The Next Gun Law Listening Tour Date: 03/20 in Worcester @ Gosh Science Center

michaelpelosillc

Dealer
NES Member
For those that are interested or may want to attend, the next Gun Law Listening Tour date is 03/20 in Worcester. There is no central hub for these dates or locations, as this one was rescheduled from 03/14. This tour data involves a conversation about the intersection of gun violence and domestic violence.

If you're not familiar with the "tour," supposedly these events will be used when crafting further gun legislation in Massachusetts. The last tour date at Cape Cod Community College involved lots of talking, very little listening, and a panelist (subject matter expert) who left with the impression that she maybe didn't understand the purpose of the event. But there was a strong showing by the MA 2A community overall, henceforth the very little listening and lots of talking.

I've reached out to numerous members of the legislature, including Rep. Day and my State Senator and expressed the ethical considerations for using taxpayer dollars to fund a tour that doesn't announce its dates or locations in any reasonable amount of time.

TkOMEiv.jpeg

I have contacted Rep. Day's office as well as other members of the judiciary. There is no virtual option. I was told, however, the commentary can be submitted and Rep. Day will read each submission. There is a significant attitude change in my communications with those who work for the legislature after the 1st event didn't go as planned.

I also found out that the colleges and media organizations are not charging any fees to host/promote/cover these events. I wonder if they extend that gesture of good faith to other organizations or topics?

How so? More or less adversarial?
At first, I got the sentiment that this tour was happening full steam ahead and was directly told that the input from the panelists + the crowd would be used to shape "safe and responsible firearms policies." Basically, I was lectured why this is a good thing and to wait until I get my chance to speak. Now, there is zero talk about shaping firearms policy in communications, no desire to discuss it, talk about inclusivity, and an effort to make the dates more well known in advance.

Overall, still dismissive but less adversarial.

In my opinion, Rep. Day's office thought this was going to be a slam dunk anti-gun fest. It's clear he's trying to make himself the new anti-gun superstar because it's a proven path to raising your profile in Massachusetts politics.

We went through this once before. If you need to catch up, read here:

We went through this once before. If you need to catch up, read here:

Thanks. I had seen the 12/13 stuff before. So far, this is far less organized and the crowds seem smaller. Kind of a double edged sword. But I did get the sentiment that the legislature routinely underestimates the pro-2A population in MA, even if not all hold an LTC.

Back
Top Bottom