• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The new, long-awaited 22 cal. . . .

new22cal.jpg

Are these the casings of the new, long-awaited 22 cal. rimfire?

Can anyone explain the “double base” on these shells?

Live and Learn . . .

jim/boston ~ Looks more like an out of battery situation. May be time to clean the chamber.............

new22cal.jpg

You are so right Jim, I’m ashamed to admit! I don’t know what happened many years ago when I cleaned and put the pistol away but I failed to clean the barrel. The barrel is usually the first item I clean but not this time. The gun looked great, cleaned and oiled and before loading or shooting I always check to see that no obstruction is in the barrel.

When I had the gun raised to target level I thumbed the slide stop down and “BLAM” ! ! The gun when off . . . I thought to myself “I can’t believe I had my finger on the trigger, I’ve never done that before!” The casing ejected fine and it chambered the next round. I ejected that round and eyeballed the ammo and gun and couldn’t see the trouble, so I thought I had my finger on the trigger and must have pulled it when I thumbed the slide stop down.

I should have found the ejected casing but didn’t and loaded another magazine. This time I know my trigger finger was nowhere inside the trigger guard. When I raised the gun and thumbed the slide stop down “BLAM” again! Well that was it, I new that the round was firing before the shell was completely seated so away went the gun and when I found the fired casings they were proof of the “slamfire”. The casing not seating in the chamber and the bolt slaming, crushing and firing the round.

When I went to clean the barrel I couldn’t believe that the small amount of carbon buildup had caused this. That buildup was so hard from sitting for years that it took quite a while to get rid of it, it was like cement!

I think I’ve learned my lesson, inspect more thoroughly and run a patch down the bore, it only takes a few minutes. [rolleyes]

Last edited:
Wierd. What gun was it in? Just curious. Those must be the new Double Base Super Ignition Rimfire rounds!!
"Those must be the new Double Base Super Ignition Rimfire rounds!!" [rofl]

HSSupermaticCitation.jpg

curlymaple42 ~ Pictured is my bullseye gun, it has been flawless as far as accuracy and dependability is concerned. The trouble I had was my fault alone, not any fault of the gun. The High Standard Supermatic Citation is a excellent competition gun and has never given me a hint of trouble over many years.
I misstated in my original post that I “thumbed” the slide stop down when I actually used the index finger of my weak hand to manipulate the slide stop.​

Last edited:
Well, that is interesting. I must admit, ahem, that I may know of such things through *personal* experience LOL! Actually, my M11/9 TELLS me when it is time to clean the chamber by doing that to my 9mm brass. I spoke with Gordon Ingram at Knob Creek and he verified that a dirty chamber will cause pre-ignition and OOB discharge. I have a WerBell Sionics suppressor and sometimes we get so carried away shooting that we neglect to scrub the chamber and, well, you know what happens! Heres a vid of TikTock shooting my M/11

http://www.schottknives.com/mg/4.MPG

Heres a vid of me without the suppressor

http://www.schottknives.com/mg/10.MPG

The sound sig is MUCH more pronounced in person

Last edited:
ahem, that I may know of such things through *personal* experience LOL! Actually, my M11/9 TELLS me when it is time to clean the chamber by doing that to my 9mm brass.

jim/boston ~ I didn't know 9mm could crush down to give a double base appearance like the 22 did. I'd like to see a photo of a crushed 9mm if possible. Thanks for the videos they're rather interesting. Where did you acquire the stock for that rascal, if I may ask?

I don't think I've ever photographed it, but it has happened on more than one occasion. I bought the stock at a gun show in the early 90's; the wire stock used to scare me that it would collapse and I (or one of my shooting buds) would have wild-assed M11/9 throwing lead around at 1000 rpm. Didja notice the 50 round Lanchester mag conversion?
I found this pic online; not mine but same situation
OOB.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom