1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

The New Generation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by richc, Sep 10, 2019.

1. richc

richc NES Member

So we just had a fire alarm go off in our building. There's construction going on so we figured that was the source.

I wander around the office just to make sure we didn't have any employees left hanging around (including one fella who is partially deaf). Sometimes they have headphones on playing music while programming.

Here's three of them at computer stations on their lunch hours. They are playing Fortnite.

Me: You guys hear that noise? The fire alarm?

Them: Yup...

Me: Ummm... that's a universal signal for get the f*ck out of the building...

Them: Yup, we know...

Me: Let's go. Games over

Them: But there's only 4 people left in the game. We could win.

Me: WTF is wrong with you??? GTFO!!!

Them: OK...

Yup, that's the new generation in a nutshell.

:-(

2. Super99Z

Super99Z NES Member

I would blame your generation for all the fire and emergency drills in schools. Don't forget the older generations raised the younger generations, So if they are morons guess who is to blame.....

3. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

You need to send them this.... [rofl]

(nsfw)

4. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

Those are the people who might find themselves trapped in an actual fire someday....and the blame for theor deaths or injury will be shifted to anyone and everyone but them.

richc likes this.
  5. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

I'd have left them...

Retards.

6. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

The funny thing is, their plan to stay in the building during an alarm is probably going to work out fine for them. It works great, until it doesn't.

When I'm at work, I leave the building during an alarm because the company requires it and they'll do bad things to me. Plus, I kind of like the break and the fresh air... hey, I have a good excuse for not getting work done! When I used to live in apartments long ago, everyone ignored those alarms. I'd open the door, peer out, not see any flames... great, I'm good to go.

7. richc

richc NES Member

Yup, sure, blame everyone else but the responsible parties. You must be one of them...

:)

8. SonOfAGun

SonOfAGun NES Member

I'm not sure this is generational...

At my first place of employment after college, I usually sat with the folks on my team at lunch. Once, the fire alarm went off and I rushed up to go outside. The two older gentleman at lunch didn't move an inch. When asked if they were going outside, they said that it was probably a false alarm and they'd rather not waste the effort.

In the OP the excuse was a video game. In my anecdote the excuse was laziness. But if there's an actual fire, I'm sure the flames don't care about excuses or generations - they'll burn all the same.

Whiskeywon likes this.
  9. enbloc

When the fire-fighters show up and ask "Is everyone out?"

The answer is always: "Everyone that matters..."

Fritz the Cat, AHM and richc like this.
  10. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

As is discussed often, based on my childhood TV and training at school, I'd have thought quicksand and catching on fire would be a lot more common than it really is.

I was on a cruise ship once. They won't leave until EVERYONE has been through the lifeboat drills. Cappin-PLEASE! As if if this mofo is sinking, it's gonna matter which of these Yellow Submarine lookin things I get in like you checkin boxes and s-word!

Prepper likes this.
  11. enbloc

OP, without saying a word, you could have produced a can of WD-40 and a lighter for full-effect...

[​IMG]

"Yes Chief, everyone's out ... now."

dingbat likes this.
  12. jpk

jpk

There's no shortage of darwin awards candidates in the world

Gak44, richc and toekneepea like this.
  13. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Way back in college days, I lived in a crappy apartment building in Boston. It had 4 floors, probably a couple dozen units per floor. False alarms from cooking were common. Anyway, I was actually there one Thanksgiving day with no place to go. Due to someone somewhere in the building cooking their Thanksgiving meal there, the alarms were sounding. No one was coming to turn them off, or anything. People are here trying to have a good time with their family and such, and at least an hour going by with these extremely loud alarms. It was very unpleasant.

Anyway, I'm sitting here pissed off at these nonstop alarms and nothing I can do about it. Then, I hear someone go out into the hallway from another unit. I hear a smash! And then the alarms are somewhat quieter. I hear footsteps running down the hall and the stairs to another floor, followed by another smash! And, it's now 50% quieter in the building than it was a minute ago. This repeats 2 more times, and then I hear silence. Ahhhh!! It was wonderful. Someone actually took the axe that was mounted next to the fire extinguisher and "turned off" the alarm on each floor. LOL.

drgrant likes this.
  14. drgrant

My parents had a neighbor that had a burglar alarm system that sounded for 3 days, continuously. They were gone on vacation, the Cops came but basically said there was nothing they could do. The alarm sounder was like maybe, 30 feet from where my parents bedroom was, so needless to say, they were pissed. When I went over there and heard the racket my mother said to me "Michael do you have a gun that could destroy that?" I was like "yeah but I don't want to get arrested for it". Thankfully about 3 hours later the neighbors came back and disabled the thing, because I probably would have gone over there with a ladder and a sledgehammer and "deleted" it from the side
    of their house. It was this shitty old 70s nutone alarm system that half the houses in the neighborhood had that the builder installed on them. It had a flashing beacon on it and a horn under it that was like this low sounding pulsating growl type thing that was annoying as hell, thankfully it was only moderately loud, which is probably why nobody else went over there and destroyed it.

-Mike

richc and Prepper like this.
  15. richc

richc NES Member

I know all of these guys parents. Just told one of them I'm going to call his mother...

The look on his face was priceless!

:)

16. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

Yep, good to go.....until the building is levelled by a gas explosion.:D

Twigg likes this.
  17. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

This winter there was a fire alarm at the ski timeshare. They made everyone get out of the pool/hot tub and go back inside

18. Twigg

Twigg NES Member

how quickly people forget.

19. Dadstoys

Dadstoys NES Member

Natural selection.
    Just wave on the way by.

20. TheMick

TheMick

Meh if it’s my time it’s my time

Better off it being at work atleast someone will get paid

21. edmxz2002

edmxz2002 NES Member

At a company I used to work at, if you didn't get out of the building quickly, you got a week off without pay. Second time, fired.

richc likes this.
  22. richc

richc NES Member

23. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

The new generation are not programmed on basic manners:

"Good morning"
    "Good night"
    "Please. Thank you."
    etc.

I don't think it's their fault, they're just not TAUGHT these things anymore. Occasionally, I'll come across a youngin that was raised right.

enbloc, drgrant and Sauer Grapes like this.
  24. drgrant

I think often, most of the fire alarm stuff is overblown, but they do it because you have to be consistent about it in larger buildings. For example if I was on a ground floor with a lab that had egress to the outside what the f*** do I need to participate in a fire drill for? If the alarm goes off I could just walk outside. On the other hand if I worked in a high rise office building you bet your ass I'm getting out if that alarm goes off, it's not like I'm just going to be able to jump out the window and not die. Or if i was on a ship or something and an alarm goes off, you bet your ass I'm following an emergency procedure related to that.

That said, IMHO its also a courtesy thing- for example in my case I know the alarms are often bogus or drills (although we did once have a kid set a fume hood ablaze on the other side of the complex) but I do it out of respect for my employer and not wanting my boss or his boss to get in trouble because "some a**h*** in your department was still in the building while we were clearing it" etc. If your employer tells you to get the f*** out when the fire alarm goes off, you do it! It just makes life easier for everyone.

-Mike

enbloc likes this.
  25. Sauer Grapes

Sauer Grapes NES Member

^^ When my kids were very young, going out for a family dinner was a great time. The waitstaff (and some diners) would always comment on their manners and behavior. I know my grandkids will be the same. I'm proud of all of them.

26. browncoat

browncoat

Somewhere along the boomer/gen x continuum, people fully bought into the enlightenment idea that people were naturally good and didn't need to be trained into being decent human beings. Rousseau was wrong, and we are seeing proof of that all around us. FWIW, I'm a millennial and people comment on how well behaved my kids are because I believe in teaching them how to act. They say please and thank you - because I insist they do even though they are toddlers.

27. tuna

tuna NES Member

This isn't a generational thing - this is just a people are retards thing.
    A fire alarm is my cue to leave - no questions, no worries, no delay, I'm gone. And people think I'm weird for it - retards of all ages.

6 or so years ago I brought my baby son to the doctor, the office was on the second floor of a hospital. The fire alarm goes off, I asked the receptionist (baby boomer age) if it was a drill, she said she'd check. I'm gone - out the door and down the stairs, on the way out, I asked the security guard if it was a drill and he said no, but it WAS a false alarm. When I went back to the office, the receptionist said that she called me and asked why I left. I said there was a fire alarm. She told me it was a false alarm. I told her if she was stupid enough to wait for the "it's really real" call, she can effing burn, but I'm not hanging around. She ended the conversation by saying that I could go in because the doctor is waiting.

Around the same time, I was in walmart and the fire alarm goes off. My wife and I are Gen X. I grabbed my wife, got the kids out of the cart, and headed for the side exit. My wife said "what about our stuff?" Told her it wasn't ours, it was walmart's and they can keep it. Then she was afraid we'd get in trouble for using the emergency exit - because of the alarm. I reminded her that this WAS an emergency. In her defense, she just had had a kid, so she was still hormonally imbalanced.

Was in the mall a couple months ago, and the fire alarm goes off, and NO ONE moved. Me and the kids were in the food court, grabbing some food. Out of line and out the door we go. I could actually hear people snickering that I was leaving, holding two kids by the hand and saying "Go, now, fast but calm, closest exit, let's move." Kids did well, no panic, they just accepted we leave if the place is on fire. Got outside and called security, asked for Gecko45 who wasn't in (mall ninja thread), and asked if it was real. Was told no, so we went back in. My son asked why I didn't call from inside, and I said that we get safe first, then find out details.

My daughter had a fire drill at school. She was in the hall instead of a class and she just followed the first class she found until she was out. Then she found her own class. Other kids in the same situation go back to their classroom to catch up with the class. They both are doing what they've been taught.

On a funny note; I was appointed the building's "Wing evacuation monitor" a couple years ago - I asked for a gun and whistle but only got a hat. Anyway, I was taking a crap and there was an announcement that I couldn't hear in the can that said they'd be testing the fire alarms. When they tested the fire alarm, I grabbed my hat and looked around, no one was doing anything, at all! I know now that they heard the announcement, but I thought they were just stupid - it's an honest mistake. I leaned into a co-worker's cubicle and yelled in my "PO'd dad voice" "GET OUT" - she jumped a mile and looked like a cat on a screen door. I didn't like her anyway, and kind of hoped I'd get to use the AED. My boss came out and told me to stop yelling at people, it was a test. Oooops - my bad. I actually told him that I thought she was just being a dumbass, and he laughed.

allen-1 likes this.
  28. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Massachusetts is to blame I am sure. That us the fall back answer to all our woes.

29. BobR51

BobR51

Well you know they get a participation award for everything now. So yeah, I blame the school system. Glad we home schooled.

30. richc

richc NES Member

I know all three of their parents. They are all wonderful people. Truly great human beings. All very smart, with educations from MIT, Harvard and Oxford. 3 of the 6 have Phd's. They are deeply caring parents.

All of them were raised in strict households with loving, supporting parents.

If I told their parents they'd catch hell today. Even though they are in their early 30's.

In this case it's not the way they were raised. It's an attitude...

SKumar and drgrant like this.