the place leads me to believe that there are no bargains to be had there or easy ability to get things ordered as special orders.

Looked at what appeared to me to be a used S&W 1911, priced $799! Looked at some of the lightweight triggerless (WHOOPS! Make that "hammerless") S&W revolvers, prices seemed to start at $679. I recall seeing some similar model revolvers at Four Seasons and Collectors in the under $360 range.

Lots of old hunting rifles, some Ruger pistols and a some S&W revolvers in the new pistol cases. Some used handguns, nothing that jumped out at me at the prices asked.

Edited to correct a major goof! Correction bolded. Shouldn't post this stuff when tired! [roll]

Yea, that.

Anyway, I've known several people that have been to that shop, and they said that they would never return to them again. I guess one of my friends were saying something to the owner and he said that he was stupid. And I don't think that it was anything out in left field. Just a comment about a recoil spring or somthing. I'll have to e-mail him and find out what it was and let you know.

So, just by that, I have no urge to go there.

Ok, folks . . . yup I screwed up the post. [oops]

None of us are perfect and my Wife keeps reminding me of that fact! [wink]

Maybe I should move this post to the Humor forum? :)

I found out what happened. I was wrong with my other post.

He said that he acted like an ass when he said that it seems the only firearms available in MA are Smith & Wesson. Then he said that it was coincidental that they are manufactored in MA and that S&W only had to provide a letter to the Attorney General saying tht they would comply with his "safety gap". He then got all defensive and called him stupid and didn't know what he was talking about.

He said that he walked out and never went back.

Yep, I live on cape and I dont BOTHER going there unless its a rainy day and I cant work. :lol: They had a Glock 22 there for $550, the same exact refurb that FSguns sells for under 400 :lol: Those guys are realy a piece of work at that place.

Piece of something alright. It's a 4 letter word I'm thinking of and it aint work. :D
They just plain suck. They are rude, act as if they know just everything about guns and you are treated like a moron. It's like they are doing you a favor by briefly acknowledging your presence and taking your money or answering your stupid questions. Prices are insane and I really do not understand how they keep the lights on. I s'pose there are alot of folks who just won't go over the bridge for a gun purchase and put up with their BS. I'm not one of them. 40 bucks for a transfer? mark won't mail a copy of his FFL to anyone but another FFL for transfers either.

He is the biggest reason that I won't join the bass river club as I understand he is heavily involved in the club.

C-

terrapin88 said:
He is the biggest reason that I won't join the bass river club as I understand he is heavily involved in the club.

C-

Whether you agree or disagree with the man's business practices, that is no reason to bash what is the most active club in the area. The club is run by a Board of Directors not one person.

Also, that one person has done more for the gun owners of MA than I suspect any person posting to this thread has done. check the names that have fought the AGs rulings. Business is business, getting personal is poor taste.

Regards,

Round Gun Shooter, I don't know where you got the impression that I was bashing BRGC in my post. I reread it and found nothing derogatory directed at that club.

My post relfected the fact that I don't like the powderhorn or Mark, and I'm only too happy to express this to anyone who asks. I also feel that a review should include the reasons why you give a thumbs up or thumbs down which are outlined in my original post.

C-

This will be my last on this, a review of a shop is one thing. Personal attacks is another. Adding a comment regarding Bass River Rod and Gun club to your personal attack leads unknowing people to believe there is something wrong with the club.

You are free to have your opinions. It is also a little too easy to make anonymous personal attacks on a person on an Internet Forum.

Just so things are clear, I know the people that work in that shop, but I am not a regular customer. I just don't believe in attacking someone personally who is not present to defend themselves. How a man does business is his business. A review of a shop will include how the person does business.

Saying or infering someone is a POS is poor taste on any Internet forum. Totally unnecessarry.

Sincerely,

GMS
Harwich, MA

Bass River is a great club.

I don't believe that I know the person/store you guys are ripping (I've heard the names) but I do know the Bass River Club.

Bass River is a great club.
Bass River has really good shooters.
Bass River has a group of very good people.
These people are worth knowing, you can learn alot from them.

It's your loss if you let some guy irritate you into not shooting Bass River.

Respectfully,

jdkelly

Never been to the Powderhorn, so I can't comment on that.

I can just echo Jkelly and RGS's posts, Bass River is one of my favorite places to go shooting. The guys are great. In my numerous visits to the club and interaction with its members over the past couple years I've never heard mention of the shop in question.

Round Gun Shooter said:
This will be my last on this, a review of a shop is one thing. Personal attacks is another. Adding a comment regarding Bass River Rod and Gun club to your personal attack leads unknowing people to believe there is something wrong with the club.

You are free to have your opinions. It is also a little too easy to make anonymous personal attacks on a person on an Internet Forum.

Saying or infering someone is a POS is poor taste on any Internet forum. Totally unnecessarry."

I call them like I see them and I don't understand how one could consider a review of a shop complete without without covering all aspects of the shop including the owner and how he and his staff interact with potential customers. Perhaps my opinions ruffle your feathers because you "know the people that work in that shop"?

Either way it makes no matter. I will happily agree to disagree with you and leave it at that.

Lastly and for the record, I have no problem whatsoever with the Bass River club. I never stated I did not like the club or it's members in my original post. I'm sure it's a wonderful club populated by good folks. For those who read my original post and came away thinking it was a bash on the BRGC, you must have misunderstood.

Merry Christmas!

C-

I got my LTC in May, and live near the Powderhorn. So i have spent $3,000+ there since then. They are the only ones close by.

I have mixed reviews...

Marc and Dave have been rude to me at times. They talk down to me and do not go out of there way to help a me out when I need an answer (I never ask for much). I had to complain to Marc once because I bought a gun missing some parts, but he did make it right.

However, they have been busy at times, so I can understand some unintentional rudeness. Mark is also a good avacate with gun rights. And they stuck behind their product when something was wrong with another gun I bought.

So taking out the Human Factor; They stand behind their product, but the prices are very high.

As far as Bass River, its a great club! Would recomend it to anyone.

I've been in there maybe a dozen times, and have been treated very rudely the majority of those visits. I'm amazed they can stay in business with the way they treat customers. After my last visit, I walked out shaking my head, I was treated with such rudeness and disrespect. I can put up with a little attitude but this place is just ridiculous.

rockdoc

Well, I went into the powderhorn today and nothing I heard here was true. Marc is an exceptionally nice guy and all the guns I saw were resonably priced. I just brought home 500 dollars worth of used guns and acsessories.

Another big thumbs down for Marc at the PowderHorn. I popped in there one time with the intention of buying a couple Officer's model mags and a case of ammo, and got treated like shite. I asked if they had any of the mags, and Marc audibly sighed and rolled his eyes like I was bothering him. He pulled down a tupperware bin and handed me a rusty Colt's 6 round Officer's mag and told me it was $25. I said new Wilson's mags were about the same, figuring he might come down a few bucks for the well-used rusty mag. He told me to take my money, and go elsewhere than, in a totally rude manner. I told him he was a jackass and left.

In summary, Marc from the Powder Horn in Hyannis is a jackass, and I have no qualms about saying so. If he treated me like most reasonable people would have, I wouldn't be typing this. I'll drive the hour to FS Guns.

I have been to the Powderhorn, several times, in fact. Even if the prices are not what you might like, it is a helluva place to sell a gun. Mr. Cohen offers very attractive prices to customers selling guns to the shop.

Also, Mr. Cohen has been an incredibly strong supporter of gun rights in Massachusetts long before many others jumped on the bandwagon.

Cohen is very involved in the protection of the 2nd Amendment. His prices for new handguns are very high, I'm from Bourne and would rather drive to Four Seasons. The people in there did seem sort of rude but they lighten up after they get to know you.

This old guy was working in there when I went in to order some 300WM brass, his reply was "Naaaaa no one reloads anymore.. you just shoot em and throw them away" My response was that all precision shooters reload. His response again was "I hunt up the Maine, we just throw the brass away"
My response was that cheap hunting ammo will shoot 2 MOA at best and I need 0.5 MOA components at least.

The moral of the story is it's too much work to make special orders, they're just interested in selling what they have in stock.

Avoid Powderhorn

Living on the Cape, I've been the Powderhorn several times over the years and I always end up walking out shaking my head and wondering why I wasted my time. The Powderhorn is by far the rudest and most unfriendly retail store that I have ever seen anywhere (3 continents). Just avoid this place. It's amazing that they have stayed in business.

If you want great service from knowledgable people go to M&M in Plymouth or make the drive up to Four Seasons in Woburn and see Carl. These are quality people that you will be happy to have done business with.

BV

I went in there before ownership changed hands and it was a bit nicer (3 years ago maybe), can't say much about pricing as we were just poking around, but the older gentleman that was there was friendly and helpful. Last time I went in was a year ago, no intention of going back.

I went in there before ownership changed hands and it was a bit nicer (3 years ago maybe), can't say much about pricing as we were just poking around, but the older gentleman that was there was friendly and helpful. Last time I went in was a year ago, no intention of going back.

Same owner for over 20 years[wink]

Back
Top Bottom