The Powderhorn, Hyannis, MA

2 cents...

I've been there many times and have never had a problem or felt uncomfortable at all. Bought some .308 for the new PTR Massdiver sold me and went back the next day to fill them in on how it shot.

Usually end up shooting the sh*t with one of the guys behind the counter and then walking out no problems.

powderhorn

i was a customer of the powderhorn,spent several thousand there.marc has some severe mood swings.anyway on the short,i ordered a firing pin for a savage 30e 410,ended up get one for a savage rifle,when i asked marc about it ,he fought with me over who's fault it was,instead of just ordering a new one,and said "your a F IN lier,get the F out of my store, beat it". never will i ever go to the powderhorn again. someone needs to open a descent gun shop on cape. lonewolf

I don't know how they stay in buissness. Crappy selection & worlds worst customer service. I will never set foot in there again either.

Wow! Now my curiosity is really piqued. I'm gonna make a point of stopping in there the next time I'm in the area. I gotta experience this place[smile]

Jon Wear your hazmat suit!! The place is filthy and do not touch anything unless you have your gloves on.Also bring glass cleaner to clean the (show?) cases to see if he has any hand guns in them.

Fred

Last edited:
The few times I've been in there I've been treated very well.
The first time was many years ago when my friend and I bought a couple old used 22's.
Just a few months ago I stopped in there to buy a can of Tetra.
I asked if they had any plastic jags. The guy went into a box and handed it to me for free. I found the man to be extremely pleasant. We had a very enjoyable conversation. He gave my his card and said to say hello for him to the person I usually do business with up here.

Powderhorn Outfitters

Update. I tried to have a new gun shipped to the Powderhorn Outfitters. I obtained permission from Dave, and the two guys that work there. Mark did tell me a few months before, he would do this transfer. He has also said that if he does not sell a gun in the shop he will do a FFL transfer from another dealer. So no problem, right?

WRONG!
[angry]

After a few weeks, when the seller said they never received the faxed FFL, I then called Mark. He said he was not going to do it, because "it would put him out of business." I reminded him that he's making around $50 for just filling out a form, making a phone call, and hand me my F'n gun (10 minutes). That's pure, non-taxed, profit for the Powderhorn Outfitters.

He left me in a bad situation. I was also very embarrassed. As a 4th generation Cape Codder, I will talk truthful about business practices at the Powderhorn Outfitters until I die at Cape Cod Hospital. That's probably 40+ years. Heck, my dying breath might be "The Powderhorn Outfitters CRM is non existent."

If someone opened a shop across the street called "Not the Powderhorn Outfitters", it would be busy and profitable. If I win the $20 million lottery on the 4th, I will do that.

Last edited:
Powderhorn

Worse retail experience that I have ever had. These guys are the bottom of the barrel. Just tell people to stay away and maybe they’ll finally go out of business.

re powder horn

i told you guys that place sucks! So know maybe you will take my advice.if you live on cape and need a transfer go to eastmans sport and tackle,jim is very nice and will take care of you,eastmans has mostly fishing stuff but can order just about anything you want,gun wise,so if you know what you want,go to eastmans and have jim order it ,his prices are very good!for example i saw a rem 870 classic trap at powerhorn,(it was used,and priced near retail),eastmans ordered it and i bought it for less than powderhorns used price.also even tho eastmans gun inventory is slim,swing in at least once a month, last august i poped in and found a rem 740 auto in 3006 for $175.00-it was the deal of the year.they also do consingment.and last eastman has a huge fishing dept. for freshwater to bluewater shark and tuna gear. so go see jim at eastmans sport and tackle main st falmouth ma, jim is the only person there that deals with guns so you will not get jerk around![mg][mg][mg][mg][mg][mg][mg][mg][mg][mg][mg][mg][mg][mg][mg][mg]

I was involved in a business transaction with this organization and was lied to in the process. I would NEVER do business with them.

PS Love Bass River! Great club run by a bunch of great people.

I read quite a few of these posts in different topics, and although I would like to chime in with my opinion, I don't, frankly either because I don't know the facts about the topic, or don't know enough or have enough experience to make an educated statement.
This time however is different.
I have very fond memories of my father bringing me to Bass River Rod and Gun Club every thursday night for years when I was anywhere from ten to sixteen for the .22 practice that Marc Cohen either ran or participated in.
I can recall numerous encounters between myself as a young person, and my father, interacting with Marc, at an extremely professional, caring level.
Years passed, and I frequented his store on occasion.

My father called me one night a few years back to tell me that Marc's wife had passed away. Remembering how Marc treated me as a ten year old new to the sport, I sympathised a bit more than normal.

This post isn't an excuse for anyone who has been treated badly by Marc, or his employees, it's simply just a post from someone who has known him for quite some time. Like I said, this time, I have facts, and am not adding opinions onto them.

Let's just call it fond memories of how Marc treated me years ago.

I stopped in there for the first time in about a year or so today. My wife just got her Class A LTC unrestricted, and we're buying her a brand new pistol for her first one. She's very intersted in a S&W M&P 9mm full size. We basically decided the savings offered by buying it at one of the more reknown north of Boston shops would be negated by the fuel we'd burn to drive there.

I couldn't be more happy. I've had my own less than stellar experiences in there before so I wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't catch the guy's name....it wasn't Mark...I remember him. It was an older, slender gentleman. He was wonderful with my wife, going over some of the pistols they had in stock, the S&W warranty, pulling out some other pistols she may have been interested in, etc. We shared a few good hearted jokes about womenfolk and how they tend to stick with a gun, whereas us men tend to go through so many FA-10 forms we can do it in the dark. Overall a very nice guy, as was the other non-Mark, slightly older gentleman, who got into the discussion a little too. A nice smile and friendly greeting from the younger guy working out front in the fishing area when we walked through as well.

When my wife explained she still wanted to feel out a few other pistols first and think it over, he was still extremely pleasant and even made a few more comments about how women tend to be much more carefull and patient decision makers, and that his wife was exactly the same way, etc.

As far as prices go, well I noticed a mixed bag. The prices seemed to be high to me on the S&W 1911s in stock...then again I haven't kept up with prices on them. However the pistols, rifles and shotguns I looked at seemed pretty normal to me. For example, I was tempted to pick up a very good condition used Taurus 92fs with a couple of mags for $420. There was a brand new 870 Marine Magnum (the stainless/synthetic furniture model) for $525.

I just wanted to chime in. Human nature is such that we tend to speak up to complain about bad experiences, yet keep a little quieter about good ones. So I felt it only fair to post this today.

Like I said I know I could save $40 bucks or so by going up north, but when my wife decides she definitely wants the M&P, we'll be going back over the bridge.

Last edited:
I've been spending money at the Powderhorn for over 10 years.

Yes, Marc can be moody. Yes, he can be downright rude and nasty.
But he's been courteous, patient and helpful with me more times than I can count. A word of advise: If you go in there, and they are very busy, don't even bother trying to talk to him!

I've learned to think about my questions or comments very carefully before presenting them to him. Just imagine how many idiotic questions he's asked on a daily basis. And just imagine how frustrating it must be to own a gunshop in MA.

It is absolutely true that he's gone the distance to help maintain our 2A rights.

Mostly, there are no bargains to be found there. But I've been "hooked up" there many times, probably because I've been going there for so long.

Ultimately, my 2 cents: If you don't like the guy, spend your money elsewhere. True, you'll probably find a better deal off-Cape anyhow.
While his personality may be erratic, don't call him a POS or a jackass.
He's trying to run a business. Let the folks who've never been there go in and decide for themselves.

As an addition to my reply 2 posts up, I must say I was mistaken on the price difference on the M&Ps......they are $480 up north.....that's a $120 difference. On second thought no, I don't think I'll be buying it there afterall.

POWERHORN

IN A POST 10 MONTHS AGO I SHARED A STORY ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE AT THE POWERHORN HYANNIS MA, THE OWNER MARK IS RUDE AND A TYRANT,SCREAMING AT PAYING CUSTOMERS, CRAP BUSINESS MAN. WELL THIS WEEK MY COUSIN WENT IN TO THE POWERHORN, AFTER I HAD WARNED HIM HOW THAT PLACE IS RUN. HE WANTED TO BUY A BOW , AND AFTER GETTING NO SERVICE HE ASK IF HE COULD STRING THE BOW HIMSELF, AND MARK ALLOWED HIM TO DO SO.WELL IN THE PROCESS OF DOING SO THE BOW SPRING SLIPPED AND SUDDENDLLY MARK WENT INTO A TYRATE SWEARING AT HIM.,TELL HIM TO GET THE F*** OUT OF HIS STORE. WHAT A JACK A**. AND MARK IF YOU ARE READING THIS WE WENT TO MIDDLEBORO REDDYS AND SPENT $500.00(REDDYS STAFF IS VERY FREINDLY AND EAGER TO HELP ALL). WITH THE WAY THE ECONOMY IS YOU WOULD THINK MARK WOULD SMARTIN UP, NO NOT HIM. GO TO THE POWDERHORN AND BE PREPARED TO BE ABUSED!!!!!!

CapsLock.jpg

I see these posts all the time. I don't get it. I've been in the store a dozen times -- mostly killing time on the way to the Depot, and never had a problem myself or saw it with anyone else.

I see these posts all the time. I don't get it. I've been in the store a dozen times -- mostly killing time on the way to the Depot, and never had a problem myself or saw it with anyone else.

Price is one issue. A month ago we bought my wife her first pistol. Powderhorn was selling new M&Ps for $600. The same exact pistols that most other places sell for about $480. [laugh] It's not across the board though...some things are priced more in line with other places. Last time I was in there I was tempted to walk out with a 92fs in great shape with 2 pre-ban factory 15 rounders for $420. I thought that was a decent price, for example.

Like most places, I've had good and bad experiences there.

Hey POWERHORN used to be a radio shack brand name for a PA speaker product line. [laugh]

-Mike

Excuse me!!! I think you might need glasses and hearing aids.

I've been verbal abused and saw it happen and heard it happen to others while in there.

Back
Top Bottom