• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The meaning of Life

As is my wont in the winter months my range time has been spent concentrating on shooting the rifle standing unsupported. My current plateau seems to be centered on the fact that the trigger sucks. I can't decide whether the correct path is to throw a couple Benjamins at it and remove that excuse, or seize upon the opportunity to teach myself to manage a shitty trigger. Any thoughts?

If you know your trigger sucks and can be replaced/massaged...
and do nothing about it...
Karma your ammo...

Last edited:
The last two years the rifle of choice has been a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62 Russian, topped with a 1-4 Leup.

I can offer training steps, procedures, assuming you are trying to do Off hand/ Standing. Yes, what rifle are you using? If you throw new trigger $$ at a cheap gun , you have a cheap gun with a good trigger. Where the cost of a good target rifle should be compared to your total package of existing rifle with new trigger. I was assuming you were going with 22LR.
In my opinion, 7.62 is an expensive way to learn how to shoot standing, but you should ask yourself, how good do you want to get?, What are your goals?
Learning standing from scratch is hard, even harder using a scope, with that said, 1-4 is low magnification , so it would be best , if you are set on using a scope.

Last edited:
Is the rifle accurate when shot from a rest?

If yes, replace the trigger and learn again. If no, get a new rifle. A new trigger won't change a thing.

I can offer training steps, procedures, assuming you are trying to do Off hand/ Standing. Yes, what rifle are you using? If you throw new trigger $$ at a cheap gun , you have a cheap gun with a good trigger. Where the cost of a good target rifle should be compared to your total package of existing rifle with new trigger.
I have several rifles that are far better target rifles. The goal for me is not so much to be competitive in Hi Power as it to be very competent with my Rem Model 7 in the deer woods.

If yes, replace the trigger and learn again. If no, get a new rifle. A new trigger won't change a thing.
Yes. It is surprisingly accurate off a rest. Certainly accurate enough so that is not the limiting factor at this point.

Quantify shitty trigger-

Does it break at 5 lbs or less? Unless crunchy and unpredictable, just shoot it. Might be some cheap mods / tricks to smooth it out and/or drop the pull weight too.

Download a printable NRA 'SR-1' target center and print a few out for practice at 100 yards. Standing & shooting offhand, if you can hold the 10-ring you are ready to head to Camp Perry, LOL. Might be a little humbling at first but if you can score in the 80's you are doing fine. Technique and practice are much more important than the trigger unless it's really horrible.

NRA-SR-1-Target-by-Targets4Free-Preview-Snip-234x300.jpg

Quite the contrary, a better trigger is going to result in better scores/results - especially from the standing position. How the rifle shoots from the bench is irrelavent.

As is my wont in the winter months my range time has been spent concentrating on shooting the rifle standing unsupported. My current plateau seems to be centered on the fact that the trigger sucks. I can't decide whether the correct path is to throw a couple Benjamins at it and remove that excuse, or seize upon the opportunity to teach myself to manage a shitty trigger. Any thoughts?
Don't waste your time with a shitty trigger. Standing at 200 yards, a smooth consistent trigger is pretty important.

Life is too short to shoot guns you don't like. If you want a trigger fixed, or something needs to be customized to fit you, then when you can afford it, you should do it.

I have had guns that I liked pretty well, then had a little work done, and they became favorites. Years later, they are still my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom