• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The more I shoot, the worse I get

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
Sometimes I just bring a milsurp to play with and other times I just bring my carry guns to practice with.

For carry practice I usually set up two paper plates on the target stand, one above the other to simulate a chest and a head at about 50 feet.

Virutally everytime I go to practice, the first round of three shots will always hit two in the body, one in the head.... and it goes downhill from there. The more I shoot the worse I get.

The previous time I went, I took my milsurps for an afternoon of shooting.

Just before I left, I took out my CS45, turned, fired at a circle target I had, and put 5 shots touching at 50 feet:

target.jpg

The second mag was horrible. Then I went home.

I guess I'm lucky that I'm pretty good with the first shots off as maybe that will get the job done in a SHTF scenario. But it's a little bothersome that I can't follow up better.

What's the answer? Anyone else have this problem?

better hearing protection, maybe? Are you flinching because of muzzle blast? What are you using for hearing protection? If it's plugs or a headset alone, try adding the other so you have both plugs and a headset.

Just guessin',

Ross

I hate to say it but I have this problem too. I'm in the middle of a long slump (a few months).

The only gun I shoot well is my Ruger 10/22. So does this mean that I become too unsteady with a pistol, or does it mean that I'm recoil sensitive since the 2nd best gun I shoot is also a .22, or does it mean that it's all in my head and I put too much pressure on myself when I go up to higher calibers? It's anybody's guess.

I have gotten some strange advice on how to cope with my problem and so far none of it is really working. But yes, I start out well and then get worse.

Frustrating isn't it? Let me know what advice, if any, you get privatlely. I could use it.

dwarven1 said:
better hearing protection, maybe? Are you flinching because of muzzle blast? What are you using for hearing protection? If it's plugs or a headset alone, try adding the other so you have both plugs and a headset.

Just guessin',

Ross

I use electronic muffs. I really think the noise has nothing to do with it as I shoot quite a bit and shoot big stuff. Honestly, as I think about it I can't say I'm even aware of the blast or the recoil, I'm so used to shooting.

Rifle shooting stays constant or I get better as I go but I almost always start out really good with a handgun and go downhill as I shoot.

Pilgrim your problem sounds like my problem. Maybe we should get together some time and watch each other shoot to see what we start out doing right and then lose as time goes on...

SiameseRat said:
Pilgrim your problem sounds like my problem. Maybe we should get together some time and watch each other shoot to see what we start out doing right and then lose as time goes on...

You could setup a video cam on yourself (use a tripod, aim at your shooting position) then review the tape later to see what works and what doesn't. I'll bet it is something subtle that'll be more obvious in the tape than any other way that you might try to use to diagnose it.

LenS said:
SiameseRat said:

You could setup a video cam on yourself (use a tripod, aim at your shooting position) then review the tape later to see what works and what doesn't. I'll bet it is something subtle that'll be more obvious in the tape than any other way that you might try to use to diagnose it.

Len that doesn't sound like a bad idea, now I just need to find a video camera. I think another one of my problems is that everyone I shoot with is a really close friend so it's harder to take criticism or advice.

Well, don't know where you live SR...I mean, I think that I remember that you're on the Red line somewhere.

But I have a digi Video camera. So if you ever want to borrow it, and you're close. You're more than welcome. Just let me know.

I wonder if it's just becoming tired from large recoil firearms.

Pilgrim, possibly you are shooting against your own expectations. It would appear that marksmanship is not the problem as your initial results are quite good. Trying to surpass your first string could lead to tension and frustration. If you could make a game of some sort out of your shooting, it may help you to relax. I would also suggest that you not shoot in front of an audience if at all possible. Last but not least have fun.

I don't try to surpass my first rounds, I just try to keep it close. However I end up all over the place... and I mean all over the target.

Most of the time, I'm either alone or with one of my sons. We have a very quiet range with seldom anyone else there, so I don't think it's pressure or distraction from those around me.

I guess I'll just have to practice more. Sounds like a horrible solution doesn't it ? :)

Back
Top Bottom