• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The one gun that always "wows" you

Freedom Arms 454 Casull Premier Grade w 10.5" Octagonal Barrel in polished stainless 2.5 lb trigger
My favorite CC !

FA3a.jpg

That would be my 1998 G17. I bought it brand new. I have beat the crap out of that gun. I never clean it. It looks like $hit. It's got holster rash. It's bone stock and never had a part replaced in it. It's probably got about 8000 rounds through it, but who keeps count? To this day it doesn't matter what I feed it, cheapest crap ammo I can find or the most expensive personal protection ammo you can buy. It eats it all. Never once has this pistol failed to perform. I love that gun. And it will be 20 years old next year.

The Sig P938. Probably because it's new, but it's like driving a high powered sports car. My bil's Winchester model 62 pump 22. I just love that gun. I'll get one one of these days.

I'm always amazed by the practical accuracy of my M1 Garand. Built in the 50's, open sights and I can easily hit a beer can offhand at 100 yards. Such a fun rifle to shoot.

Classic Sig DA guns. Been shooting 229s for ages. Never picked up one that performed any worse than another, and I can do unholy things with them. Funny when I first was told I would be carrying one, I was pissed at the lack of safety, skeptical of the weight of initial trigger pull, and displeased with the capacity in 357sig or 40sw for such a heavy pistol. Love them now.

I would put the 44VH at the top of my list also, though in my case my brother inherited one from my dad. My brother and I flipped a coin then took turns splitting the collection, IIRC he won and picked the DW first. Glad its in the family. Probably not this year but eventually I'll start seriously looking for one just like it.

Beautiful finish, action smooth as glass, and very accurate. I have a 80's S&W 686 that has been worked over and will drive tacks even with me behind it. I even won our club's last pistol bullseye match with it. I like the 686 very much and will never sell it, but it's still my second favorite revolver after the DW.

Ended up getting my 'wow' gun last year:

001 DW 44VH.jpg

This is going to sound stupid, but I'd have to say it's the Remington 870. Very common, but shoots so well for an inexpensive gun.

f7hvFNE.jpg

My S&W model 625, 5" barrel, 45ACP, I don't shoot it often enough but when I do I can't stop smiling.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My all time favorite pistol is my German made Sig P-225. I have been shooting 9mm pistols since the early 80's and have never owned a 9mm pistol more accurate than my P-225. It has outshot my G-17, H&K USP 9 and my Beretta 92FS, to name just a few. What makes this pistol so accurate is a mystery to me.

Never fired one, but the German Luger. Guess i watched too many "Combat" episodes as a kid!

I have several that could qualify, but right now I gotta say my Model 1896 Krag rifle. The Krag has the smoothest action I've ever felt on a bolt action rifle, and it is just a great gun to shoot.

Been thinking for a minute or two, and honest to God can't narrow it down. Would depend on the task at hand I guess. The one that every single guest likes the best, and other folks at the range comment the most on is far and away the .357 1894 though.

My all time favorite pistol is my German made Sig P-225. I have been shooting 9mm pistols since the early 80's and have never owned a 9mm pistol more accurate than my P-225. It has outshot my G-17, H&K USP 9 and my Beretta 92FS, to name just a few. What makes this pistol so accurate is a mystery to me.

I couldn't agree more because I own one myself. IMHO these all metal German made pistols are definitely a cut above these newer polymer pistols.

My woes are believing my dad when he said all those surplus guns are junk! Oh and passing one colt snake guns when they where just another revolver.

IMG_2994.jpg Big boy guns aren't for everyone, but this thing stoppeds a range cold and I love the power!!!! 3 bucks a squeeze sucks but hey I'm going to work Monday anyway

I have two that "wow" me. A German made Sig P226 I bought in 1997 and a Ruger Mark II bought in 1989. Still working well and still accurate.

guns that wow me, and i don't own one (yet), is anything made by les baer, both pistols or long guns. had a chance to fondle the black baer 9mm and his new 10mm recently.....wow!

My Garand. Nothing special from a collectors pov really. Springfield, GI wood, nice patina. I think I like the heft of it and the fact that its got old wood furniture. Ive worked with wood most of my life, so maybe that has something to do with it. Enough recoil to let you know youre shooting, but not so much that it bothers me. I cant see myself ever letting it go.

As far as handguns, I just got into revolvers this past summer. Im liking the Ruger Blackhawk in 45 colt. Components are easy to work with, (I find I get annoyed loading 9mm, too small) I can load it anywhere from pop-gun to pushing 44 Mag. Single action makes for a nice, slo-mo, enjoyable range trip, and no chasing brass afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom