The pistol carbine 9mm - Novelty or purpose

I bought one to shoot in Steel Challenge competitions. Totally worth it, tons of fun. Did a basic AR platform as I wanted reliability. Uses Glock mags.

Attachments

• 5ADF5755-3A68-4DFC-B4C5-16198AFF730D.jpeg
    5ADF5755-3A68-4DFC-B4C5-16198AFF730D.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 64
Yes, totally agreed. At my indoor range those rounds definitely make me uneasy, I have to double up on ear protection.
I have one and would not bring it to an indoor range. I use an outdoor range and when behind it it’s no issue at all. On the side though? It’s uneasy. Love it. Love all guns though, lol

Does anyone have any experience with the Ruger PC Carbine Model 19124?

Ruger PC Carbine Model 19124.jpg

I like the way it looks, seems to get good reviews on YouTube, appears to be Mass. legal with 10-round magazines.
My club (BGRA) only allows pistol-caliber carbines on their range. They have some Beretta CX4 Storms which are a lot of fun to shoot but the styling is a bit much for me.
Any input welcome.
Thank you.

i am going 10 mm; waiting for the ruger pc carbine in that caliber

This is the correct answer.
View: https://youtu.be/G2MXgev7dzo
x

Pushing 2000 fps with the 115 grain (this would probably be my choice for handgun/pcc crossover) and, well, stupid fast (2800fps?!) with the 60 grain, even out of the pistol barrel. Neither of those rounds are cheap though. The Civil Defense 60 grain is $1.40/rd. at TSUSA. There is some controversy with the 60 grain as well. It’s a fragmenting JHP with a not great ballistic coefficient. It’ll defeat level IIIA body armor because of it’s aforementioned stupid high velocity, but dumps most of that energy into those fragments in the first 4” of penetration, only sending a small copper disc the full advertised 12”. Then I found this video-

View: https://youtu.be/_sBf6GhVmDs

I dunno, you be the judge. Lack of penetration through fragmentation at 2400fps looks rather devastating, push it to 2800 through a PCC and who knows? like lobbing a tiny frag grenade at flesh. Yikes! Vital areas or not, that stupid little round is causing trauma regardless of where it lands. There are some other 10mm loads (Buffalo Bore heavy?) that may give you a better ballistic coefficient through a handgun and a PCC for the cross platform compatibility you’re looking for.

To answer the original question asked of the thread, based on my very limited research, 9mm through a PCC is fun at the range, cost effective, and can afford you some considerable improvements to velocities (thank you Paul Harrell). However, 10mm would seem to come closer to bridging the gap between pistol and rifle ballistics, at a higher cost. Even 10mm range ammo is considerably more expensive than 9, and the exotics that get you close to and above 2200fps are well above $1/rd. If I could afford it, I’d go 10mm for PCC/handgun over 9mm. But I can’t, so I’ll stick to 9 like everyone else.

This is the correct answer.
View: https://youtu.be/G2MXgev7dzo
x

Pushing 2000 fps with the 115 grain (this would probably be my choice for handgun/pcc crossover) and, well, stupid fast (2800fps?!) with the 60 grain, even out of the pistol barrel. Neither of those rounds are cheap though. The Civil Defense 60 grain is $1.40/rd. at TSUSA. There is some controversy with the 60 grain as well. It’s a fragmenting JHP with a not great ballistic coefficient. It’ll defeat level IIIA body armor because of it’s aforementioned stupid high velocity, but dumps most of that energy into those fragments in the first 4” of penetration, only sending a small copper disc the full advertised 12”. Then I found this video-

View: https://youtu.be/_sBf6GhVmDs

I dunno, you be the judge. Lack of penetration through fragmentation at 2400fps looks rather devastating, push it to 2800 through a PCC and who knows? like lobbing a tiny frag grenade at flesh. Yikes! Vital areas or not, that stupid little round is causing trauma regardless of where it lands. There are some other 10mm loads (Buffalo Bore heavy?) that may give you a better ballistic coefficient through a handgun and a PCC for the cross platform compatibility you’re looking for.

To answer the original question asked of the thread, based on my very limited research, 9mm through a PCC is fun at the range, cost effective, and can afford you some considerable improvements to velocities (thank you Paul Harrell). However, 10mm would seem to come closer to bridging the gap between pistol and rifle ballistics, at a higher cost. Even 10mm range ammo is considerably more expensive than 9, and the exotics that get you close to and above 2200fps are well above $1/rd. If I could afford it, I’d go 10mm for PCC/handgun over 9mm. But I can’t, so I’ll stick to 9 like everyone else.

the 60 grain looks like it is as powerful as 223 out of a hand gun but they are expensive. wonder about reloading data?

View attachment 314082

I like the way it looks, seems to get good reviews on YouTube, appears to be Mass. legal with 10-round magazines.
My club (BGRA) only allows pistol-caliber carbines on their range. They have some Beretta CX4 Storms which are a lot of fun to shoot but the styling is a bit much for me.
Any input welcome.
Thank you.
I have an original Ruger PC,built from 1996-2006, they were fantastic overbuilt&heavy. I have held the new ones, they are still heavy,seem well built as well. for the price , they seem like a good value. Ablility to use on a pistol range is a plus. There are hundreds of reviews on line and on youtube. Most are favorable.Check them out

been tossing around the idea of getting rid of my fairly new Alpine Kriss Vector 9mm for the new PTR 9r mp5 clone. A bit pricey but ive always wanted an mp5 style firearm.

View attachment 314082

Any input welcome.
Thank you.
I put a few rounds through one at the Ruger NH state IDPA championship last month and it was pretty darn nice. I'd say the only thing that could be improved (from a competitive PCC perspective) was the mag release button location. But aside from that it was a nice gun. I'm far from a PCC expert.

Old thread but every time I see a PC carbine or braced 9mm AR "pistol" my initial reaction is cool!! why don't I own one already!??.. then I remember why I don't - my p226 holds 20 rounds in a balanced manner, takes up a whole lot less space, and I can dump a mag into a silhouette with it at 50 yards... if I want a rifle I got those and they are infinitely more capable for accuracy at distance and for power..

Very cool guns, saw a sig 9mm AR variant the other day, relatively quiet, light, accurate, but as a range toy a .308 carbine is more fun, for most any other purpose it's more capable, and for something easy to carry for protection at relatively close range a pistol serves the same purpose and can be carried on your hip...

Now if you are limited to PC where you shoot that is a good reason alone. Outside of that I think they are kinda a gimmick.

Back
Top Bottom