1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

The New Generation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by richc, Sep 10, 2019.

1. The5thDentist

The5thDentist NES Life Member NES Member

2. Super99Z

Super99Z NES Member

Have you ever heard about this river in Egypt? People aren't raised in a vacuum. They learn from their parents and what influences their parents allow in their lives. Older people do raise young ones right? Not the other way around. Looks like your buddies aren't as good of parents as you think. Book-smarts and college degrees to hang on the wall do not equal automatic good parents.

The5thDentist likes this.
  3. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

I do not think this has to do with a new generation.

I was just like them. There were so many alarms that I have decided to ignore them also. This lasted until I experienced one real fire in the hotel in Toronto. That one was my private lesson. In that hotel you could not open windows, but once I have opened the door the entire room filled immediately with a black smoke. You know, when they tell you to follow the exit sign, they are incorrect, right? You see nothing! What they should tell you is to memorize where to exit the floor because you will see nothing. That was exactly my case. I went into a bathroom and took a wet towel which I wrapped around my nose and my mouth and then I crawled down the hallway. No flames, just smoke was killing me. I was lucky to crawl in the right direction towards the exit. Staircase was full of people who were moving very slowly down.

From that time I take all alarms seriously and I always look which way is the exit, just in case, I will need to use it.

Al-Jim19, AHM, Palladin and 2 others like this.
  4. richc

richc NES Member

I know two of these families extremely well. And the other well enough.

I've raised three children into smart, successful adults. I navigated their young lives around good and bad friends and saw that bad parents often create bad children. Yeah, I have decades of experience dealing with other families and children.

Do you know these people? Are your judgments based upon real world interactions? My son spent a great deal of time hanging at one of their homes. Another I met at the shooting range and most of the time he had Mom and/or Dad shooting with him. That's one of the reasons I hire and trained him. He showed great respect towards his parents, is smart, and was always polite.

Dude, it's not always the parents. Today's younger generation often does not take responsibility. Sounds like you don't take responsibility wanting to point the finger at someone else.

Judge only what you know really well, and even then be very careful. Stay in your lane unless you're intimately knowledgable about a situation. Your generalizations don't cut it.

Just wondering... will you be voting for Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren?

5. sigfanboy13

sigfanboy13

I remember living in the dorm in college on the 8th floors. We once had a night with 5 alarms during finals. After the 3rd alarm, I stayed in. I'd rather burn them walk another 32 flights of stairs at 4am with a final at 8. Apparently alot of other kids shared the same sentiment because you could see less of them outside for each alarm. You can be numbed to these things.

6. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

Based on my age, I am in this "New Generation" except my parents actually cared so they tought me well.

Anyway... fire drill at work, alarm goes off, everyone walks out. We were working in an office inside an old factory.

So, the first thing I do is walk far away from the building to a big empty parkinglot where there are no obstructions. If a firetruck or ambulance comes, they will see me.

I get yelled at by two 60 year old that I was not in the fire drill designated area.

So I walk over to the area and wait for them to stop talking and then point out that their designated area was a f***ing death trap ... my boss was like "dude, WTF are you doing?" ... but I was going to speak my mind:

1. The designated area was through a ONE WAY street, that was just wide enough for one vehicle between the building and the Charles River.

2. The designated area was IN BETWEEN 3 buildings that were all connected.

3. If the buildings were on fire, we wouldnt be able to escape and chances are someone would get run over by an emergency vehicle since there was no room.

Of course, I got my pepe slapped and told to not question the protocol again.

A week later ... they changed the fire drill and told everyone to go to the empty parking lot.

Moral of the story:

1. The older generation raised the new one. You f*cked up and now try to blame them. Its your fault.

2. The older generation doesnt always know what is best.

3. Threads blaming other generations are pretty retarded. Specially when started by the generation that should have educated the one they are blaming.

KVX, 10thSFFD and The5thDentist like this.
  7. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

Add a Klaxon horn to the fire alarm. This will get the most 'stuck' individual out-doors...

8. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

Blaming subsequent Generations was passed down from the Generation that came before Us.
    The mantle will be passed on to you youngsters someday too.
    It is perpetual, eternal and separates us from the Other Animals in the Zoo.

9. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

My first order of business when checking into a hotel is to make note of means of egress, and doors count from mine to it.

Palladin and 10thSFFD like this.
  10. Super99Z

Super99Z NES Member

The irony of this statement is lost on you. According to you these individuals were taught all the correct things in life but ended up this way because of the generation they are in, yet I am the one generalizing.

Today's older generation often does not take responsibility.

The5thDentist likes this.
  11. richc

richc NES Member

I may not always be right but I'm never wrong...

12. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

I liked your post a lot. Thank you! You are correct.

My parents were exhausted. They have been fighting all their lives. First war, occupation, another war, communists, Soviet Union, .....They did not have time for us. We were growing up outside. I came from the school, dropped the bag, and went outside. That was about it. At 15 I was dragged into a military training and at 18 I was in the communist Air Force.

I would not blame any generations. Each generation has it's own specific challenges they can't prepare for.

Broccoli Iglesias likes this.
  13. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

The Nuge-Generation got cat scratch fever.

14. Palladin

Palladin NES Member

this. in fact, when I used to travel a lot in the 80s, I had a battery operated smoke detector which hung over the door. I wasn't f*cking around, I had friends die in a house fire in Eastie when I was 12..

15. richc

richc NES Member

I have no qualm with what you did. Personally I'd thank you for making a solid suggestion and execute it, while giving you credit for the idea. You got out of a building when you're supposed to, dude.

And maybe blaming the entire generation is a mistake. These three knuckleheads are all about the same age and come from the same socio-economic backgrounds. All college grads. All very smart. And I stand by the assertion they were really well raised.

Now if my kids ignored a fire alarm they'd hear from me. They know that. If I was dead and in the grave I'd dig my way out, find them, and smack them upside the head.

Things like this go up my ass sideways. I'm pretty laid back about most stuff, but safety comes first. At work or the gun range, we follow the safety rules. Even if they don't matter most of the time. The rules are an accumulation of wisdom over time. Fire alarms are one of those times you just act... period. Even if 99/100 times they are BS, there's always that chance with potentially life altering or life ending consequences.

:)

10thSFFD and Broccoli Iglesias like this.
  16. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

The kids are f-ing idiots. I will give you that.

17. AHM

AHM NES Member

My 11th grade Business Law teacher was also a county fire marshal.
    Fancy badge in a leather wallet and everything.

One day the alarm goes off,
    and he hasn't gotten one of those memos he detested
    which alerted the faculty to a drill.
    (He thought the teachers deserved to be
    just as surprised as the students).

He got deathly serious, intimated that the next person to talk
    was going to be spitting out their teeth, sniffed at the doorway for smoke,
    and then locked us in the room.

After the hallways were deserted,
    he had us exit the building double-file
    in sepulchral silence.

It was a false alarm.

When we were back in class,
    he explained that in the case of an actual fire,
    all the students lead by the dumbass teachers would panic,
    and dozens would be killed in the stampede.
    But that was not going to happen to his class on his watch.

I prefer the Pulp Fiction version:
    "No one who'll be missed".​

Because the cruise line should court a ginormous Coast Guard fine because you've got ants in your pants?

Disney Cruise Lines used to have their drill a fraction of an hour after reaching the open sea.
    Now it's dockside.

On the other hand, we used to muster wearing our actual PFDs.
    Now we just watch the analogue of a stewardess seat-cushion demo.

Maybe your dumbass boss is supposed to be counting heads.

Back in the day, the parking lot for DEC HL in Hudson, MA
    had a safe-radius line painted on the asphalt,
    and labeled assembly areas at the far end of the lot.

But with the hazmat in the semiconductor fabs,
    some people's plan was,
    "when you reach the stone wall at the property line,
    just keep running".

enbloc likes this.
  18. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Want to confuse a big employer?

Wait until the next memo comes out about taking fire alarms seriously. Ask if "seriously" means you are authorized to egress by entering an unattended exit* with an opening alarm on it or if you should take the extra time to leave through one of the regular authorized for normal use portals.

* - Using the federal definition of an egress as an entrance to an exit.

AHM likes this.
  19. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Good think nobody reported a gas leak in the house.

20. AHM

AHM NES Member

LOL. Not every fire alarm is for a fire.

21. new guy

new guy NES Member

My office, which is in the tallest building in New England, makes fire drill participation voluntary. Don’t want to participate? You don’t have to. The drills are seen as too disruptive to client work, as if sitting through a meeting or call with the alarm blaring for 10 minutes isn’t disruptive.

In fact we have an all-building drill scheduled for this morning, with all 62 floors emptying to the street. When the alarms go off I’ll be one of the ones charged with herding people out, but the reality is that most will just stay home until it’s over and come in late, or they’ll go in their office and close the door until the alarms stop.

AHM likes this.
  22. Al-Jim19

Al-Jim19

Every year I make the following statement to NES:

There are literally 5000 year old stone tablets that begin with “Kids these days...”. There are Medieval manuscripts that are dedicated to that same idea. There are parchments written with quill and ink from the 18th century espousing the superiority of old people and describing the silly things younger people do.

People havent changed all that much over the last 5000 years.

23. new guy

new guy NES Member

People have absolutely changed, what hasn’t changed so much is the inter generational relationship, though even that aspect gets less true as technological advancement accelerates.

24. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

Did you call the fire department? They turn them off. A 4 floor apartment SHOULD have been hard wired if in Massachusetts, but calling the FD is always a good move.

Excellent point! Always try the door unless there is a warning sign saying the alarm will go off is opened.

Now, advanced fire escape training. Once in a stairway and moving down, you are locked into that stairway. Getting back into a floor, the fire door is locked from the stairwell. If the fire is below you and the stairway is getting smokey, you need a method to leave that stairway and cross to another. Here is the tool you need. Carry it in your checked luggage and take it with you if you leave via a stairway in an emergency. It's easy to use and will open a fire door in short order.

Multi Purpose tool: $9 on Amazon.

multi purpose tool.jpg

Having a can of expanding foam insulation does wonders.

AHM and 10thSFFD like this.