• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The pistol carbine 9mm - Novelty or purpose

And this is the reason I am shying away from the AR-9 PCC platform. Might just be fluke but been watching online videos of these things jamming, and happens among various manufacturers. Feeling a bit more confident in a PCC where the caliber is specific to the platform, hence the Scorpion. Just having a hard time swallowing the cost BUT if it’s as reliable as I’ve seen I may just do it.
Or get the original Skorpion...
1572985529574.png

I just looked up that ammo, and it's $32.50 to $32.99 at the few places I saw it. For twenty rounds. Sorry but $1.65/rd is ridiculously expensive. At least for a range day / training. For actual home defense purposes nothing is "too" expensive, but that's just silly, for what it is.

Yup, strictly a defense/hunting round. But it does make the M1 Carbine much more viable if it’s the only option you have. A bonus of it is that it’s the most precise carbine round I’ve shot.... sub-3 MOA [rofl]

Should I be looking at other platforms?

I have a couple of Kel-tec Sub-2K platforms and they are strictly "novelty" in my opinion.
Fun to shoot and plink with, maybe even take camping (when shooting is not an issue.)
But I would not trust my life to it. If it is all I have, sure, but I would not knowingly take it into harm's way...

Nothing wrong with owning one as a range toy though...

~Enbloc.

Have been very happy with my Scorpion. 100% reliable and there is a ton of after market for it.

I really wish they had a variant that took MP5 mags. No bolt hold-open, but probably the cheapest 30 rounders in MA.

I just looked up that ammo, and it's $32.50 to $32.99 at the few places I saw it. For twenty rounds. Sorry but $1.65/rd is ridiculously expensive. At least for a range day / training. For actual home defense purposes nothing is "too" expensive, but that's just silly, for what it is.

Damn...really? That's pricey stuff. Almost like the decimal point is in the wrong place compared to 9mm.

2 particular models that have caught my attention recently. The Scorpion EVO S1 or the JRC Just Right Carbine AR style. Both in 9mm format. For home defense and range practice , help me decide.
This platform top of mind for purposes mentioned above due to ammo $$$, ammo availability, and shootability. Should I be looking at other platforms.

You’re pretty much on point. Though, if I had to engage anybody beyond room distances, I’d go with a rifle caliber. Pistol caliber is going to be 10 yards and in for me if I have a choice. 25 yards at a stretch.
There are people in this thread saying that if hey have a rifle/carbine, it’s going to be chambered in a rifle round. Fair enough, but a PCC can be shortened to something crazy like a 4-8” barrel and still have minimal noise/concussion. The same can’t be said for a rifle round. All those SWAT teams that switched to 5.56 from their 9mm carbines have good earpro. You waking up in the middle of the night will not.
It’s all about trade space and compromise. Some prefer the better terminal ballistics of rifle rounds and don’t care about compactness or noise/concussion.

OP, if you are open to other than the AR type platform PCC, I've been running a Hi-Point 9MM PCC for years mostly for plinking (I.E. lower cost), but it's always available for Home Defense. Our house is fairly small in a small neighborhood, so I'm not really looking to "reach out and touch someone" with it, but it is capable to distances that I can see. Yes, it is not the most attractive (although it suits my tastes just fine), and yes, it is heavier than the other rifles, but for short distances and not shooting out my neighbors Bay windows, it's fine. Plus, it puts a smile on my face when shooting it. [wink]

... All those SWAT teams that switched to 5.56 from their 9mm carbines have good earpro. You waking up in the middle of the night will not.

O.K., so maybe we are outside the mainstream, but Mrs. a73elkyss and I both have eyes/ears/lights on each nightstand. It really doesn't add more than a second or two when awakened. Plus, having Howard Leights amplifying ambient sounds really gives me a slight advantage.

Jay

166h2aD.jpg

Why can't it have both? Pure fun and many uses. Though some are definitely overpriced. Have several with the two most recent being a USC to UMP conversion (not 9mm) that I put together really cheap and a Zenith Z5 (mp5 clone). Don't have more up-to-date photos though, it's been dyed and finished since and is just waiting on the stamp. PSA: They are kind of blah in 9mm. But stupidly fun in .45ACP. Have a Grand Power Stribog arriving tomorrow that I'm looking forward to giving a try. Was going to get a B&T but decided to give this a shot based on the information that is out there. Will post photos when that comes in.
That being said pistol in 9mm is like the more grown up version of a .22lr rifle in this day and age. Not to say you can't have fun with .22 still. It is incredibly hard to go wrong with a 9mm carbine though of almost any flavor.
37585447_1825789470777695_3326532941906968576_n.jpg

I just ordered a Palmetto AK-V. Should arrive in a week or so at the FFL. My first foray in the PCC world. It usees Scorpion mags and PSA has their own CZ compatible 35rd mags for it at $15 a piece. Also has last round bolt hold open with a release in the top of the mag well on the left side.

I have really been reluctant to get a PPC because I just don’t see the purpose philosophically speaking. I have always thought of pistol rounds for handguns. Rifle rounds for carbines and that should cover my needs.

It was the potential fun factor shooting inexpensive 9mm, hopefully with a can later on that swayed me. Just sounds fun to mess around with. I think a PCC would make more sense to my logical side if we did not have the stupid 86 Hughes nonsense.

From what I’ve been reading PCC is a solid choice at 50 yards and in. For a home defense platform, I cannot imagine needing anything past the 50.

My home range will allow all most pistol calibers, so this seems like an ideal choice in terms of training.

Is there something that I am not taking into consideration?

I think a very real possibility in our lifetime will be defending the neighborhood from armed looters or gangs. An AR would be perfect for this. For the home especially in MA a Glock-mag PCC or SBR makes more sense than an EVO or MPX with gimped mags.

I also like the idea of a CAA for home or car trunk. But it's a lot of money if you include the Glock.

4083AB42-C202-444D-B3D5-809F5E3D7172.jpeg

I think a very real possibility in our lifetime will be defending the neighborhood from armed looters or gangs. An AR would be perfect for this. For the home especially in MA a Glock-mag PCC or SBR makes more sense than an EVO or MPX with gimped mags.

I also like the idea of a CAA for home or car trunk. But it's a lot of money if you include the Glock.

View attachment 311014

You can get MPX mags in larger capacities if you know where to look?

View attachment 311014
You can get MPX mags in larger capacities if you know where to look?
How about an Uzi surplus 32 rounder in an EVO? Enjoyed testing a prototype adapter in mine. Slicker than snot on a doorknob.
IMG_0212 (1).jpg

who gaf what you operate with

as long as you put lead on target ur good in my book, u could run a nambu and as long as you got offhand golfball sized groups at average engagement range I'd be impressed

What about pistol length options for free staters? Love the CMMG Banshee, but it’s a bit spendy!

I have a Beretta CX4 Storm. Kind of funky looking but I find it a great little PCC and it takes 92 series mags, so if you’ve already got a 92FS/M9 you can share mags (actually can take appropriate for caliber PX4, 90-series and 8000 series mags using adapters). With a red dot and flashlight on it it and a couple of pre-ban 15 rounders it makes a great “older person” home defense gun. With arthritis making it difficult to rack a hand gun slide and eyes giving out it’s just what the doctor ordered. I did send the trigger housing off to SierraPapa for their hammer/trigger/spring upgrade, made a world of difference.

on one hand, the ammo cost is a positive.
on the other hand, you are shooting pistol ammo thru a rifle....the ballistics will be awful, with the bullets hitting the dirt 100 yards out.

I have a rossi lever action in .454 that is fun to play with, but unless i am trying to cut down a tree 20 feet away...its usefullness is questionable.

Pistol Caliber Carbines have been around for awhile. My Marlin Camp9 since 1985. Easy to shoot for kids, women elderly, new shooters, and you get better ballistics as wellView attachment 310972
I have one also. A bonus is that hi-cap pre ban magazines are available. (Same as S&W Model 59s.)

Back
Top Bottom