• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Last Hole in the Collection is Filled; Smith-Corona - PICS UP

The Smith-Corona came today. Used but not too abused. Stock is screaming for a bath in soapy water and a coat of BLO. Proofs are good, save 'FJA' is a little rough. Bore is dirty but should clean up to a 7. This is not the pristine Remington I sold this summer, but a good, honest, non-refurbished piece. Only Remington parts are the rear swivel and the stamped trigger guard assembly; straight stamp versus curved at the front screw. Some how I missed that - I was picking between three pieces when I selected this one. Have a rear swivel, butt kit, and sight hood on the way. The sling and muzzle cover I had saved for the day I would replace the 03A3.

Well, I've re-balanced my collection, and was able to give the B.O.W. (Bank of Wife) $4000 towards various bills. A positive balance in the account puts me in a good light.

IMG_4026.jpg IMG_4027.jpg IMG_4028.jpg IMG_4029.jpg IMG_4030.jpg IMG_4031.jpg IMG_4032.jpg

t

Listen to you... “the last hole...”

That’s the thing about collecting stuff. There are ALWAYS more holes. Congrats, though.

Listen to you... “the last hole...”

That’s the thing about collecting stuff. There are ALWAYS more holes. Congrats, though.

All the holes for now. I wanted the ones back that I sold this summer. They're not nearly as nice as the ones I had. I have my 10 Mausers, "WW2 powers" pieces, and most Americans save the M17 and M98 Krag. The M17 was uncomfortable, so I won't replace that. May or may not get a Krag. Will probably find a 'hole' at some point, but I'm finally happy the way things are now.

t

Good! I’m not as into US pieces, but an 03 is always worth celebrating.

I’ve never shot an M1917, but I’ve got a Pattern 14 that I like very much; I’ve always felt that’s an underrated design.

I found it too heavy and the trigger was about 1 inch too far away for comfort. I also didn't like the lack of windage adjustment.

T

Well maybe a Remington....some day...at least for historical value. Most people don't know that the M17 was carried by 3/4 of the Doughboys, not the reverse.

T

Last edited:
I think I have a SC trigger guard in the parts bin. If that's what you're looking for let me know and I'll send you some pics.

Thanks O.N. I just got one and it's on the way, as well as the follower and band spring, which were "R" marked. Stripped it down last night and gave it a hot bath with Palmolive and a sponge, nothing more. First coat of straight BLO disappeared in 2 minutes. Let the second coat sit for half an hour. Off to the range today to try it out.

t IMG_4045.jpg IMG_4046.jpg IMG_4047.jpg

Last edited:
No problem, glad you found what you were looking for. It's a beaut, let us know how it performs!

Range report; about 50F, windy, mostly overcast, damp chill. Shot 40 rounds of mixed HXP at 100 yards. First shot was the 4:00 6/7 splitter. Eventually worked 4 clicks left. Stringing is finding the Kentucky elevation. Settled with the bridge of the front sight under the rim of the rear peep and the tip of the blade on the black. Rifle functioned flawlessly, ejecting brass a good 6 feet. Group will be better next time. Shot with the front sight cover on as I couldn't get it off. Bore cleaned up very well, say an 8/9.

Traditional HXP flieger at 11:00.

t

IMG_4055.jpg IMG_4057.jpg

And the biggest piece is now correct. For those not in the know, M03A3 parts were not numbered, but there are subtle differences between some Smith-Corona and Remington parts. First off, most Remington parts have a "R" stamped on them somewhere while Smith-Corona's are unmarked. Second, there are cosmetic differences between some parts. Take the trigger guard here; look at the front screw hole. The Remington has a straight raised stamping behind the plain screw hole. The Smith-Corona has a curved, raised stamping behind the hole and the hole itself has a bezeled edge.

t

IMG_4065.jpg

Last edited:
Range report; about 50F, windy, mostly overcast, damp chill. Shot 40 rounds of mixed HXP at 100 yards. First shot was the 4:00 6/7 splitter. Eventually worked 4 clicks left. Stringing is finding the Kentucky elevation. Settled with the bridge of the front sight under the rim of the rear peep and the tip of the blade on the black. Rifle functioned flawlessly, ejecting brass a good 6 feet. Group will be better next time. Shot with the front sight cover on as I couldn't get it off. Bore cleaned up very well, say an 8/9.

t

View attachment 213915 View attachment 213916
If the front cover is the smaller style (USMC covers are larger and can be used on the sight) the regular sight protector IMHO is just to small.

Therss a few things you can do to help accuracy
1. Action screw tightness. Both my 1903a3 and 1903a4 clone like 30inlbs. Even front and rear.
2. You can get the USMC .100" front blade by bill benz and he can make the proper height for what ever zero you would like. I have a few one is the proper height for M2 ball ballistics 150 grains approx 2700 fps to shoot Point of aim point of impact at 200 on 200. (Since I got my correct Rx for shooting I went back to center hold)
Another for my 168 grain match loads that run a bit slow.
The third is for my cast loads which on 200 yard rear sight setting will give me 100 yard hold/impact
I let my eye center that front sight in the rear aperture.
The .100" USMC front blade thickness is a God send. The larger USMC front sight hood is almost useless for target shooting other than cutting glare down considerably.
Watch the stock bedding. Tighten the front just finger tight mark the receiver with a pencil for reference then tighten the rear screw. Watch for any movement.
The C stock is also a good improvement vs the straight stock.

There's a chart out there by Bob S. That has the rough minute of angle changes for each rear sight setting.

t

View attachment 213915 View attachment 213916
How's the crown. I have some bores that look awful but shoot sub 3moa as long as the bore spins the bullet and it's not collecting unusual amounts of fouling they will shoot!

Rear sight was one click up; I think that's 200. I can try moving it down one.

I don't have a torque wrench to measure. I tighten as hard as I can with moderate pressure and leave it at that.

This is what I didn't like about the M03A3 platform; the blade front sight. If it had the winged front sight like the Garand or M1 carbine, I'd do a lot better. But this wasn't bad at all first out with it.

Crown pic.

Brian, I can come visit one day if you want to go over it. I can bring my Garand as well.

I also have new screws coming; these are slightly buggered (not by me).

t

IMG_4066.jpg

Last edited:
Crown looks ok.
You can buy a reproduction front sight protector and cut the top off to make "wings" if you like that sight picture. You would need to solder the bent tabs before cutting it then cold blue or repark it.
Biggest gain for me with regard to shooting it for score was the wide USMC front blade.

The torque screw drivers can be had for short money. I,have the wheeler model and it's plenty good enough for our needs. I have tested it against my snap on and Klein and it's been spot on with maybe a little loose vs the Klein

Tim I won't have anytime soon to check it out. The 1903a3 is not my better knowledge of rifles.
The rear sight is probably one of the worst on US rifles.
Often loose and the yardage aperture will move under recoil. I have replaced my windage detent spring which helped a lot with the soft feel to the adjustments.
The 1903a3 of all I have seen have so many variables on point of aim vs Point of impact. I have seen just a slight raised rib to a extra tall home made copper front sight.
Stock bedding plays a huge role in point of impact. If the receiver is not sitting even it will shoot high and low depending on where it's tilting.
Stringing is hard to diagnose most stringing can be be reduced by being aware of your breathing and trigger control along with focus on the front sight.

Last edited:
All the holes for now. I wanted the ones back that I sold this summer. They're not nearly as nice as the ones I had. I have my 10 Mausers, "WW2 powers" pieces, and most Americans save the M17 and M98 Krag. The M17 was uncomfortable, so I won't replace that. May or may not get a Krag. Will probably find a 'hole' at some point, but I'm finally happy the way things are now.

t

Not an M96 Krag? They were more likely to have been used in the Spanish-American war.

All right, all right, ALLRIGHT! I broke down and picked up a decent rebuilt Eddystone, SN 194K, from the seller I've bought 8 pieces from and still have 6. As with the Smith-Corona, this one begs for a soap and water bath and a cleaning. January 1918 rebuild with a great 12/18 Winchester 6-groove barrel in a Winchester stock. Rest seems to be Eddystone. Blue/park is much faded, but nice. Needed for the historical value. I'll pay it with the funds from the SMLE when I get paid for it at the end of the month. Faint RIA rebuild stamp.

Call it my Christmas present.

t

pix478481808.jpg
pix008101189.jpg
pix124156006.jpg
pix409351577.jpg
pix993983779.jpg

Last edited:
All right, all right, ALLRIGHT! I broke down and picked up a decent rebuilt Eddystone, SN 194K, from the seller I've bought 8 pieces from and still have 6. As with the Smith-Corona, this one begs for a soap and water bath and a cleaning. January 1918 rebuild with a great 12/18 6-groove barrel in a Winchester stock. Rest seems to be Eddystone. Blue/park is much faded, but nice. Needed for the historical value. I'll pay it with the funds from the SMLE when I get paid for it at the end of the month. Faint RIA rebuild stamp.

Call it my Christmas present.

t

View attachment 214131
View attachment 214132
View attachment 214133
View attachment 214134
View attachment 214135
Nice.... I missed out on many of these chasing garands several years ago. A good shooter could be has for $300-$350 then service grade garands where $519 shipped IIRC

I could probably get top dollar for the Winchester stock and get an Eddystone stock to replace it...or to keep it 'stock'....

t

Too "warm" to shoot. Puttering about the office, watching football, playing with the bunnies. Sewed 20 buttons on Spencer's trousers for the GAP in January.The SC begged for a little highlighting.

t

Attachments

• IMG_4114.jpg
    IMG_4114.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4098.jpg
    IMG_4098.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4108.jpg
    IMG_4108.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4110.jpg