"The Load" - revisited

My experience has been that I don't know the hardness or velocity of my reloads, but I rarely run a brush down the bore of the m96 or K31; they always look pretty clean to me. Perhaps, I am not as particular as most shooters. I simply don't see where they are dirty or fouled.
Recently, I've been running more of the coated bullets, since they are quite affordable and eliminate the need to cast, lube and size my own cast bullets. Granted, I do prefer the Lyman #266469 profile over the 150g GCTC that I've been buying, but I can live with that.
Personally, I am not so concerned with velocities, but rather if the loads shoot and group okay. Since I'm shooting cardboard, not Cape Buffalo, it's not that critical. Yes, I've used the 18g plastic riot bullets in the K31 and FR-7 to knock down bowling pins, so how much more energy is required?
Get out there and experiment (within reason) and find what works for you...

Okay...perhaps the hardness scale on this one is questionable..

My experience has been that I don't know the hardness or velocity of my reloads, but I rarely run a brush down the bore of the m96 or K31; they always look pretty clean to me. Perhaps, I am not as particular as most shooters. I simply don't see where they are dirty or fouled.
Recently, I've been running more of the coated bullets, since they are quite affordable and eliminate the need to cast, lube and size my own cast bullets. Granted, I do prefer the Lyman #266469 profile over the 150g GCTC that I've been buying, but I can live with that.
Personally, I am not so concerned with velocities, but rather if the loads shoot and group okay. Since I'm shooting cardboard, not Cape Buffalo, it's not that critical. Yes, I've used the 18g plastic riot bullets in the K31 and FR-7 to knock down bowling pins, so how much more energy is required?
Get out there and experiment (within reason) and find what works for you...

Okay...perhaps the hardness scale on this one is questionable..

if you have not experienced leading , your doing well. I had some leading issues and believe me when leading developes it gets nasty quick

Great powder choice as far as leading at the velocity the load produces leading usually isnt an issue when my son was 12 I gave my son Remington 03 that was like new from dcm anyways he wanted to shoot the gun regularly and ed harris load fit the bill . For me it was blessing cheap to shoot and not burning up my 4064 and4895 I use to cast him a bunch of these they avg at 170 with gas ck if you want a handful or 2 shoot me a pm and will send some out to you to try out.20160719_180134.jpg
Hi Guys!

Sorry but I had to go to w*rk.
I'm willing to concede that 2400 might not be the best powder for reduced loads if it will get us back on track.
The 13 grs of Red Dot seems to be a good choice for now. It shows good accuracy and I have a bunch of it. The 13 gr load fills the 30-06 case about half full, so a double charge would be pretty obvious.

Water dropping the cast bullets nominally doubles the hardness. Anyone want to speculate whether the increased hardness might eliminate the need for a gas check.

Great powder choice as far as leading at the velocity the load produces leading usually isnt an issue when my son was 12 I gave my son Remington 03 that was like new from dcm anyways he wanted to shoot the gun regularly and ed harris load fit the bill . For me it was blessing cheap to shoot and not burning up my 4064 and4895 I use to cast him a bunch of these they avg at 170 with gas ck if you want a handful or 2 shoot me a pm and will send some out to you to try out.View attachment 172503
Hi Guys!

Sorry but I had to go to w*rk.
I'm willing to concede that 2400 might not be the best powder for reduced loads if it will get us back on track.
The 13 grs of Red Dot seems to be a good choice for now. It shows good accuracy and I have a bunch of it. The 13 gr load fills the 30-06 case about half full, so a double charge would be pretty obvious.

Water dropping the cast bullets nominally doubles the hardness. Anyone want to speculate whether the increased hardness might eliminate the need for a gas check.

Bumped the WST load to 10.0g and things got up to the point of aim. Also seated the bullets to the crimp groove.
Now, get someone that can actually see and I'm sure results could be better.. Personally, I don't think the reduced loads are the culprit.

Initial attempt with 8.0g WST...

Seemed to find quite a few of the Al gas checks about 5 meters from the muzzle with the 8.0g load.
My first purchases of the 6.5 bullet had copper gas checks (see earlier pic of red and gold bullets). Norm must be making his own now for 6.5mm. They (aluminum gc) don't stay on as well as the copper variety.

This is a really old post, but is Norm still making these? I'd love to pick some up. Thanks!

I think he uses the RCBS mold for the 150g 6.5mm...not sure. I haven't ordered from him in quite awhile, so "andrew1220" and others here are probably better informed about Norm's offerings.
Neither have I been doing any casting of late, but I do have the Lyman 266469 molds and they work well sans gas checks.
All my old pics have disappeared, so I'll bore you with some repeats...

Attachments

• 6.5coated(3).jpg
    6.5coated(3).jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 6.5Swede150g.jpg
    6.5Swede150g.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 5
  • 6.5x55(1).jpg
    6.5x55(1).jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 6
  • P7030041.JPG
    P7030041.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 6
I've used Unique, Bullseye, WST, W473AA, 571, 572AA (?), 231, Bulk, Trail Boss and probably a few others. Don't ask me for specific recipes, since I have used so many. I'd do a few test loads before going into full scale production. With a bolter it need only clear the barrel, at a minimum, but why have a bullet that drops ten feet from the muzzle.
I know I had loaded about 25 grains of Lil Gun (it's been awhile and I don't have the specifics) in the Hakim. It functioned well and didn't throw the brass to the neighbor's. Generally, I stick to book loads for the autoloaders.

Attachments

• P6260020.JPG
    P6260020.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 3
I've used Unique, Bullseye, WST, W473AA, 571, 572AA (?), 231, Bulk, Trail Boss and probably a few others. Don't ask me for specific recipes, since I have used so many. I'd do a few test loads before going into full scale production. With a bolter it need only clear the barrel, at a minimum, but why have a bullet that drops ten feet from the muzzle.
I know I had loaded about 25 grains of Lil Gun (it's been awhile and I don't have the specifics) in the Hakim. It functioned well and didn't throw the brass to the neighbor's. Generally, I stick to book loads for the autoloaders.
I dable in the auto loaders, finding a light charge that cycles and has accuracy has been a challenge. Theres just not enough gas volume left for alot of the gas systems to work.
I have a H4895 load for the M1 but its not what I consider light . Its reduced but not enough for the intended results of “reduced loads” plus accuracy is so so.

For 50 yard gallery I use trail boss
For 100 /200 yards its 2400
I have a few other pistol powder loads I use more so to get rid of the powder

Back
Top Bottom