The material used for "Battle Packs"?

Good evening NES,
I was doing an inventory of personal ammo and unbeknownst to me, the missus bought a half dozen .308 battle packs. What material is the sleeve of these battle packs made out of? And can you DIY a way to seal up some bulk ammo? It seems like if sealed correctly, you could bury the ammo for years and years and open it up and it would function fine.
Any input is appreciated!

I also think it is PVC, but you can seal ammo in regular Foodsaver bags and vacuum seal it. Although ammo can stay fresh for many decades in a cardboard box or steel ammo can just as well.

Anything dipped in WAX (paraffin) will last a long time. Think Canning Jar.

Especially if you seal Silica Gel in with it.

But make sure the Silica Gel is dry first. Microwave some for 10 to 30 seconds on a Paper Towel and see it moisture is given off. A lot of Silica Gel is sold already saturated, especially if you buy from China (personal experience).

Someone should design a resealable bag made out of that material and line it with an anti corrosion coating.

I have other similar zipper bags but none of them are as heavy duty as the battle pack plastic or pvc is.

I called my friends dad he seals a lot of meats.... he says he uses 8 mil vac seal bags. although he recently started to try 5 , mil Mylar bags?
He asked what I was sealing. I said ammo. He laughed and said the ammo cans have done him well for 50 plus years.
He then tried selling me a bunch of 1940s surplus 30-06!

Back
Top Bottom