• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

the mill in littleton directory

You can go do that at any number of regular gun stores where the owners aren't there for a few hours in the evening after work with a line of customers out the door with cash in hand.
Please define "regular gun stores", as opposed to these gun stores. Maybe this is where the confusion lies.

Funny, because it is this same NES where people say to new people who are looking for a new gun to go and try holding different ones, and see what feels comfortable and good, and fits your particular hand and style. How does one do that, yet follow the above advice? People want to compare A to B, and then C to D, then A to D, then ask some questions and find out why maybe B is better for their needs than the others, then they can try to try one out. Those are the customers who will come back and buy there, again and again. Get ignored, and they will take their money and do business elsewhere.

Are you talking about yourself?

Just stick to 4Seasons.

Please define "regular gun stores", as opposed to these gun stores. Maybe this is where the confusion lies.
It's not really a binary. It's that some smaller, one man operation shops, like those at the Mill aren't the places to go and expect 100% hand holding, talking about your entire gun wish list over the phone, etc. Although, I have made several purchase from KAG Arms, Defensive Dynamics and other mill stores as a noob and did not have a negative experience.

This isn't exclusive to gun shops. Any small independent, part time outfit isn't going to have a separate customer service and sales department with their own call center.

I'm not a gun expert but I know about cars. So if I want to go buy a specific model used car, and I know what I want and what I am looking at, I'm not going to go to a new car dealer and pay a premium for the overhead and experience. The car dealership and salesman are for people who don't really know what they want, they need to be sold something. Basic car sales is identifying the customer's need. You are paying for the overhead of the dealership and the experience of dealing with a nice facility, people to schedule you an appointment, waiting room, guy in a suit who is going to help you with the entire process. I'm probably going to look on FB or Craigslist where I'll have to sift thru some BS, deal with a guy who doesn't work at a car dealership with a team behind him who doesn't sit around at a dealership open 9-6pm every day.... BUT I'll find the car I want in the condition I want it in, and probably pay a better price than what the new car dealership is selling it for.

Regular gun stores are Four Seasons, Cabela's, B&H, Gun Parlor, etc. They're full time gun stores.

As opposed to the mill where dealers have regular day jobs and only work at the gun stores in their spare time.

Not only that but even with the short hours some dealers at the mill have long lines of customers - I completely understand why they don't want to make a dozen paying customers stand around and wait while a window shopper tries handling a bunch of different guns.

I'll make some calls but I thought someone in this thread may know. I know a few of the dealers at the mill but don't know which ones do basic gunsmithing work. I have a Colt 1911A1 (series 80) that I need a front sight installed and staked. Any thoughts on which dealers at the mill may do this type of work? I have called a few gun shops already (none at the Mill) and so far none of them will do it.
I know this is the mill thread but I know you’re on the north shore. Have you contacted Steve at northeast arms in Peabody?

Who's got the garage door/shop area with all the newspaper clippings taped on the wall? He offers some expensive ammo for sale...
Some old timer.

He had a magazine that looks like something I have been looking for. I picked it up, and it was all rusty on the bottom, and the plastic sheet it was on also showed where it was laying in a puddle of water. I think he wanted 25 bucks. I asked if he knew it was all rusty. He then said he would raise the price to 30! [laugh][laugh] Next time I went back, I took my gun to see if it was a match, but he wasn't there. The garage sale was not on that day I guess.

I'll make some calls but I thought someone in this thread may know. I know a few of the dealers at the mill but don't know which ones do basic gunsmithing work. I have a Colt 1911A1 (series 80) that I need a front sight installed and staked. Any thoughts on which dealers at the mill may do this type of work? I have called a few gun shops already (none at the Mill) and so far none of them will do it.
Have you tried Mike Larocca in Worcester? Does Greg Derr do this sort of thing?

Some old timer.

He had a magazine that looks like something I have been looking for. I picked it up, and it was all rusty on the bottom, and the plastic sheet it was on also showed where it was laying in a puddle of water. I think he wanted 25 bucks. I asked if he knew it was all rusty. He then said he would raise the price to 30! [laugh][laugh] Next time I went back, I took my gun to see if it was a match, but he wasn't there. The garage sale was not on that day I guess.
Clarence Floyd. Retired army vet. Good dude. (978-582-1435)

So what I gather here is, the Mill is filled with a bunch of snotty wanna be gun shops who only want to cater to the know it all's.
So what I gather here is, the Mill is filled with a bunch of esoteric gun shops who chose not to compete with ilks of the deli ticket emporium.

So what I gather here is, the Mill is filled with a bunch of snotty wanna be gun shops who only want to cater to the know it all's.

So what I gather here is, the Mill is filled with a bunch of esoteric gun shops who chose not to compete with ilks of the deli ticket emporium.
Its a Rorschach Test. You see what you want to see.

1670901925710.png

Attachments

• 1670901846923.png
    1670901846923.png
    489.8 KB · Views: 31
I am still a noob, but in 2020 when I was an ultra noob I found myself at the Mill for the first time, not understanding what it was, or the distinction between a sole-proprietor FFL and an LGS. Lines were out the door on a Saturday at some of the places, yet the FFL's there treated me with respect and patience despite my obvious ignorance. Particularly KAG Arms. So props to them.

Funny, because it is this same NES where people say to new people who are looking for a new gun to go and try holding different ones, and see what feels comfortable and good, and fits your particular hand and style. How does one do that, yet follow the above advice? People want to compare A to B, and then C to D, then A to D, then ask some questions and find out why maybe B is better for their needs than the others, then they can try to try one out. Those are the customers who will come back and buy there, again and again. Get ignored, and they will take their money and do business elsewhere.

Not sure if serious, tire kickers are not that great wrt actual profit. (that’s exactly what that smells like btw). and I say that as someone who has gladly spent like 30 minutes or even over an hour with shitloads of people talking about what gun they want to buy and that kind of thing…. . and I think maybe I landed the plane 6 times out of dozens of people like that. Usually after the first 5 minutes you know wether they’re serious or not.. Most of them will just waste your time but you entertain them because it’s a customer goodwill thing for the shop. These people are not useful for revenue at all (in a bottom line sense). but they can destroy your reputation. Most of them after you have a great convo with them will not come back. They will flint on it and f*** you out of a sale, buying from puds, a box store or some other shit place…. or the bottom 50% not buying anything at all. thats the reality of gun retail.

let me put it this way I have sold dozens and dozens of guns to frequent fliers at gun retail. None of these people need dog and pony shows, you get them the guns they want to look at they study things and commit. The contrast is like night and day.

That is exactly what took place when i went to Defensive Dynamics the first time on a Saturday, there were many people in the store and (after checking my LTC) Steve brought out 4 handguns, told me to go by feel, see which felt better and then ask any questions. Went with an HK VP9 (with Holosun green dot) and case of 9mm that day and have been back many more times (with other people who buy). I'm sure that there are other great stores at the Mill, but like you said, I've built a relationship at DD and if they are an example of the rest of the Mill, i'll say that they encourage shooters of ANY experience level and are all too happy (and patient) to work with you.

I am looking to have suppressor height night sights installed on my Glock 19x (has an RMRcc installed). Can anyone recommend a shop that will have them in stock and can install them for me preferably on Sunday? Thinking of making a trip out there this weekend.

I am looking to have suppressor height night sights installed on my Glock 19x (has an RMRcc installed). Can anyone recommend a shop that will have them in stock and can install them for me preferably on Sunday? Thinking of making a trip out there this weekend.
I have the big boy tool (the actual vise with inserts and adjustments, not the little clamp) if you want to borrow it for free lol. I'll be near the Mill sunday anyways

I hadn't heard of The Mill, but I did get a notice today from ATF saying they are doing a massive inspection of all FFLs in The Mill, and they've called in reinforcements to do them all at once. I also noted some previous press reports about the place - the usual left wing wailing and hand-wringing. Best wishes to you all.
BATF press release 2/3/2023

I hadn't heard of The Mill, but I did get a notice today from ATF saying they are doing a massive inspection of all FFLs in The Mill, and they've called in reinforcements to do them all at once. I also noted some previous press reports about the place - the usual left wing wailing and hand-wringing. Best wishes to you all.
Im impressed you could remember your password from 14 years ago

It's a combination of my browser remembering it and being in my password vault :)
It sounds like a pretty cool place. From google results and some of the related threads I saw on here (TLDR) it sounds like it's under threat from the usual suspects in liberal government and press, plus maybe being sold. I'll have to look up where Littleton is and stop in and explore if I'm ever in the area.

Last edited:

Cuz muh authoritay

Anybody in the mill do some light gunsmithing and have a knightstick? I want to get rid of the flash hider on my sr15 upper and p/w my QDC mams on it so I can finish my scr project.

Anyone have a recommendation on a FFL @ the Mill that'll do a transfer for a decent price? Looking at a LEO trade in off the internet that I'd like to pickup/collect.
Reached out to a FFL in Tewksbury, haven't heard back yet - just want to have a back up plan.

Back
Top Bottom