The perfect deer hunting shotgun, it no longer exists...

I've got a now 22 year old Remington 11-87 that's been a faithful companion for a while. But, from time to time she has needed a tune-up. Gas piston, o-ring from time to time. I replaced the entire trigger group/assembly a few years ago when she would no longer cycle after a shot and always locked open as if she were empty. All the springs were tired and it just made sense to replace in its entirety. But she's always gone bang and reliably cycles anything from bird shot to tall brass 3" slugs.. She's just the way I like her. I've got a rifled barrel with a scope mount. I also have a pistol grip stock.

I'm starting to look for a new shotgun knowing this one will not last forever and parts will only get harder to come by. But I just can not find a good match, at any price point. My requirements aren't crazy:

semi Auto
pistol grip stock (which I am willing to buy separately)
can accept a rifled barrel (which I am willing to buy separately)
has a mount for an optic (cantilever on the rifled barrel is fine)
strong preference for the safety button/switch being in the trigger guard/assembly. Not on the receiver (Mossberg)

The only match I could piece together is a Mossberg 930. But a pistol grip combined with the safety on the receiver is just not a good match. Their pistol grip stock seems like an afterthought in their design and just does not look like a well-thought-out piece of equipment. Plus, by the time I put all these parts together, I'm at the price point for a Benelli or a Browning..... and I would have a Mossberg.

I'm willing to spend some loot here. I enjoy hunting and a good shotgun that is exactly what I want, I'm willing to pay for that... I won't pay 3500 bucks to go bang around a Benelli in the woods, but I would gladly spend up to 2K.

I'm just finding it crazy that the market has no options....

22 years is young, for a Remmy. I can't see parts becoming all that rare, all that soon. If you love the gun, get a new trigger group and stash it, or get another used one as a parts gun.

I just picked up a fuggly A5, not because I needed it, but because it was cheaper than buying a firing pin from Numrich! [laugh]

I agree with @MisterHappy. It’s the only way you will be satisfied with you deer hunting shotgun.

My go to is an older cheap Winchester pump with a smoothbore slug barrel. It has killed many deer over many years and I don’t worry if it gets dinged up or wet. I wouldn’t feel right going shotgun deer hunting without it.

After awhile it just becomes an extension of you, it is a part of you and that is priceless.

Bob

22 years is young, for a Remmy. I can't see parts becoming all that rare, all that soon. If you love the gun, get a new trigger group and stash it, or get another used one as a parts gun.

I just picked up a fuggly A5, not because I needed it, but because it was cheaper than buying a firing pin from Numrich! [laugh]

I've actually thought of that, but I can't find another trigger group assembly anywhere. Gas pistons, o-Rings, and some springs can still be found though. This is the part number and description, which has since disappeared from Remy's site since the bankruptcy and buy-out. The few places that sell it are "out of stock with no backorder".

I'm going to try calling Remy and see if I can order direct. They still make the 1100 which shares many of the same parts. The 11-87 however, is dead. Hopefully...

F112117 1187 TRIGGER PLATE ASSEM 12 GA TACT MATTE (EXT. CARRIER RELEASE)

I don't find then a5 ugly at all. I have a new model and a 1969 with a 3 barrel set....IC full and iron sight buck special. I love that set.

Savage 220 bolt action slug gun . I thought I would never find anything more accurate than my H&R ultra slug hunter . But the Savage is more accurate and with Remington green dots it’s a legitimate slug gun out to 150 yds with no holdover. I highly recommend it.

I think the 1100,11-87 and the 870 share the same or very similar trigger groups.

I just did some work on a 11-87 converting the safety for a lefty And replacing the gas ring assembly with a new aftermarket one that Brownells sells.

I also think you should keep the old shotgun running.…….unless you just want an excuse to buy another gun.

Last edited:
I don't find then a5 ugly at all. I have a new model and a 1969 with a 3 barrel set....IC full and iron sight buck special. I love that set.
Oh, I LIKE the looks of an A5 - one of the ones, that I have is, however fugly. Forend is covered in fiberglass; missing screws, and a sleeve on the muzzle (welded) so that a ghetto front sight (to match the ghetto rear sight) could be added. Apparently, a previous owner wanted to shoot extra-boomy rounds, and added a 2" brass brass piece to tighten up the spring.

I stand by "Fugly" [laugh]

Savage 220 bolt action slug gun . I thought I would never find anything more accurate than my H&R ultra slug hunter . But the Savage is more accurate and with Remington green dots it’s a legitimate slug gun out to 150 yds with no holdover. I highly recommend it.
and it is available both 12 and 20 gauge, has stainless steel models and is available in a left handed version.

My Sweet 16 A5 with a browning buck barrel served me well for many years. I can't see the sights anymore well and won't scope it, because it would ruin the value and its going to my son who can see the sights.

When I use a scope one shot is good enough for me and i use a break open encore 20 gauge with a rifled barrel that shoots Hornady sabots accurate out to 150. If I change to anything it will be a Savage 220.

When Im in the brush now, I use the Ithaca 37 Deerslayer 16 gauge, I still have boxes and boxes of 16 gauge foster slugs from using the Sweet 16, and I can see the sights very well.

You've worn out a damn pistol grip stock semi auto 11-87 deer hunting? Why a pistol grip? You must be using it for more than deer hunting. You're asking for things that are just not normally asked for by most deer hunters.

I run a winchester 20ga pump shotgun with a smooth bore slug barrel with rifle sights and brenneke 3" slugs. Drops em just fine. Sometimes ill just carry my muzzle loader all season too, has nice fiber optic sights and it's plenty reliable. I have my dad's old remington 1100 with a cantilever slug barrel and a nice old 2x weaver post and crosshair scope on it, but I don't really use it. I could use my mossberg 500 flex but that is usually setup for social work, and my other stock and barrel for it is really for turkey.

I'll stick with my vintage Ithaca model 37 Deer Slayer with open sights.
Thing is deadly and a great example of American gun making.

Been searching local shops for one of these. No idea why, I just want one. I went from having to have tons of ARs in set ups for every use, to I need a bunch of shotguns, one for every use as well. My muzzle stuffer was just an after thought.

Been searching local shops for one of these. No idea why, I just want one. I went from having to have tons of ARs in set ups for every use, to I need a bunch of shotguns, one for every use as well. My muzzle stuffer was just an after thought.
There’s usually some on Gun Broker

I think the 870 with a smoothbore slug barrel is the best deer gun. You can use plain Remington slugger slugs, and its good out to 75 yards. If you want to keep it running forever, get a police trigger unit made by Remington for it. I had to replace my original Wingmaster trigger with one, and I picked up a spare for my express right before Remington closed. Now that they are open again, we can probably get these again from Remington. If not, look around to Brownells or Midway. Lots of places might still have the police trigger assemblys left.

Back
Top Bottom