• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

(The Perennial) How much ammo is enough? question

in my more than 25 years of shooting and talking with shooters, i have NEVER heard someone say i have to much ammo!!! the real questing is how much room and money do you have?
I haven't heard that either... because no one knows how much I have.

images

I always wonder (in MA) how or where people store all the ammo they have on hand. Its easy enough to get an ammo box and throw a lock on there for pistol or rifle caliber stuff, but for shotshells if I was to buy years worth of what I use I would have to buy multiple locking cabinets to fill it and would legitimately be afraid that I would damage the floors in my APT from weight.

In another state I would know the answer would be "Pile it up somewhere in the basement that won't get wet".

Last edited:
I have an estimated 5000 ish rounds of 22 on hand. I just received an email concerning a 5,000 round CMP order I have been waiting to be filled for 2 years. I was debating on whether I should place the order or cancel it. But I went with it.

I have an estimated 5000 ish rounds of 22 on hand. I just received an email concerning a 5,000 round CMP order I have been waiting to be filled for 2 years. I was debating on whether I should place the order or cancel it. But I went with it.

Interesting. My order for CMP .22LR was placed almost 3 years ago (October will be 3) and haven't heard a peep out of them.

Based on the latest scares in MA and how the Presidential election is looking, have you upped your stocks?

Is anyone stockpiling for a 4 year bad ride?

Personally, without being overly specific, I always thought that keeping a base/floor inventory of each caliber I shoot of 1,000 rounds, and replace as necessary.
(22 and 556 being the exception, 1000 rounds of 22 seems to be danger-low....keeping inventory over 1000 rounds of 556 can get expensive?)

I'm sort of re-thinking, is 1,000 rounds of each caliber way too low if the SHTF?

What does everyone HONESTLY think a good number of base rounds is based on cost/benefit/current events?

Define SHTF are we able to stay with our supply?
I think I have more than enough I can manage by ways of storage transport and access.

To hold out on a shortage and still be able to go to the range. I'm good for range fun with 22lr for a good long while.
I can cast cheap bullets for my others if needed.

If I can't stay in my home and close to supply having several thousand rounds of anything but 22 will be a waste next to food and water ?

"I don't know if it is still good, it's been here for quite a while!" I told him that I'd take my chances. [rofl]

I've shot mucho ammo that was older than that kid was!

No shit. I love when i hear people say they are afraid if their ammo "going bad". Its not a banana. If I have this stuff 60+ years ill start rotating the stock.

I always aim for as much as I'm allowed before i need a permit from the fire dept. Don't forget about stocking up on reloading supplies too.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom