(The Perennial) How much ammo is enough? question

in my more than 25 years of shooting and talking with shooters, i have NEVER heard someone say i have to much ammo!!! the real questing is how much room and money do you have?
I haven't heard that either... because no one knows how much I have.

images

I always wonder (in MA) how or where people store all the ammo they have on hand. Its easy enough to get an ammo box and throw a lock on there for pistol or rifle caliber stuff, but for shotshells if I was to buy years worth of what I use I would have to buy multiple locking cabinets to fill it and would legitimately be afraid that I would damage the floors in my APT from weight.

In another state I would know the answer would be "Pile it up somewhere in the basement that won't get wet".

Last edited:
I have an estimated 5000 ish rounds of 22 on hand. I just received an email concerning a 5,000 round CMP order I have been waiting to be filled for 2 years. I was debating on whether I should place the order or cancel it. But I went with it.

I have an estimated 5000 ish rounds of 22 on hand. I just received an email concerning a 5,000 round CMP order I have been waiting to be filled for 2 years. I was debating on whether I should place the order or cancel it. But I went with it.

Interesting. My order for CMP .22LR was placed almost 3 years ago (October will be 3) and haven't heard a peep out of them.

Based on the latest scares in MA and how the Presidential election is looking, have you upped your stocks?

Is anyone stockpiling for a 4 year bad ride?

Personally, without being overly specific, I always thought that keeping a base/floor inventory of each caliber I shoot of 1,000 rounds, and replace as necessary.
(22 and 556 being the exception, 1000 rounds of 22 seems to be danger-low....keeping inventory over 1000 rounds of 556 can get expensive?)

I'm sort of re-thinking, is 1,000 rounds of each caliber way too low if the SHTF?

What does everyone HONESTLY think a good number of base rounds is based on cost/benefit/current events?

Define SHTF are we able to stay with our supply?
I think I have more than enough I can manage by ways of storage transport and access.

To hold out on a shortage and still be able to go to the range. I'm good for range fun with 22lr for a good long while.
I can cast cheap bullets for my others if needed.

If I can't stay in my home and close to supply having several thousand rounds of anything but 22 will be a waste next to food and water ?

"I don't know if it is still good, it's been here for quite a while!" I told him that I'd take my chances. [rofl]

I've shot mucho ammo that was older than that kid was!

No shit. I love when i hear people say they are afraid if their ammo "going bad". Its not a banana. If I have this stuff 60+ years ill start rotating the stock.

I always aim for as much as I'm allowed before i need a permit from the fire dept. Don't forget about stocking up on reloading supplies too.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom